Breast Feeding On Demand - Do I Wake Her?

Buttonsbabe86

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Quick query really. My little one is 1 month tomorrow and I am breast feeding on demand exclusively.

When she was born the midwives said I should never let her go more than 4 hours without feeding. So I have always woken her between 2-4 hours to feed. To me though, this does not seem like it is 'on demand'.

Last night i went to sleep and my partner (up with baby who was asleep on him as won't settle in cot) never woke me for a feed. I woke up this morning after 8.5 hours. Panicked I ran downstairs and she was still peacefully asleep and fine. When she did wake, she was fine, happy and calm.

So my question is, is it ok not to wake your baby at night for a feed? Would people class it as neglect? Or is this how you get a night routine sorted? What do you all do?

xx

I could be wrong but I think now it's ok not to wake if baby is gaining weight, having enough wet nappies etc? I don't wake my 1 month old but she's being topped up with formula at the moment...but the longest she's slept is 4 hours :-/

Yes it should be fine to let her sleep at this point assuming that she's been gaining weight so far. :)

So long as she is gaining weight appropriately and has wet and dirty diapers then there is no need to wake her. I never once woke my daughter for a feed.

I would let her sleep if she is gaining weight and having enough wet nappies.

I fed my son on demand and never woke him, same this time round the longest she has gone is about 5ish hours before waking, if she is gaining weight has enough wet/dirty nappies I wouldn't worry :hugs:

I was also told the same about waking them I just smiled and nodded at the midwives whilst silently screaming at them to bugger off and let us get on with it our way :haha:

i never woke my boys for a feed, never. i let them determine their feedings. that said, they didn't sleep through the night at 1 month. congratulations to you for that!!!! :)

What the others said. I was also told to do this as my sil was looking on in horror shaking her head. I foolishly took the midwives advice. With no 2 I'll be wiser and only wake if they were born early, low weight, not many wet nappies etc

Enjoy that sleep Momma! As the others said, as long as she is having enough wet diapers and gaining weight, then take the sleep and enjoy!

The reason they tell you to wake baby isn't so much to make sure that baby is eating frequently but to make sure your milk supply get well established. Going for too long in the early days without emptying the breasts may reduce milk supply long term. (Or it may not btw, it's just a precaution.) Anyway, by 4 weeks that'll be less important and by 6 weeks, your supply should be well established. If you're worried about it, you could express before you go to sleep, which would also help you build a freezer stash. I wouldn't ever wake a baby to feed personally but mine have never gone more than 4 hours in the early days anyway. But either way, if baby is hungry, they will wake to feed. Unless they're not meeting their weight gain targets, I'd see no reason to feed them on a schedule at night, especially if they're feeding on demand during the day.

Thank you everybody, you have really eased my mind. I felt awful that I had let her go so long.

Nights are very hit and miss still, but most nights she is sleeping through, only waking for 1 feed.

I really appreciate all your help :flower:

I woke my son to feed, but only because he was jaundiced. If there are no health issues like low weight gain, jaundice etc, then let bub sleep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->