breastfed babies result in better behaved children?

I felt that BF was actually hindering my bond with River and once i went to formula it got much better....but im not going to sit here and say that means the studies that show BF does help with bonding is crap. It just wasnt true for me doesnt me it isnt common trend

Meant to say too that as an other poster has said, science comes up with these kind of studies all of the time. This is good for you, do that etc. I'm apparently supposed to be much healthier as I'm vegetarian than a meat eater, be 20% less likely to get heart disease, be thiner, have lower blood pressure, less likely to get Alzheimers etc etc. Does this mean I'm some super healthy person that is above everyone else? No, I'm just as healthy as the next person. Long term trends over a large populations are just that -trends. They're not gospel or saying this will or won't happen to you just because you do this one thing. So no need to worry people. X

in my experience with kids i know it has no impact on the difference in their behaviour..i know some very misbehaving kids who were bf for an extended time(18months for example) and some very well behaved kids who were formula fed..i breastfed and my daughter is just a normal 3 year old in regards to behaviour..however she does have a fantastic immune system =)

The way a child behaves is down to parenting style and discipline and its as simple as that!

Sorry to target this one comment but can I just say this really winds me up.

Not for the first time on this thread it is asserted by parents of very young children that "this" is how you raise a well behaved child.

It is rubbish, come back in 15 years and let's see how your child behaves.
My brothers and I were all "badly behaved" in different ways and I can assure you they were not down to my parents' "parenting style" or "discipline".

If we knew how to create perfectly well behaved, well mannered children then we would ALL do it, wouldn't we? There are many influential factors out of a parents' control and I hope to God none of us end up raising a child with behavioural difficulties but the likelihood is that many of us will.

If it was as easy as just setting boundaries and disciplining then the world would be a much better place and parenting would be a hell of a lot easier!

I am sorry, I thought the study was only relevant for children up to the age of 5 so this is what I mean when I say 'child'. *Off to re read article*

I can appreciate that as children get older, there are a much wider range of contributing factors than can make a difference to their behaviour. It is just my opinion that up until they reach school age, their behaviour is predominantly shaped by their parents and how they choose to discipline them.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and if you think its 'rubbish' then thats fair enough!

I was BF and have suffered badly from depression and anxiety throughout my adult life. I put this down more to life experiences rather than the way I was fed as a baby.

Funnily enough my failure at breastfeeding with Kate led to more anxiety after I had her.

At 15 months she is thriving, happy and outgoing. I truely hope this carries on for her.

I'm still going to try BF again if I have another. I feel more confident as a parent so hopefully this will give me more sucess.

I can say from the 2 children I have under my care today that this is most def not true!!!! :rofl:

Am i the only FF that doesnt see studies like this as targeting FF and promoting BF?

Its just a study....like the studies that show if you eat 5 veg a day you live longer...or if you live in kent your more likely to get kidney disease (thats not true just example) we dont all get offended by those studies and say "well i dont eat 5 a day and i lived to 99" or "i live in kent and my kidneys are fine"

I also dont see this whole you must BF conspiracy others do, yea its recommended but its not like there is a panel of crazy extremist BF's that sit there and say if we put this study out formula feeders will feel bad!

They do studies on everything now

Here’s another FFing mother that wasn’t offended at all. It’s funny to see some FFing poster getting offended and some BFing mothers treading lightly on the subject. I don’t agree with the research, but should studies promoting BFing not be conducted at all for fear it will offend some FFers? I think not.

The way a child behaves is down to parenting style and discipline and its as simple as that!

Not for the first time on this thread it is asserted by parents of very young children that "this" is how you raise a well behaved child.

My brothers and I were all "badly behaved" in different ways and I can assure you they were not down to my parents' "parenting style" or "discipline".

If we knew how to create perfectly well behaved, well mannered children then we would ALL do it, wouldn't we? There are many influential factors out of a parents' control and I hope to God none of us end up raising a child with behavioural difficulties but the likelihood is that many of us will.

If it was as easy as just setting boundaries and disciplining then the world would be a much better place and parenting would be a hell of a lot easier!

I am sorry, I thought the study was only relevant for children up to the age of 5 so this is what I mean when I say 'child'. *Off to re read article*

I can appreciate that as children get older, there are a much wider range of contributing factors than can make a difference to their behaviour. It is just my opinion that up until they reach school age, their behaviour is predominantly shaped by their parents and how they choose to discipline them.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and if you think its 'rubbish' then thats fair enough!

Predominantly maybe, but not exclusively down to the way a parent brings up their child. I just think it's impossible to say that it is all down to that - especially when behavioural difficulties can begin at a very early age and be undiagnosed until a later date, or when certain situations demand different approaches from parents (ie when a child is brought up in a joint custody situation in two separate families). My point is that it annoys me that people think it is so black and white and that they know exactly how to raise children without considering the hundreds/thousands/countless other factors that influence others and their children.

I'm not going to get any popularity points here but I'll do it anyway. :winkwink: When the statistics point to putting baby to bed on his back to prevent SIDS everyone rallies around it. So how come when a statistic points to breastfeeding being superior, so many decide not to believe it?

I'm not saying I think this study is very useful, because I don't. I'm inclined to think it says more about the parenting style of the typical breastfeeder which a formula feeder can easily have as well, obviously - and many do, which is why its not useful.

But you can't just say that the study is crap because it doesn't hold out in your household. That's why they do a study, because one case doesn't show a trend. The trend is there, but it doesn't mean you're a bad mom if you formula feed.

Well said! :thumbup:

I do find it interesting that in this particular study the child behaviour was reported by the mothers rather than being studied objectively. Could it be that breastfeeding and formula feeding mothers simply have different expectations of behaviour? I'm obviously generalising here, but formula fed babies tend to have a routine of going several hours between feeds and sleeping fairly well at night, whereas it's common for breastfed babies to feed whenever they want and often through the night. So perhaps formula feeding parents have expectations of how a child "should" behave whereas breastfeeding parents are more likely to accept age-appropriate behaviour for what it. Complete conjecture here and I'm not sure I've explained it very well, but I've certainly noticed by own attitudes to behaviour changing over the years as I've learnt more about extended breastfeeding and attachment parenting.

I am confused as how people can state that the way a baby/child is fed, doesn't affect their behaviour in any way. Yes, a lot of it comes down to parenting, but the nutrition you provide your children is going to have an effect as well, preservities, chemicals, artificial sweeteners, and all the other ingredients in formula WILL have a DIFFERENT affect on the growing brain of a baby to breastmilk. It's an artificial milk, and not the biological normal.

The food we eat, affects our bodies physically, mentally, nutritionally and behaviourally. Whether we are adults, teenages, children or babies.

I agree 100%. I stick to my initial comment that lots of facts contribute to a child’s behaviour, and it would be misguided of us to pin it down to parenting and discipline.

My brother and I were raised the same way by my parents, and I was a nightmare and he the lovely kid. And although my twins are still young, one keep me more on my toes than the other.

I'm not going to get any popularity points here but I'll do it anyway. :winkwink: When the statistics point to putting baby to bed on his back to prevent SIDS everyone rallies around it. So how come when a statistic points to breastfeeding being superior, so many decide not to believe it?

I'm not saying I think this study is very useful, because I don't. I'm inclined to think it says more about the parenting style of the typical breastfeeder which a formula feeder can easily have as well, obviously - and many do, which is why its not useful.

But you can't just say that the study is crap because it doesn't hold out in your household. That's why they do a study, because one case doesn't show a trend. The trend is there, but it doesn't mean you're a bad mom if you formula feed.

I do find it interesting that in this particular study the child behaviour was reported by the mothers rather than being studied objectively. Could it be that breastfeeding and formula feeding mothers simply have different expectations of behaviour? I'm obviously generalising here, but formula fed babies tend to have a routine of going several hours between feeds and sleeping fairly well at night, whereas it's common for breastfed babies to feed whenever they want and often through the night. So perhaps formula feeding parents have expectations of how a child "should" behave whereas breastfeeding parents are more likely to accept age-appropriate behaviour for what it. Complete conjecture here and I'm not sure I've explained it very well, but I've certainly noticed by own attitudes to behaviour changing over the years as I've learnt more about extended breastfeeding and attachment parenting.

Even though i ff, i ff on demand and lo would feed every 2/3 hrs and he didn't sleep through the night until around 7 months

I was thinking that too Janidog, i feed my child on demand even tho he is formula fed :shrug:

Omar is FF & he's well behaved. My cousin is exclusively BF (he's 17 months) but he's not well behaved. He hits his older siblings, cries for nothing, & he's soo whiney.

My youngerst brother was exclusively BF but he's a disaster. He's so stubborn & he doesnt listen. I was exclusively BF & I've always been well behaved as a kid & teenager ;)

My eldest brother was combi fed but he wasnt well behaved, but my 2nd brother was FF & he's well behaved & so easy easy going.

I kind of understand what you’re saying. FFers generally expect their babies to STTN at a certain age, and if they're not, we ask 'why, why, why?' whereas BFers have a different reality.... that young babies simply will not sleep through the night and need feeding.

Whether this fact contributes to behaviour in the grand scheme of things, I can't say, but it is still an interesting point and certainly one I didn't think of.

I am confused as how people can state that the way a baby/child is fed, doesn't affect their behaviour in any way. Yes, a lot of it comes down to parenting, but the nutrition you provide your children is going to have an effect as well, preservities, chemicals, artificial sweeteners, and all the other ingredients in formula WILL have a DIFFERENT affect on the growing brain of a baby to breastmilk. It's an artificial milk, and not the biological normal.

The food we eat, affects our bodies physically, mentally, nutritionally and behaviourally. Whether we are adults, teenages, children or babies.

Good point. What compounds it for me also is the rate of growth a baby goes through in it's first year. Not forgetting also that milk is the primary source of nourishment for six months. It makes sense that the type of milk the baby consumes would have an affect on their development.

I was thinking that too Janidog, i feed my child on demand even tho he is formula fed :shrug:

I think a lot of BF assume that FF will feed every 3/4 hrs when its not really true (well not for us anyway), and just because they are FF doesn't mean they will STTN

Like I said, everyone is entitled to their opinion and I stand by mine.

I am not naive enough to believe that parenting is black and white, nor do I claim to know the best way to raise a child. I highly doubt anyone really does. I may be misguided but I believe that the behaviour of children of such a young age (under 5) is a result of how they are being raised. I should add that I am not referring to children with behavioural difficulties as this is something beyond a parents control. I also believe in the saying 'behaviour breeds behaviour'.

I would like to reiterate that I am not talking about rebellious teenagers that go off the rails, I understand that as children grow up they are subject to varying degrees of good and bad influences.

I think a lot of BF assume that FF will feed every 3/4 hrs when its not really true (well not for us anyway), and just because they are FF doesn't mean they will STTN

Exactly. Aymen will STTN once in a blue moon...
He still wakes twice for a bottle, i know hes hungry as nothing else will settle him!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->