Breastfeeding and pain

lorenare

Reaction score
Does breastfeeding always hurt?? I have a 5 day old baby and i am already hating breastfeeding because of all the pain it makes me feel :cry: does it get better?

It hurts some until your nipples are used to it but if it hurts a lot, it could be due to bad latch, have you tried unlatching and then relatching to see if it makes a difference? Try different positions to give the chapped area a break, use nipple cream mixed with bm and air the nipples out to help them heal faster. It might take sometime for you to get used to it, but once you do the pain will go away.

I found it hurt quite a bit in the beginning even though we had a perfect latch. My nipples felt all raw and were bright red but it got better after a few weeks :)

It was very painful for me for about two months. My LO had a poor latch, my nipples cracked and bled, and I got mastitis twice. My breasts swelled so much from the milk that I had a hard time finding a comfortable position to sleep. But it's super easy now and I'm glad I stuck with it.

Some say it shouldn't hurt and if it does its due to a bad latch. That certainly could be true but we had a perfect latch and it still hurt until 6ish weeks. Just one breastfeeding Hill to climb but once you do you'll be glad! Just check the latch and use nipple cream, walk around top less as much as possible.

Yes, it was painful for 2 months. I had thrush that I finally treated with fluconazole. I never cried from the pain, but it was pretty unbearable and I dreaded feedings. The cracking and bleeding is disconcerting, but I knew I was doing the right thing. I'm glad I stuck with it. Feeding in a baby carrier allows for more mobility for me and a calm baby.

The nurses told me it should only hurt if you have a bad latch, but I firmly believe the nipples need time to toughen up regardless. Mine hurt a lot for 2 weeks, then nothing. Now it doesn't hurt at all, even with a bad latch.

Just get through it and then it will be easy!

I'm on day 12 and it hurts less, but it's still a painful process. Tylenol is your friend. Lanolin and air drying help too. I've almost given up a couple times but have persevered because i HATE sterilizing bottles etc. good luck!

Day 3-5 was the worse with the engorgement but After week 3 when his tongue tie had been sorted it been pain free. I used lanoish/breast milk after every feed and Let then air dry as much as possible.

also i fed him in the rugby ball hold as hurt a lot less. And had these little pads you put in the microwave to warm the breast to help with any swelling.

Please dont put put up with it unchecked! Have you had your latch checked? if its really painful please get in touch with your midwife and get some support, you can also google nipple shields and pumping your milk.

My baby is 3 days old and my milk came in yesterday. My nipples have always been sensitive so I was worried how I'd cope.

Nipples feel extremely sore...and while nursing every suckle feels I'm being stabbed with needles and then the sensitivity goes to the rest of the breast as well. It feels itchy and painful at the same time. I really do hope it gets better :(

I had terrible pain for maybe a month but then I'm sure her latch wasn't right as I was told there shouldn't be pain for so long. Yes, it gets better to the point of no pain at all ! My LO is 3.5 months and it's not uncomfortable at all. I almost gave up with the pain but glad I managed to stick it out, but yes, it was like having cut glass clamped on my boob to the point of dreadin feeds and having a cry every now and again x

It does get better I promise!!! I had an early baby which meant his mouth was really small and didn't have the strength to maintain a good latch and also lead to weight loss. I also had mastitis 4 times, and two of those times required antibiotics. and one of those times required an ER visit and a 5 hour IV antibiotic! It took a good 8 weeks for us to work well together and not have pain. I highly recommend seeing a lactation consultant I did, and it really helped her to look at his latch and give suggestions. I didn't want to, but I ended up using a silicone nursing shield, and that really helped my nipples heal and have less pain. ALso pumping milk can help them heal if there are open sores.
I was fiercely determined to continue. We weaned off the nipple shields between 6-8 weeks, and have had an easy time after that!

One thing I wasn't aware of, is that around 13-14 months old they get lazy again, and I had to use my lanolin again haha. But I went back to the newborn basics, and it's better again now. :)

Also, around a week after the birth the hormones are still raging and crazy, so you may feel like giving up, and that the baby hates you, and everything in between. Totally. Normal.
If you have any other questions, you can PM me if you like! :)
Kellymom.com is also an awesome breast feeding website.
If you start to have blocked ducts, a cabbage leaf on your boob helps, but don't leave it on too long. An hour on, hour off etc. and Drink water water water!!!
Be sure you're getting enough protein and salt too.

Ouch....I feel your pain ladies. :holly: My DS also had a 'picture perfect' latch but it HURT SO BAD to breastfeed. I totally dreaded it and then felt guilty for feeling that way. Forget people saying it doesn't hurt....for some people it definitely does. I had mastitis and we also dealt with thrush as well. My nipples were red and sore for about the first 1.5 months. I described the pain as "toe curling" when baby would breastfeed. The pain started immediately for me right after the first breastfeed.

I found that lanolin and also the athlete's foot cream (can't remember actual name of it but it keep the thrush away) has helped a lot.

It does get better over time. I'm 4 months BF'ing now and mostly pain free although they still get sore and red at times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->