Breastfeeding over at 16 months :(

V

Viola Payne

I'm very sad because my toddler has decided he no longer wants to breast feed. He just started biting my nipple and clearly rejects the breast. I waited a day and tried to offer again but he just poo-pooed it. I don't understand how he has self weaned already, isn't he too young? I was planning on breastfeeding until he's at least two, possible to 4, but he's called it off. It's possible that it could be because my supply plummeted because i'm now about 3 months pregnant again. I want to respect him, obviously i'm not going to forced breastfeed him, but i am sad that it's over. Any ideas on how to get closure/say goodbye to this magical part of our relationship? Thank you

:hugs: I've got no advice for you, but wanted to offer hugs. I don't think 16 months is too young to self-wean though.

:hugs:

In a way, I hope my LO will self wean than deal with weaning in cold turkey. But she looks like she is no where close to weaning at 14 months.

*hugs* I'm so sorry he's rejecting the breast. I don't really have any advice, but he may not be done altogether. You never know, in a day or two he may want it again. But if he is, just think about what an amazing start to life you gave him and you'll always have the memories of breastfeeding. My daughter is 16 months too and still breastfeeds but I feel like if I didn't offer it, she would hardly ever want it. It's causing some issues breastfeeding (shallow latch, grinding on the nipple) and the lc thinks it's because she doesn't really want to be on the breast at that time and she's just appeasing me *sigh* Just know that your feelings are completely valid. I have heard that on etsy they make locket necklace breastmilk preservation kits (you somehow add your breastmilk and it hardens and you put it in a locket and wear it to always remember your bf relationship. I think that's a cool idea!

Thank you all. It was just such a special relationship and I guessed I always assumed I would be the one to end it and thought it would go on longer. Fond memories forever. Thanks for the locket idea and for saying 16 months isn't too young

I see that you're pregnant? It's very common for babies to self wean during second trimester. YOu've done great, don't beat yourself up. plus you're going to have another baby to nurse!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->