breast is no longer best...new research

Status
Not open for further replies.

ellie1275

pregnant- 2nd trimester
Reaction score
hi girls, was just wondering if anyone else saw this new research.
something to do with hormones in the womb affecting your ability to breast feed and the absence of these hormones causing allergies etc???
i.e. its isnt breasfeeding that causes babies to have less allegies etc!! its if the hormones are present!
it made me feel a hell of a lot less guilty!!
the breast police can go away now!

xxx:hugs:

here's a link to an article on it https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/n...wegian-scientist/story-e6freuzr-1225817155381

Its worth noting:
* The UK Government have dismissed the report
* This is the only one piece of research that has documented limited benefits of breastfeeding except that the IQ of breastfed children was higher. There are thousands of other studies stating benefits of breastfeeding

Its awful if you feel that people think you are not giving your child the best food but it doesnt end with formula - anytime your child has a treat etc there'll always be someone with a raised eyebrow!

I don't think that's at all saying breast isn't best?? There are many things that breastfeeding does for baby other than protecting from allergies, not only for baby but for the mother also. I've seen the article and don't really agree with it at all. It was posted in the breastfeeding section as well and many things that it said would make it harder for you to nurse the ladies there had and had no problem nursing. Anyways I don't think anyone should feel guilty for how they are feeding their babies AT ALL but I don't think it's right to make statements like that saying breastfeeding is no longer the best way to feed (if it's possible) because of one article.

please admin lock this before the whole breastfeeding/formula feeding thing goes off again.
women should be free to feed their baby however they choose, its not a competition. All that matters is that the babies are loved and well cared for.

I don't think that's at all saying breast isn't best?? There are many things that breastfeeding does for baby other than protecting from allergies, not only for baby but for the mother also. I've seen the article and don't really agree with it at all. It was posted in the breastfeeding section as well and many things that it said would make it harder for you to nurse the ladies there had and had no problem nursing. Anyways I don't think anyone should feel guilty for how they are feeding their babies AT ALL but I don't think it's right to make statements like that saying breastfeeding is no longer the best way to feed (if it's possible) because of one article.

sorry I didnt mean to offend...I wasnt saying breast is no longer best...that was the headline in the paper i read it in. I agree that there are other benefits...just wanted to hear people' views
i wasnt able to breast feed as my LO was in special care so I feel very guilty!:hugs:
xxx

please admin lock this before the whole breastfeeding/formula feeding thing goes off again.
women should be free to feed their baby however they choose, its not a competition. All that matters is that the babies are loved and well cared for.

You can report the thread to the mods and admin using the report button :thumbup: They will see that before the post in here most likely

sorry I didnt mean to offend...I wasnt saying breast is no longer best...that was the headline in the paper i read it in. I agree that there are other benefits...just wanted to hear people' views
i wasnt able to breast feed as my LO was in special care so I feel very guilty!:hugs:
xxx

No you didn't offend me at all, I was just commenting on the article not you. I've done both with my kids and don't feel guilty either way, they are all healthy and wonderful kids that's what matters. I don't think anyone should feel guilty about how they are feeding their kids :hugs:

hmmm, I haven't read it...i'm not interested to be honest.

of course the breast milk is the best for baby - I only did it for a short time - but I still have the common sense to know that what our bodies produce (if it does) is best for the baby.

It's not a debate to proof which is better. Frankly speaking God's made is much, much better than man's made. But again we were giving the right to choose what we think it's better for our babies (& for ourselves). I FF my LO but I do respect all those who BF. For me although I was planning to BF, I kept finding excuses not to do it as I didnt feel comfortable about it.

This is why, I am also not really interested to find another excuse for not breast feeding :D

I think this "new research" may be the preliminary findings from a long-running study into the benefits of breastfeeding and probiotic formula for children at high risk of allergies. We are in this study and I was told informally that the provisional results show that there IS a benefit to breastfeeding (exclusively or mix-feeding) in the first few weeks, albeit not as much of a benefit as they were expecting to find, but that after the first few weeks they hadn't found any evidence to support the theory that breastfeeding reduces allergies. They still don't have the results of the probiotic formula part of the study. If it is this study then it has been skewed a little bit for sensationalism.

I dont like hearing either is best really. Each has its pro's and con's which parents are more then able determine themselves.

^ What she said.

This subject gets soooooo old. There is a difference between opinion and pushing, which I admit I'm slowly learning :blush: "Breast is not longer best" may make some women feel better, but really, you should feel fine about your choice anyway. I'm pretty sure most of our parents generation were formula fed and they're fine.

For every piece of Pro-FF research there is, there's a piece of Pro-BF research to dispute it, and vise versa.... At the end of the day, you're going to do what you're going to dispite the research.

I dont think the op was sort of forcing her opinion on anyone, she was just putting this up for everyone to read as she feels guilty to have not been able to breastfeed her baby and this has made her feel better and this has made me feel better too as I was unable to breastfeed Summer but part of me is glad because its given my partner a chance to bond with her from a very early age. I also think that the choice shouldn't be made hard for parents (yes i know that there are some tough decisions in having children) but i agonised for days to give up trying to hand express etc. I had midwives hand expressing everyday when i was in hospital, they'd be there for a good 30 minutes with a stupid syringe and got about 1 ml! It shouldn't be that hard and noone should feel bad or be made to feel bad for not breastfeeding.

Gone a bit off topic there but i can see why the op has put this article up :)

To me breast is best! :thumbup:

BUT to other mums formula is best! :thumbup:

Each to their own and everyone is entitled to an opinion. Why does what mummy down street does have anything to do with me?

There you go no arguments needed! xx

I seem to be mistaken...sorry it doesnt seem to be blocked...however my discussion about it has been stopped!
I am quite annoyed by this as I thought the point of a forum was to discuss pressing issues and look at different opinions on things.
if people are offended why? I am not forcing them to read or have my views...and afterall they do not have to read them or use the site

:wacko:

Just advising you that these threads get out of hand, that's all..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->