Breastfeeding now... Colostrum with newborn?

Jezzielin

Reaction score
I am still breastfeeding what I can for my daughter but my hubby brought up a good question. If I keep feeding her, will I get colostrum for the new baby??? Or should I stop? Will colostrum start again later and if so, should I stop feeding her to give it to my new baby?

How does it work?:shrug:

How far along are you? Your supply will likely tank around 5 months. If your daughter is old enough, this won't be a problem and you can go on nursing no problem. If she still relies on milk, you will need to supplement with formula. If this last point was the case, I'd keep nursing as normal, but supplement with formula to make sure she's getting all the nutrition she needs. Once your milk comes back in, it will be low fat newborn milk, not the higher fat older baby milk you're making now.

Here is a useful site that answers your questions. :)

https://kellymom.com/pregnancy/bf-preg/16milkchanges/

Basically the site says your newborn will get the colostrum and the website also was a very valuable site for me when I had ANY questions about breastfeeding. It talks about how to deal with a newborn and another nursing baby.

I was wondering many of these things as well. :)

My sister exclusively breastfed, got pregnant, tandem nursed a toddler and a newborn and never gave formula or had problems with her supply. I realize that this is not always the case, but hopefully you will not have any problems either.

Her son was almost 6 months old when she got pregnant so I am guessing that is about the same gap as yours? Mine is much older so I don't have the same experience, sorry!

Good luck! :)

I breastfed through two pregnancies, never had to supplement with formula. And never had a problem with my newborn getting the nutrition he or she needed. Don't worry, the body is an amazing thing! Kellymom is a great resource!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->