Breast feeding rule changes

Mapleroo

Reaction score
Hi ladies

I'm due to have baby #4 early May, I have only successfully BF baby #3 and that was almost 9 years ago. I have been stalking this forum for a while now and have noticed some changes in what is now considered the 'right' thing to do since the last time I did this. I had many issues with my first 2 babies that led to our downfall, but was relieved when I became 3rd time lucky and was able to get to a point where BF was a lovely experience. Of course now I know I can do it, I am still quite nervous about the hurdles ahead with this baby. From memory, latch wasn't a problem last time (I had learnt from my mistakes with baby #2 and knew how important it was to be sorted early on) I got a little sore, but no bleeding or cracking and lansinoh was great. Engorgement was a big problem between day 3-5. It was so painful and I felt like I had 2 concrete blocks hanging off my body. They were so hard they stood straight out and I couldn't get LO to latch. I tried hand expressing but that didn't work for some reason. I recall that I was supposed to feed him 15 mins one side and 10 on the other, every 3 hours. I have noticed from this forum that the preffered method is how ever long they want at anytime they want. My question is: Will this help reduce engorgement?? If not, any tips?? And also is there anything I can do to help avoid thrush?

Thanks so much in advance :)

You should definitely let them feed as long as they want and how often they want. It helps build supply and will definitley help engorgement. I never undrestood the whole 3 hour thing. I eat more often than that and my stomach isnt the size of a marble!

guidelines now say to nurse at demand, basically whenever baby is hungry, and that helps to regulate supply to fit baby's needs. My lactation consultant told me to nurse 10 min on one side, then 10 on other, then back 5 on one and 5 on other. When LO was small that is what I did, when she got older I just nursed 1 side till she emptied it and then nursed other side. I see some ladies nurse on one side only, and I tried that but hated having over full feeling on side that wasn't nursed on, so I just did both sides at a time. The most important thing is to nurse of demand to establish a good supply. good luck!

Yes on demand feeding is best for baby and your supply (even when it seems like baby hasn't stopped feeding all day/night!). You might still get some engorgement if baby has a long sleep or just naturally in the first few days of milk coming in, but if you're feeding on demand your body should work out what to produce and you would be less likely to have the same engorgement issues.

Avoiding thrush - limit sugar in your diet, have a probiotic drink or yogurt, change breast pads frequently so you don't have too much moisture on your nipples, allow your nipples to get some air time - try napping topless with a towel under you for leakage, avoid antibacterial gel/handwash as it kills the good bacteria that fight fungus (same goes for antibiotics but obviously you can't avoid these if you need them), hot wash bras, towels and sheets, vinegar wipe - 1 tbsp white vinegar in a cup of water, dip a cotton pad in the solution and wipe over nipples, leave to air dry. You can add vinegar to laundry too.

Thank you so much for all your advice! No doubt I will be back for more haha!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->