breast feeding fears already

inked_mama

Reaction score
This is my first pregnancy, and it is super early, but the thought of breastfeeding is making me have a near panic attack. I don't know why I'm even worried or scared of it....especially only being like 6 or 7 weeks along at this point.

anyone else freaking out about things to come or is it just me??

I know its a natural thing but I cant imagine something latching onto me like that... Lol. Immature, I know. I plan on just pumping also because I work and can't always be there for feedings.

I hated the idea of breastfeeding too. I think it's awkward rather than natural but because it is so healthy etc. I had the attitude that I would try and if it didn't come naturally then I would use formula. I got thru the first week and then decided to go to formula because it was too difficult and expressing was taking twice as long.

This time, I will have the same attitude!!! Just do what u feel comfortable with - it is stressful enough being a new mum without having to worry about breastfeeding! Either way, your bub will be healthy =)

Aw why does breast feeding make you nervous? It's a lot of hard work but once you and the baby get the hang of it, it's smooth sailing!

I'm not sure why I'm so nervous about it. I guess it's just bizarre to imagine doing it...I think I'd feel better pumping in privacy and going that route...but we'll see. I suppose my feelings about it could change in the next few months. Thanks for the reassurance ya'll :)

Breastfeeding is definitely a foreign concept at first! It may seem weird but if you and baby stick with it, it quickly becomes the most natural thing in the world. Not to mention cheap (you can't beat free food!!), convenient (don't have to worry about having bottles, hot water, formula container, etc with you), and an instant fix for an upset baby. :) I won't get into all the benefits because they're so numerous and I'm sure you'll want to read up on it anyway. Just know that it does take patience and work but if you have a good support system and persevere, it pays off!! :D

P.S. When I used to pump, I would always go into a separate room (pumping is definitely not discreet!! haha) but it takes a lot more work and it's amazing how cut off you feel, sitting by yourself while everyone else carries on with their conversations, etc. Way nicer to be in the room with a quiet, feeding baby. :happydance:

I was also nervous about breastfeeding and wasn't sure about it. But straight after my c-section at about 2 in the morning, my midwife handed me the baby and she latched on, every time she fell asleep I put her in her cot and she would cry, so I picked her up and she would latch on and settle. We saw the sun come up together that first morning. Breastfeeding worrys went out the window. Can't imagine having to pump and sterilise with all them stiches, it was the most natural thing about my week induction and emergencey c-section. My advice is keep an open mind about everything and do what feels right at the time.

As everyone has said, take an open mind and don't listen to any horror stories. It may comfort you to know that only 2% of women can't breastfeed. So with determination you CAN do this :)

I gave up on breast feeding last time, I just felt baby was never satisfied and I'd be doing it for hours on end. It didn't feel unnatural though, once you try it.

This time I'm going to try to go to breastfeeding classes so I've got more support and advice.

bf was scary to me at first wth ds1 even though i grew up with my mum BF my siblings, i tried expressing for him but my milk supply died and we had to move to formula fully at 6wks after BF for 2 and mix feeding for 4 it was rough, i did 5 wks expressing with ds2 as well and then thankfully he latched properly and we got on with BF and have been going 14 months now, expressing is very very hard work its not something to be entered into lightly it involves being up in the night even once your baby is sleeping the whole night just to express. i would encourage you to give BF a go first before opting to simply express caus it aint that simple

Breastfeeding is natural but as it's never been part of your life before, it's easy to see it as unnatural and strange, i know i used to, but then i realised that the same could be said for everything else about this process. having something move around inside me- strange. something coming out of my vagina- strange. having something cut out of me that i then want to keep-even stranger! lol
what helped me was seeing other women breastfeed. i think if you've only ever seen FF it's hard to imagine just how easy and natural it can be. i remember seeing how calm and peaceful and happy my friend was breastfeeding her child and thinking 'i want that bond'. and it's selfish but i love the thought that even after birth when i have to share my baby with the world, there's this one thing that only i can do for him, so even with a massive family i still get a look in! lol x x

For information I am a qualified Breast Feeding Councillor and am available for any questions an fears, you may have about breastfeeding.

Ruth x

I want to breastfeed and Im really looking forward to it. This is my first pregnancy so Im not sure what to do, but I hope my MW can recommend groups or reading materials etc for me so I know what to do. Before I fell pregnant I just thought "well baby just sucks and gets fed", but there is a lot more to it: pain, latching, positiong.... I want to do well at it, thats whats making me nervous!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->