Breast fed poop. Is this normal. ( day 5)

Glitter_berry

Mum of 2, 1 Pink, 1 Blue
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I have just had my baby, in an hour we will be starting day 5.
Yesterday my milk came in and since then baby boys poop is a mustard colour and boy does it stink.

Anyway my question is.

Is it normal for him to poop after / during every feed ? Is this just a reaction to my milk changing from colostrum within the last 24 hours?

Or do I have to start looking at things to eliminate from my diet?

They poop before feeds, during feeds, after feeds, go a week without pooping at all. It varies.

It may be something in your diet causing it to stink. I think BF poop usually smells inoffensive.

It's entirely normal, breastmilk acts as a laxative and causes frequent poops.

It doesn't usually smell offensive but the colour definitely sounds right.

I thought my baby's poo smelled like cheesecake or yogurt.

My BF baby's poop stinks, but only when you stick your nose in his diaper. How else could I tell when he pooped? I have a feeling I know nothing about stinky poop since he hasn't' started solids yet. It doesn't smell like adult poop, that's for sure.

Quite normal to poop after/during every feed at that age. Quite normal. It will slow down, he may go anywhere from 7x/day to once every 7 days and be perfectly normal. He will probably eventually stop doing it during the night though, I found that hard to believe when he was little but lo and behold he doesn't poop at night now!

Sometimes BF baby poo does stink for no real reason, their poo has 'good bacteria' aka probiotics in it and this can cause it to smell like all manner of things. My youngest's poo has smelled like everything from roast chicken to eggs to puréed mango to yoghurt and with the exception of the mango I don't eat any of those things xx

This sounds exactly identical to what happened when my milk was fully through. DS had a feeding, and barely 5 minutes later there was an incredibly loud wet poop which really did smell. Only wish I hadn't been so sore from my c-section as I couldn't stop laughing from Hubby's reaction to changing him :haha:

Yoghurt or KFC is a good description of what LO's smells like. Or freshly baked rolls according to DH:haha:

Yes!! Yogurt or KFC!! Everyone thinks I'm crazy when I say that. ( I don't really like KFC , so to me it smells rank!!)

Thanks for the replies ladies.

hahahahaha

i'm weird i know, but i like the smell of breastmilk poop. *hangs head in shame*

DH has also said it smells of freshly baked rolls...i say it's more of a yogurty sweet smell.

for the LONGEST time, my milk would let down and BAM, DS would have a poo.

i'm super broody so thinking about those breastmilk poos really makes me want another one! i thought they were so interesting LOL...all curdy and seedy looking. so strange!

When babies feed the is a gastro-colic reflex. Basically when they eat it makes their bowel muscles expand and contract and therefore that poo either during or after a feed. It the same reasons adults tend to poop after breakfast as this reflex kicks in after we've eaten our first meal of the day! Don't worry - my dd poop varies and still varies drastically. She used to get mega smelly green poo when she took too much foremilk per feed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->