Breastfeeding mom kills baby after drinking bottle of wine

The Daily Fail is bascially saying that if you BF you run the risk of suffocating your child which is incorrect, this baby died because the Mum was pissed and passed out.

Co-sleeping and BF is totally safe when sober and drug free.

When i had a skinful and was co-sleeping with Katie, she was put in her crib for her safety.

Its basic common sense and the DM is trying to shoot down all credibility for co-sleeping and boobie juice.

V xxx

The Daily Fail is bascially saying that if you BF you run the risk of suffocating your child which is incorrect, this baby died because the Mum was pissed and passed out.

Co-sleeping and BF is totally safe when sober and drug free.

When i had a skinful and was co-sleeping with Katie, she was put in her crib for her safety.

Its basic common sense and the DM is trying to shoot down all credibility for co-sleeping and boobie juice.

V xxx

See I dont see at any point where the article implies this, it does however clearly imply drinking while bf and co sleeping can result in this but not just solely bf alone.
I think people see what they want to see though.

See i dont see the whole "BF'ing will kill your baby thing" How i read it was yes she was breastfeed and co-sleeping and she was drunk.. Now first thing that sprang to mind was holy shit! then why the hell would you co-sleep while drunk!!!

Thinking about it more i see it as well they need to mention BF'ing as someelse said at 7months the baby would of put up a fight however, if the alochol was still in the milk which at over 2x the driving limit i would say so would the baby not of also been drunk to then? and not put up a fight over being layed on/suffercated by a boobie?

That is so sad for the baby and the family as a whole. Having said that, the article and the comments therein are an indictement (and an unfair one at that) of co-sleeping as a whole. There's no mention of safe co-sleeping, just an outright "don't do it". It FAILS to consider studies done that show correlations btwn co-sleeping and reduction of SIDs and SIDs rates in predominantly co-sleeping communities. It is very biased.

I was joking about the picture...

I know no-one was disputing the fact she was breastfeeding, I just don't understand why everyone thinks it is anti-bf, when really they're just stating fact?! It was the fact that she'd been drinking that stood out when I read it personally, guess everyone sees it diferently. Although it was pretty anti-co-sleeping I suppose, but in way it's perhaps easier to just tell people not to do it, than to risk people doing it wrong.

It must have been horrific for everyone involved, and it seems pretty impossible to tell exactly what killed the baby, are they blaming the alcohol solely or a combination?

Just out of interest, if you did drink say a whole bottle while bfing, and then fed straight away, could it seriously harm your baby? To the point of death?

It is the undertones of the article and the emphasis on breastfeeding which reads incredibly unfavourably.

I don't know what quantity you would have to drink in order to harm your baby but alcohol does pass through into breastmilk, so theoretically at least it would be possible to pass so much through it could cause alcohol poisoning.

See i dont see the whole "BF'ing will kill your baby thing" How i read it was yes she was breastfeed and co-sleeping and she was drunk.. Now first thing that sprang to mind was holy shit! then why the hell would you co-sleep while drunk!!!

Thinking about it more i see it as well they need to mention BF'ing as someelse said at 7months the baby would of put up a fight however, if the alochol was still in the milk which at over 2x the driving limit i would say so would the baby not of also been drunk to then? and not put up a fight over being layed on/suffercated by a boobie?

Possibly, Iv never actualy read up about how alcohol effects breast milk because I dont realy drink so just thought it irrelivent to me.
I think iv had about 4 drinks in the last 4 years and other then a small glass of very diluted wine 2 days before I found out I was pregnant I then didnt touch it till LO was about 6 months old way after stopping bf.
I always saw it as just dont drink then I dont have to worry about the dangers :)
Can you actualy get a baby drunk through your breast milk then? sorry if that seems a dum question but like I say it was all irrelivent to learn about to me

I just find it a little sad that when it boils down to it a baby has died but that is being turned into a debate of propaganda, probably the papers fault but I dont straight away see "oooo what are they subliminaly implying here" I see the basic sad fact that a baby died in a sad accident that could have been avoided.

I can't help but feel you are suggesting that I (and others) are overlooking the sad fact of a baby dying, which is really unfair. I am not the kind of person to read a Daily Mail article and take it on face value but I am also a mother and a sensitive one at that. I find it a little rude that you're suggesting I am using a sad story to 'debate'.

I don't see why breastfeeding has anything to do with this, or co sleeping for that matter. You don't get drunk & sleep in a baby with your bed, anyone knows that.

This is purely related to alcohol. Nothing more or less.

I actually can't see how breastfeeding comes into the question at all ?

xxx

I just find it a little sad that when it boils down to it a baby has died but that is being turned into a debate of propaganda, probably the papers fault but I dont straight away see "oooo what are they subliminaly implying here" I see the basic sad fact that a baby died in a sad accident that could have been avoided.

I can't help but feel you are suggesting that I (and others) are overlooking the sad fact of a baby dying, which is really unfair. I am not the kind of person to read a Daily Mail article and take it on face value but I am also a mother and a sensitive one at that. I find it a little rude that you're suggesting I am using a sad story to 'debate'.

Sorry you are offended by it but its not just aimed at you but rather aimed at everyone that focuses more on the propaganda issues of the media in general, myself included as I have been a part of the debate as well.
It was mainly myself that made me stop and think what are we doing here? we are dabating somthing irellavent compared to the life of a child.
Again it was a general aiming at myself, others, the comments by others on the news website itself.
It was ment more as a stop and think of the main issue rather then how its told type comment so again im sorry if you thought I was trying to have a dig or offend

Sorry you are offended by it but its not just aimed at you but rather aimed at everyone that focuses more on the propaganda issues of the media in general, myself included as I have been a part of the debate as well.
It was mainly myself that made me stop and think what are we doing here? we are dabating somthing irellavent compared to the life of a child.
Again it was a general aiming at myself, others, the comments by others on the news website itself.
It was ment more as a stop and think of the main issue rather then how its told type comment so again im sorry if you thought I was trying to have a dig or offend

Thank you.

I agree that nothing is more important in the world than life and death, and the loss of this child is just horrendous, truly heart breaking.

But media coverage is key in forming public opinions so I think it is important to study and question what you read, as although this article may not affect the way you think about breastfeeding, it may affect others'.

Hmm - I personally don't think that analyzing the wording etc of the article is irrelevant because it has far-reaching consequences. I think some moms will read the exerpts in the article pertaining to co-sleeping and can easily be put off. Similarly, they may be put off BFing as the article makes it a huge factor even though its impact on the death is not definite. There are lessons to be learnt from devastating occurences and debating is part of the learning iykwim?

such a terrible accident that should have never happened
rip little one :hugs:

Of course debating such things is important, I just didnt realy want it all to turn into a focus of the wording rather then the fact of the sad death itself.

I can deffinetly see how the article can come across as anti co sleeping but I realy dont read the anti breast feeding in it.
Its saying that drinking and breast feeding is bad not that breastfeeding itself is bad.
The co sleeping on the other hand does come across in a bad light and is more indicated as dont do it full stop

I just found this smokey

Levels of alcohol in breast milk remain close to those in the mother’s bloodstream. Levels will be at their highest between 30 and 60 minutes after drinking, or 90 minutes if you’ve been drinking with a meal. It takes two-to-three hours for a unit of alcohol (a small glass of wine, or half a pint of ordinary-strength beer) to leave a nursing mum’s milk.

While large amounts of alcohol in breast milk can have a sedative effect, it’s more likely to make your baby agitated and disrupt sleep patterns

I think as far as alcohol is concerned the advice varies. Some will say its ok to BF if you've only had one glass, others will say wait 2 hours/glass, others will say wait 2hrs/ glass and express before first feed, there's also wait 24 hrs and finally, those that advise new moms to drink beer to stimulate milk supply. Its highly confusing, for me at least, so I always say, just don't drink.

I just found this smokey

Levels of alcohol in breast milk remain close to those in the mother’s bloodstream. Levels will be at their highest between 30 and 60 minutes after drinking, or 90 minutes if you’ve been drinking with a meal. It takes two-to-three hours for a unit of alcohol (a small glass of wine, or half a pint of ordinary-strength beer) to leave a nursing mum’s milk.

While large amounts of alcohol in breast milk can have a sedative effect, it’s more likely to make your baby agitated and disrupt sleep patterns

cheers makes me glad I just stayed away from it to be safer.

This has made me think of a possible thread and poll to start up

I think as far as alcohol is concerned the advice varies. Some will say its ok to BF if you've only had one glass, others will say wait 2 hours/glass, others will say wait 2hrs/ glass and express before first feed, there's also wait 24 hrs and finally, those that advise new moms to drink beer to stimulate milk supply. Its highly confusing, for me at least, so I always say, just don't drink.

As long as there is alcohol in the bloodstream, there is alcohol in your milk. If you are exclusively feeding from the breast, then what is in bold would be true. It's safest not to drink at all if you don't have any other method of feeding your baby. I think it becomes problematic to suggest that women who are wanting to find a balance should just not drink altogether as this is counter-productive to the breastfeeding cause as a whole. If you have sufficient store, you can feed your baby in the few hours after you've had a glass of wine or two. Making it seem like women should simply stop drinking makes breastfeeding less appealing which might make some of the people "on the fence" about breastfeeding versus formula feeding to choose the alternative route.

Aragon- yeah I agree, from a promotional point if view, it is essential to tell people how they can BF and accomodate their lifestyles, but from a personal point of view (my own opinion) is I wouldn't like to tell anyone its ok to drink because its all very inconclusive, babies react differently to alcohol, as do moms and the way in which they process alcohol. Also, I don't particularly agree with drinking while caring for a child, so that impacts my feelings on BFing and drinking. X

That is so sad for the baby and the family as a whole. Having said that, the article and the comments therein are an indictement (and an unfair one at that) of co-sleeping as a whole. There's no mention of safe co-sleeping, just an outright "don't do it". It FAILS to consider studies done that show correlations btwn co-sleeping and reduction of SIDs and SIDs rates in predominantly co-sleeping communities. It is very biased.

This is what annoyed me most.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->