break the bank prams- showboating or necessity?

I fell unexpectedly pregnant and had no clue about babies, buggies, or anything to do with this world! I wanted the best pushchair, but didn't bother looking them up or anything so just went to the nearest baby shop (Mama's and Papa's) and asked for the best pushchair. Lol. They sold me the Sola travel system which including the carry cot, car seat and a few other things was about....£500 ish.
I have absolutely NO faults with it whatsoever, it's brilliant and it rates second on Which.com.
However, now i've moved to a new area...a very nice area in SW London lol and have since noticed there IS pushchair snobbery. Literally, EVERYONE around here has a stokke, bugaboo or Icandy...I feel SO left out! And in all honesty, if I had known of pushchair snobbery when I went to buy one I would have bought a bugaboo! (Not a stokke...they look WEIRD lol).
But I didn't and really, considering mine works just great I really can't condone myself buying a whole new pushchair just to fit in. I always feel jealous,:blush: but even though I could afford one now, I just feel i'd be being really pathetic seeing as I already have a fab travel system.
I don't want to be one of those people!
I completely agree! And if this Sw london area is Wimbledon, then I hear ya! X

So, does anybody have this one? :haha:

https://www.mothercare.com/Maclaren...031&pf_rd_p=231490867&pf_rd_s=related-tab-3-5

I fell unexpectedly pregnant and had no clue about babies, buggies, or anything to do with this world! I wanted the best pushchair, but didn't bother looking them up or anything so just went to the nearest baby shop (Mama's and Papa's) and asked for the best pushchair. Lol. They sold me the Sola travel system which including the carry cot, car seat and a few other things was about....£500 ish.
I have absolutely NO faults with it whatsoever, it's brilliant and it rates second on Which.com.
However, now i've moved to a new area...a very nice area in SW London lol and have since noticed there IS pushchair snobbery. Literally, EVERYONE around here has a stokke, bugaboo or Icandy...I feel SO left out! And in all honesty, if I had known of pushchair snobbery when I went to buy one I would have bought a bugaboo! (Not a stokke...they look WEIRD lol).
But I didn't and really, considering mine works just great I really can't condone myself buying a whole new pushchair just to fit in. I always feel jealous,:blush: but even though I could afford one now, I just feel i'd be being really pathetic seeing as I already have a fab travel system.

LOL I grew up in Putney and Fulham, whenever I go back there I feel the eyes of judgement staring at me for being young and kind of looking like a hippy!

Also, I have a Sola too. I had no idea about buggies and my mum took me to get one as my birthday present. It was a hot day in June, I was almost 9 pregnant (yes I left it to last minute!) and pissed off so I just let her choose, she just happened to choose the most expensive one! I don't even use it, I hate using prams.

LOL I grew up in Putney and Fulham, whenever I go back there I feel the eyes of judgement staring at me for being young and kind of looking like a hippy!

Hahaha Barnes!!! Allll the same thing round here! None of the other mummies will talk to me cos i'm a 20 year old freak :cry:
And hubby isn't quite yet CEO of Accenture :rofl:

Also, I have a Sola too. I had no idea about buggies and my mum took me to get one as my birthday present. It was a hot day in June, I was almost 9 pregnant (yes I left it to last minute!) and pissed off so I just let her choose, she just happened to choose the most expensive one! I don't even use it, I hate using prams.

I didn't use mine much in the early days either, much prefered wearing him too! But I can't do it anymore now he's 5 months old! He's so fat! :rofl: I can't carry him...my shoulders feel like they're caving in!

I didn't use mine much in the early days either, much prefered wearing him too! But I can't do it anymore now he's 5 months old! He's so fat! :rofl: I can't carry him...my shoulders feel like they're caving in!

Get an Ergo hun! I can promise you Ivy is probably twice the size of Rory but I can't feel her weight at all.

And also I can't believe other mums won't talk to you - those bitches! Next time I come to Putney we should meet up and be shunned together! Maybe we should dress up as really slutty chavs and see the rage boil over :rofl:

Get an Ergo hun! I can promise you Ivy is probably twice the size of Rory but I can't feel her weight at all.

And also I can't believe other mums won't talk to you - those bitches! Next time I come to Putney we should meet up and be shunned together! Maybe we should dress up as really slutty chavs and see the rage boil over :rofl:

OMG that would be awesome! We could smoke puff whilst we're at it :winkwink: and I'll forget to put socks on Rory :rofl:
Seriously, I couldn't find two matching socks the other day for him so put odd ones on instead...the looks I got! :wacko:

Hahaha Barnes!!! Allll the same thing round here! None of the other mummies will talk to me cos i'm a 20 year old freak :cry:

It's the same in Blackheath/Greenwich in SE London... really quite sad when you see the other mums checking your pram out and giving you the "look"..:dohh:

Ivy hasn't worn matching socks in months. I would probably be given an ASBO for that in Putney :rofl:

I have a maxi cosi mura with both the soft and hard carrycot as well as normal pram body, a maxi cosi cabriofix base/seat, plus all the relevant raincovers, footmuffs, changing bag. In total, the lot cost about 350. The pram was on offer at Kiddicare but isn't really one of the showy prams that cost about a grand anyway. It's more mid-range.

It is sturdy, practical and comfy for the baby. The baby can face both ways for as long as wanted.

I don't think an expensive pram is 'necessary' (word in your title) as that would imply that without it the baby/parent is doing without something they need. It might be that a certain pram is wanted for whatever reason (looks better, looks more comfy, etc), but that doesn't mean that pram is necessary to the safe transportation of a baby.

Am I the only one who thinks all prams look pretty much the same? I would have no idea if one was expensive or not! Oh I haven't quite entered the world of motherhood yet have I?!

I have 5 prams in my house, all nice and bought off ebay, the most I have spent on a pram is forty quid and that was a double mothercare hoxton pram..all have been in excellent condition.

If I can get it cheaper, I will, that's not to disrespect people who do pay full price, if you can afford it, fine.

I have a pram addiction, and if it wasn't for ebay I wouldn't be able to afford em! :haha:

Am I the only one who thinks all prams look pretty much the same? I would have no idea if one was expensive or not! Oh I haven't quite entered the world of motherhood yet have I?!

:haha: You are so right! My husband can spot an apple pushchair from 10 miles away. To me they just look like a quinny with a different badge. :haha:

Am I the only one who doesn't get excited about prams / pushchairs and doesn't think any of them look particularly special!

Am I the only one who doesn't get excited about prams / pushchairs and doesn't think any of them look particularly special!

i bought the first pram i saw because it was polka dot and pretty. i didn't think about whether it would fit in my boot or how was to push or anything like that because i had no idea you were supposed to consider these things!

then again we just bought a new car and the only thing i cared about was the colour. i'm such a girl. :dohh:

It's the same in Blackheath/Greenwich in SE London... really quite sad when you see the other mums checking your pram out and giving you the "look"..:dohh:

Coming from Croydon originally you can see why I dont believe in pram snobbery :haha::haha: I'm no chav either and I didnt grow up wearing a shell suit ;)
But since moving to Brighton there is definitely some sort of competition going on there esp in the Hove area ;)

I am with you there! :thumbup:

When I bought mine I went into the shop and told her exactly what I needed and the one that ticked all the boxes was the iCandy cherry. The only other one was the oyster but at the time the colour packs hadn't come out and I didn't like the original colours. This is something I am going to have for 3/4 years so want to at least like it. I've also found that people who have bought cheaper ones end up buying more because it's too bulky or heavy etc whereas I am completely happy with mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->