Breastfeeding mom kills baby after drinking bottle of wine

As per normal there is probably alo tmore to the story then reported.
While I agree that the article does put co sleeping in a bad light even to the point where it near enough seems to put the fact she was drunk as a after thought but unless im realy dense and missing somthing I fail to see how this article is anti breast feeding.

As per normal there is probably alo tmore to the story then reported.
While I agree that the article does put co sleeping in a bad light even to the point where it near enough seems to put the fact she was drunk as a after thought but unless im realy dense and missing somthing I fail to see how this article is anti breast feeding.

The tone of the article implies that breastfeeding was a factor in the child's death. The baby died while being breastfed but it didn't die because it was being breastfed - but the article gives the impression that breastfeeding is hazardous (which it is when you're pissed - just like driving/walking/riding a bike/operating machinery/sending texts/generally anything that requires careful thought, skill or rational thinking). The fact she was breastfeeding is circumstantial and while it should have been mentioned in the story, I don't think there is a need to focus on it. She was pissed up and in sole charge of her baby - it was at risk whatever she was doing.

But its not like the article is written with the view of "if your going to be drinking then you shouldnt be breast feeding" if it was then sure id agree that it was anti bf.
I think any person with common sense can see and work out that of the two things bf isnt the stupid dangerous one so I just read it as bf just happened to be what she was doing while it happened not the course of it.
Im sure no one (or at least smart people)is going to read it and think "dam, I want to keep drinking so sod breast feeding" there for I dont think the article is anti bf.

I think I make sense with what im trying to say anyway :)

I know what you're saying and I hope you're right but I disagree - there is a big emphasis on breastfeeding within the article and that in itself is wrong in my opinion. The emphasis should be on the fact that the woman was drunk, but the article suggests that intoxication was only one of the contributing factors to the baby's death.

I agree with emma.

The daily mail is very good at implying stuff without actually saying it.

My OH's grandparents read the DM and i know they will see breastfeeding + baby dying as breast feeding can be dangerous.

Exactly Kala - it's just another bad association from the most awful paper in the country.

The woman could have been breastfeeding/changing a nappy/walking down the street/paragliding with the baby strapped to her chest - it's just circumstantial, the fact is she was drunk so whatever she was doing was dangerous.

They did this too slings as well, put a article about a baby dying in sling and it implied slings are dangerous but didnt highlight the fact that the mother was wearing it wrong. So i got "did you know slings are dangerous?" when i used to wear River

I know what you're saying and I hope you're right but I disagree - there is a big emphasis on breastfeeding within the article and that in itself is wrong in my opinion. The emphasis should be on the fact that the woman was drunk, but the article suggests that intoxication was only one of the contributing factors to the baby's death.

Oh I completly agree that no where near enough emphasis has been put on the fact she was drinking and that was the ultimate factor in the accident but if anything it reads to me more as though the combination of drinking and co sleeping was the problem not drinking and bf.
The point of bf never even seems relivent to me whilst reading it so it came across as anti co sleeping rather then anti bf.

Somthing that did seem a bit odd to me though was I could understand if the baby was a newborn but by 7 months a babies fight or flight instinct is alot more developed so suffication with just her boob seems a bit odd, possibly if the baby was asleep but even then they startle when having trouble breathing.
The fact the baby had blood in her mouth suggests more of being laid on and sufficated rather then just a boob.

I remember that and I had the same questions asked to me too. Proof in itself that people actually believe the crap they read. It's such a shame.

Oh I completly agree that no where near enough emphasis has been put on the fact she was drinking and that was the ultimate factor in the accident but if anything it reads to me more as though the combination of drinking and co sleeping was the problem not drinking and bf.
The point of bf never even seems relivent to me whilst reading it so it came across as anti co sleeping rather then anti bf.

Somthing that did seem a bit odd to me though was I could understand if the baby was a newborn but by 7 months a babies fight or flight instinct is alot more developed so suffication with just her boob seems a bit odd, possibly if the baby was asleep but even then they startle when having trouble breathing.
The fact the baby had blood in her mouth suggests more of being laid on and sufficated rather then just a boob.

I hope everyone reads it that way too but I'm unfortunately inclined to believe they won't.

It's horrible to think of that poor baby dying, I would be incredibly surprised if she hadn't struggled. It just doesn't bear thinking about.

so sad :( I agree though that although this is a horribly tragic event for the mother it was irresponsible to have put her child in that position when there was no need to at all.

Exactly Kala - it's just another bad association from the most awful paper in the country.

The woman could have been breastfeeding/changing a nappy/walking down the street/paragliding with the baby strapped to her chest - it's just circumstantial, the fact is she was drunk so whatever she was doing was dangerous.

Maybe iv got to the point of only seeing what I think is relivent so to me all I see is baby dies because mother was drunk rather then baby dies because mother bf while drunk.
Maybe I just choose not to see it as anti bf bexause to me bf just happened to be what she was doing and I would have seen it excactly the same if it had of been "mother drops baby while drunk" that wouldnt automaticaly jump out to me as anti carrying.

But the baby did die while she was breastfeeding..it's fact, not anti-bf..and the have a picture on there...surely that's more pro?!

So howare they saying the baby died? Surely you could roll onto your baby and kill it even when not drunk?

There's obviously more to the story, and yes she was being irresponsable, but she's paid the ultimate price, and she has to live with it every single day.

But the baby did die while she was breastfeeding..it's fact, not anti-bf..and the have a picture on there...surely that's more pro?!

So howare they saying the baby died? Surely you could roll onto your baby and kill it even when not drunk?

There's obviously more to the story, and yes she was being irresponsable, but she's paid the ultimate price, and she has to live with it every single day.

You think having a picture of a woman breastfeeding makes the article pro-breastfeeding? :wacko: How exactly?

I don't think anyone is disputing the fact that she was breastfeeding...

I was joking about the picture...

I know no-one was disputing the fact she was breastfeeding, I just don't understand why everyone thinks it is anti-bf, when really they're just stating fact?! It was the fact that she'd been drinking that stood out when I read it personally, guess everyone sees it diferently. Although it was pretty anti-co-sleeping I suppose, but in way it's perhaps easier to just tell people not to do it, than to risk people doing it wrong.

It must have been horrific for everyone involved, and it seems pretty impossible to tell exactly what killed the baby, are they blaming the alcohol solely or a combination?

Just out of interest, if you did drink say a whole bottle while bfing, and then fed straight away, could it seriously harm your baby? To the point of death?

I just find it a little sad that when it boils down to it a baby has died but that is being turned into a debate of propaganda, probably the papers fault but I dont straight away see "oooo what are they subliminaly implying here" I see the basic sad fact that a baby died in a sad accident that could have been avoided.

I just find it a little sad that when it boils down to it a baby has died but that is being turned into a debate of propaganda, probably the papers fault but I dont straight away see "oooo what are they subliminaly implying here" I see the basic sad fact that a baby died in a sad accident that could have been avoided.

:thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->