Braxton-Hicks frequency/Is labor coming soon?

Bella1002

Reaction score
I know that real labor contractions are far more intense and occur closer and closer together. My question is:

Does the frequency of Braxton-Hicks contractions have anything to do with how close you are to going into labor? In other words, if I am having braxton-hicks contractions 5 times a day (versus 2 times a day just as an example), even though there is no real pattern to them (the way there is with labor contractions), does this in any way indicate labor is near?

I thought of this because i know they are your body's way of preparing for labor.... so it would make sense that they would increase in frequency the closer you get to your body actually going into labor.

Anyone know?

Didnt want to read and run but I would like to know the answer to this as well -- will ne stalking this threads

Well, I definitely have more in a day now than I did a month or two ago. A little over a week ago - I had them 2-3 minutes apart for 4 hours! I had gone to L&D for a little bleeding and got to watch them pop up on the monitor as they were happening. But the next day I had just one or two all day :shrug: I probably have 5-10 a day now, and unlike a month or so ago they are actually uncomfortable (period like pain) versus just tightening. But at that point I think they actually start to get your cervix ready. I don't think it's something that can really be counted on, unfortunately.

and unlike a month or so ago they are actually uncomfortable (period like pain) versus just tightening. But at that point I think they actually start to get your cervix ready. I don't think it's something that can really be counted on, unfortunately.

This is what happened to me today. I had been experiencing the tightening feeling for a few weeks now. With the tightening it was more of an all over sensation in my entire abdomen, not so much lower down by my pelvis. While they were a little uncomfortable, I wouldn't describe them as painful on any level.

But today what I felt was, not so much tightening, but menstrual-like cramps that started at my lower pelvis and radiated down to my upper thighs. This is exactly how my menstrual cramps used to feel. And instead of the periodic tightening that might have occurred one day for a little bit, and then nothing for days, this has been occurring since early afternoon.

I haven't tried timing them or anything because it seems more like a constant dull ache. But maybe I would notice it more if I payed attention to them exclusively? I definitely have periods where they are more intense, and then die down, but it doesn't seem like they ever fully go away, and changing positions doesn't do anything.

bumping!
i know this is an old thread, but im wondering this bc my BHs have picked up A LOT in the last couple of days!

Even though I'm not full term yet, I still would like to know the answer to this, too.
I'm curious as to whether this is a sign I won't go overdue again as I've felt them waaay more in this pregnancy and didn't feel any but maybe one or two with my first.
I know they're more present in second and subsequent pregnancies, but couldn't hurt to ask. I've had a feeling that this little girl will not make it much past full term for some weird reason.
Just a feeling though, of course I want her to bake as long as she needs to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->