Breast feeding with flat nipples

leigh5tom

Mum to two :)
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

When my little girl was born (she's now 22 months) I attempted to breast feed her, but unfortunately we both really struggled and I stopped after three weeks. She could never latch on properly and therefore I had mastitis twice and my nipples looked like they'd been cut off they were ripped to pieces. I had zero help from the hospital/health visitor/midwives and was basically left to get on with it. No one ever commented that it could be my nipples but in hindsight I think it could be because they are very flat! I never considered it a problem until doing some research online.
I'm expecting my second in 10 weeks and would really love to breast feed this time. Does anyone have any tipes or success stories? I'm concerned my nipples are too flat to feed with :-(
Thank you xxxxx

I have one nipple that was quite flat, it was challenging at first and I had to pump that side until he learned to latch. Finally got him on by rolling my nipple to get.it to stand up more. Once baby starts feeding better flat nipples will come out more and not be a problem. If you can get some help in the beginning it can make a huge difference, I saw a lc a few times and it really helped :)

I had flat nipples and what helped me was to softly ping or pull them to make them come out and to squeeze the side of my areola to put my nipple in DD mouth so she would get more to attach to. After a while they will come out on there own and it gets much easier to do and less painful. A major tip is to keep lanolin on them; after every feed put it on. it's safe for baby to latch and eat when your wearing it. And just keep in mind "soon I'll have this down and itll be 1000 times easier than making a bottle!"

Mine are flat, I got round the first 3 weeks by pinching just outside my nippe (imagine a pair if scissors) then shoving it in the mouth, as long as she got enough flesh into her mouth it didnt make me sore. I did get a little tender around the edges as all that sucking does eventually stretch your nipple out making life much easier! But no cracking or bleeding.
I would also demand support this time! I had to give up feeding after 6 weeks with my first baby as my nipples were a raw painful mess, a few simple tips from an expert watching me latch has saved me a lot of pain this time round! :)

I have one normal nipple and one inverted nipple. Well, it used to be inverted. At first my LO had a terrible time trying to latch on the right side because the nipple would not pop out (not with tweeking it, not with pumping... NOTHING!). So our LC in the NICU suggested that we try nipple shields. They help baby learn to latch without the frustration of trying to pull the nipple out by themselves. After about three weeks my LO was no longer jaundiced and decided to start latching by herself without the shield.

It was frustrating at first, but my DH was amazing. He would take LO whenever I started to get flustered, calm us both down and encourage us to try again. We also had amazing support in the NICU and from the hospital staff in the maternity ward. Our first goal was 3 weeks, then 3 months, then 6. Now that we are at 10 months I honestly doubt we'll stop until LO weans herself. She is an addict...

I would suggest a nipple shield also. I had a horrible time with lo latching because of flat nipples. Especially on my left boob. The nipple shield helped him latch on and eventually my nipples got better. Also pinching your nipple and making it flat and then putting it in the babies mouth is much easier for lo to latch on. Good luck! I hope this round if bf is successful for you!

Mine were flat and LO couldn't latch at all, it wasn't till I used the pump which pulled it out, the midwives told me to get nipple shields which I did but didn't need them in the end. I think you could try giving the expressing ago just to draw the nipple out x

Mine are fairly flat and we were able to nurse well from the beginning with no shields. The nurses showed me a technique to shape the nipple the right away while helping LO latch -- basically you squeeze the areola and sandwich the nipple in between and then point it the right way as you shove LO on.

Nipple shields are a great help to many women, but it can in some cases be possible to go without them, if you are able to find a technique that works for you.

Keep in mind that LO doesn't latch onto the nipple in any case. He or she latches on the areola -- the nipple just helps to find the right place.

I had the same worries and was afraid I wouldn't be able to breastfeed. I was lucky in that baby has a very good latch. Once I learned the correct way to get him on the breast it really helped draw out the nipples and we haven't had a problem. (besides some issues in the beginning with mastitis/thrush and sore nipples)

I also REALLY recommend seeing a lactation consultant to help you succeed. It can be rough in the beginning but well worth the effort!:flower: The lactation consultants helped me a TON!!!

All the advice here is great. I had one partly inverted nipple and I used a shield for a couple weeks till she developed an ok latch. I tried the "sandwich boob" also but I couldn't do that one by myself very well. I went back and forth between the shield and latching without it and I think we kicked it by the second month.

Demand help this time around. My husband actually stormed up and down the OB hunting the only decent nurse on call for me because I was getting zero help. I would have a nurse come in, see the bad latch and the pain in my eyes, and they were just "ooh shes just really hungry.. shes an eager nurses" no she wasn't. It took a male nurse who had watched his wife nurse all three of their kids to actually provide me with any help.

GOOD LUCK :hugs:

(She has lip tie that went undiagnosed that also caused us problems)

I have very flat nipples and when I was in the hospital the LC gave me a nipple shield for latching and it is working wonders!

Having similar problems, will be trying the nipple shields!

I have flat nipples (especially my right breast), and my LO is also moderately tongue-tied (but ped. says it doesn't need clipped). I spent the first 2 weeks of his life trying to get him to latch on while I pumped. My supply ended up going downhill in the meantime, but after working really hard and trying all options (shields, pumping first then offering the nipple, Supple Cups, etc.), he is finally able to latch on!! I'm now working on getting my supply up so that I can wean him from formula.

You can do it!! Be firm, be determined, and you can make it work. I wasn't able to nurse my first two children, but with a lot of determination this time I've been able to get him to latch on and feed, even though it's not EBF right now. I'm hoping one day to be able to EBF!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->