breast milk for baby cereal

Discussion in 'Weaning & Nutrition' started by kmac625, Jan 31, 2011.

1. kmac625

kmac625 Mom to baby Clara

For those who use breastmilk to mix in their baby cereal, do you pump it fresh for when you make it? That's what I have been doing, but sometimes I don't have time or if Clara's had a really large feed shortly beforehand, I can't pump enough. I was thinking if I had enough pumped from the night before (I can usually express 4oz at night before I go to bed) I could just warm some up for her cereal for breakfast the next morning. Can I then refrigerate what I don't use and warm it up again for her supper? Or should I just warm up enough to be used right then? The only reason I ask is because of the separation of the fat to the top of the breastmilk when it's been sitting in the fridge, and I find warming it up is the only way to truly have it mix. Also, I'm trying to avoid having lots of bottles with only 1-2oz of milk in them sitting in my fridge.

2. maisiemoo

maisiemoo Well-Known Member

Have you tried hand expressing? I find for smaller amounts of milk its easier to express directly into the bowl. Im also more likely to express milk after a feed via hand. Otherwise, you are fine to leave the milk over night im the fridge. I believe it normally needs to used up within a 48 hour period.

3. BunnyFace

BunnyFace Mummy

I used to hand express directly into the bowl. I used to ger LO to feed until a letdown then express :flower:

4. sar

sar Well-Known Member

I've been expressing then freezing it in bags of about 2oz to prepare for weaning...

5. deobi

deobi Pregnant with #2

I did this for a bit but always expressed fresh into his bowl. I found it hard however and since he bf'd every 2-3hrs anyway I didn't feel it nessessary to express the half an ounce into his cereal.

The only time I would after about the first month is if I was introducing something he preivously refused or something I felt might have a strong taste otherwise i found it to be more hassle than it was worth.

6. kmac625

kmac625 Mom to baby Clara

I have trouble hand expressing enough milk at a time to make her cereal, so I guess I'll just stick to either pumping beforehand or keeping smaller amounts ready to warm up in the fridge. Thanks for the responses ladies. :flower: