Breastfeeding one handed?

Sorsha

Tentatively expecting #2
Reaction score
I've heard people talk about reading, etc. while breastfeeding, but for the most part I can't manage anything that requires hands because when Lucas is BFing I need one hand to hold my breast at a good shape/angle and the other to hold his head. Even with a pillow, unless I get him propped perfectly, he tends to fall or pull off before long if I move either hand.

He's only 3 weeks old and has little head and neck control. Is one handed BFing something that will come easier as he gets older? Any suggestions of positions or techniques to try, or should I just wait?

Yes it gets easier! My son is seven months old an I feel like a pro now, I can't believe how far we've come.

As he gets bigger it'll get easier to just have him propped on a pillow and you can have both hands free! :)

Yes, once he has more strength it will get soooo much easier. I needed lots of pillows and hands at first, but LO doesn't need the least bit of help now. It shouldn't be long before you can at least get to one hand, if not hands-free.

I'm currently feeding one handed right now. I'm on the couch and have lo in a football hold on my right breast with a pillow underneath my arm. If he's on my left breast I can usually cradle hold him and have my right hand free. I just make sure he's propped up really well with pillows so that my arm isn't the only thing supporting him. Just keep trying. :)

I used to always lean slightly back, with his tummy on mine so I wasn't holding much weight.
I think I used to support him the with opposite hand to the breast I was feeding from and I didn't hold my breast to latch for more than a few days and never after latching on.
Xx

I only needed to shape the breast to latch on as he has tongue tie and a shallow latch but then I could let go and use the spare hand.Keep trying,it gets better with practice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->