Bra's..

SonnyH

Reaction score
This is my first pregnancy and up until now, not really had any thoughts about bra's other than buying myself a couple in a larger size when my boobs got bigger. Pre pregnancy I was a 34B so pretty small and now I'm a 36C. I always wear Primark underwired tshirt bra's (cheap, comfortable and they fit me really well). Anyway, I was talking to my friend yesterday and she was horrified I was still wearing underwired bra's?! She said it's really detrimental to your milk supply and all the changes going on it your boobs :(

Naturally, I went straight to google and actually, most of the professional advice out there is that there is no evidence underwired cause any harm. But I wondered what people's opinions were on the matter?

My bra's are very comfy, I never feel restricted, the wire sits well under the boob and most of the time I don't notice I'm even wearing it.. is that therefore OK?

Totally fine. I am a very large bra size and don't have a choice- must have underwire. It never messed with my milk.

It doesn't do anything to your milk supply hun :) the thoughts are that when breasts are developing/changing for example through puberty that it is better to wear softer, less structured bras to allow those changes to happen. Towards the end and in the first several weeks of breastfeeding when the biggest changes happen I'll probably stick to just material bras, partly because they get massive and sore haha. It's just thought to be better for the breast tissues as they develop, but I've never heard it related to milk supply. The most important thing is that you have bra free times, like don't sleep in restricted bras and if you're comfortable then spend time in the evenings braless haha. But honestly it won't do any harm if you don't want to. X

I've read it doesn't have to do with supply but with putting pressure on the tissue and maybe causing clogged ducts or pain. If you're not uncomfortable I wouldn't worry about it. I hate underwire and have never worn it personally. Really limits my bra choices.

Thanks ladies, that's all very helpful to know! I never sleep in my bra's, I've never needed the support and I like the freedom! :) I can see that non underwire would probably be very comfortable when you start breastfeeding and you are feeling more uncomfortable than usual! I'll def be getting some nursing bra's nearer the time! But I think I'll stick to what I've got for now as long as I find them comfortable!

In my first pregnant I was super paranoid about this so went through my whole 9 months without under wired bras feeling miserable and frumpy. I read just after I had the baby that it doesn't matter as long as the bra is fitted properly and is comfortable. In my second pregnancy I wore under wired the whole time and didn't have any problem with milk supply, as a matter of fact I tend to have over supply. This time I'm wearing under wired again and have no concerns that it will affect my supply at all.

A proper fitting underwire does not put ANY pressure on breast tissue, it rests on the ribcage around the breast. If it sits on your tissue, it is too small or a poor fit.

I wear almost all underwires as I have large soft breasts and I need the support.

I agree with the other posters, as long as you are wearing the correct size bra an underwire bra is great for support and should not cause any problems.

I'm a member of a private fb group that helps with measuring the correct bra size, so many women wear the incorrect bra size, its amazing, you would also be suprised of your true bra size when measured correctly. Heres the link if you're interested.

https://booborbust.com/bra-measuring-guide/

https://m.facebook.com/BoobOrBust/

Thanks so much! I'll have a look! I do get measured, usually in M&S and then scuttle off and buy my bra's cheaper elsewhere! :) I will pay for good quality but honestly, I've had a M&S tshirt bra and a Primark one running at the same time and they are identical. Probably made in the same factory..!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->