Breast feeding with another kid around

Pulirula

Reaction score
I plan to Breastfeed my baby. It didn't work so well with my DD so I'm hoping this time will be better. But here's my question.... my DD is 7 and I have been trying to teach her about modesty and keeping her self covered up. (She likes to come out of her room or shower half naked) I tell her that daddy doesn't want to see her naked and to get dressed. I'm not a prude or anything but how do I just whip out my boob to feed the baby and still enforce modesty to her? I'm not saying I'm against moms that BF in public because I'm not. How to I explain the difference to her? I personally won't be nursing around other people if it happens I'll cover myself up or go in a quiet room. I'm very shy as it is so Id want the privacy. She is very curious about boobs as it is. She tries to look down my shirt and also my moms. She doesn't understand why we have them and she doesn't. I have explained that I will be bf the baby and she thinks it's totally bizarre not using s bottle. Hope this doesn't insight an arguement or upset someone. I'm not trying to bash anyone. Just trying to figure this out!

I think if you're this concerned, I would go ahead and use a cover. My mom used to walk around naked after a shower and didn't cover when she nursed (at home), but she always modeled modesty out of the house. I knew very young there are different sets of rules at home versus out and about. But like I said if you are concerned, try a nursing scarf? I think continuing to be open and honest and answer her questions as they come or before they come is great. And if you don't want to do the scarf just tell her you are at home feeding your baby versus in public where you wouldn't expose yourself. If that makes any sense. Sorry!

I think your daughter is old enough to understand the difference, especially if you have a conversation with her about it.. BF is how babies eat! (Unless bottle fed but that's not this post) But like PP said, a nursing scarf is a great idea. And also, I always thought baby did a pretty good job of keeping things covered up anyway except for the few quick seconds to whip the boob out.

I agree. Just use a cover. I prefer using a cover when I nurse. Even at home. Gives me comfort.

She is going to continue to be curious and you're better off answering her questions. Just be honest (but age appropriate. Perhaps something like "we have boobs to feed babies, one day you'll have them too but right now you're only 7 so you don't need them yet".

As for feeding in front of kids - they will look, they may try to prod, it's natural - this is a whole new thing for her. You could cover up if you like but in my experience, she'll lift the scarf at home anyway (at least a few times). My son was 2 when I bf his brother and he asked for his own doll which he then used to mimic bf... so cute! Once he knew what was happening, he got bored of it and moved on to other things but I think if I hadn't let him look/ask questions, he would have been intrigued for much longer.

Breastfeeding is a great way to explain to her why you have breasts and she does not - women have breasts so they can feed their baby, and she doesn't have them yet because she isn't old enough to have a baby.

You can cover up at home if you like, but honestly I think it's a great thing for her to be curious about and to see as normal. I never used a cover at home or in public, and my breasts were never exposed, baby's head blocks pretty much everything and my clothes cover up the rest. My 6 year old niece was very interested the first time she saw me breastfeeding my DD, she sat next to me and inspected what was happening from inches away and then she looked up at me and asked "Is she DRINKING something?!?!" It was cute and we explained to her that it's how baby's eat. She was interested for about 5 minutes and then never again gave me a second glance when I was nursing. I think once your daughter sees you doing it once or twice it'll just become normal and she won't give it a second thought.

Thanks everyone. I try to answer all her questions about all this baby stuff. I think your right on her losing interest once she sees me bf a few times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->