Breastfed Toddler & Stomach Bug - Experience?

FAB mama

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience nursing a toddler through a stomach virus? It's been 3 days now that he's gotten sick each day, but far far apart. Doctor said don't feed him for 24 hours so I didn't. He then ate a few crackers and nursed a little and did ok. I stopped the nursing session short.

So later I nursed longer and then he got sick. Was it just too much? I tried to pump but wasn't getting enough out. Does anyone have experience to say if breastmilk is more likely to make him sick than other foods? I'm not sure what to give him next. He's asleep and slept almost all day and all last night. He's very lethargic and doesn't want to do anything except watch Thomas movies.

What do you recommend to give after toast and crackers?

(Sorry if this posted twice…)

Breastmilk is one of the best things on earth for stomach bugs. Your doctor gave you very duff advice not to feed for 24 hours. Feed as often as LO wants. Even if it comes straight back up, it's so well absorbed that some nutrients will be getting into his system. Little and often is usually best and means they don't bring as much back up.

I fed DS through several vomiting bugs - I don't know what I'm going to do during the next one now he's weaned!

Breastmilk is one of the best things to give for a stomach bug. Holly had a stomach bug when she was 18 months and couldn't keep anything down. We had to take her to A&E and the doctor said feed little and often because if they take too much then it just hits their poorly tummy and comes straight back up. It's hard to measure how much they're taking with breastfeeding, but little and often is best. Definitely don't listen to the doctor who told you not to feed for 24 hours. That's crazy advice. The milk will be a great benefit to your LO. Hope he is feeling better soon :flower:

Breastmilk is one of the best things to give for a stomach bug. Holly had a stomach bug when she was 18 months and couldn't keep anything down. We had to take her to A&E and the doctor said feed little and often because if they take too much then it just hits their poorly tummy and comes straight back up. It's hard to measure how much they're taking with breastfeeding, but little and often is best. Definitely don't listen to the doctor who told you not to feed for 24 hours. That's crazy advice. The milk will be a great benefit to your LO. Hope he is feeling better soon :flower:

Thanks, we passed the 24 hour phase and that didn't work out. My milk just built up so when he did nurse it was too much (despite pumping). I am trying little and often now and it's going ok so far…plus cheerios and crackers and water. Hopefully he'll be better today. I wish people here were more educated on breastfeeding. What I read matches what you all are telling me, but everyone around me is telling me not to nurse, to listen to the doctor, etc…

I would nurse but maybe just do short nursing sessions so his tummy isn't too full. By nursing him he won't get dehydrated.
As pp said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"