Breastfeeding thoughts and feeling bad for them...

WSS^^

I would encourage you to just take your pressure off yourself and think, "If it doesn't work out, no biggie - I'll just use formula", but also tell yourself "Loads of women have great experiences with breastfeeding and there's no reason I won't be one of them."

It's probably due to my upbringing and location, but I never had any thought of doing anything except breastfeeding. Everyone I've known has done it and it's been mostly fine. I actually had a vague idea you needed a doctor's prescription to buy formula! I know, ridiculous, but I honestly just assumed most people have no real issue with it.

And maybe it was pure luck or maybe it was mindset, but... I didn't have any issue with it. Yes, I had mildly cracked nipples (no bleeding, and lanolin fixed it easily), some long clusterfeeds, and I have always done night duty, but none of that really felt like a big deal to me, and those issues were mostly completely gone within the first few weeks.

And like Minties says, there is a great deal of pleasure and comfort in it, in a nurturing sense. Plus all the obvious benefits that I won't bang on about. In fact, I'm still breastfeeding both my kids. I'm no militant, but there's simply no reason for me not to keep going until we're all ready to be done with it.

Im so sorry you've had such a negative breastfeeding experience. Unfortunately the support isn't always available from the midwives or health visitors. I think lack of knowledge tends to be a problem. I have a positive experience to share... Actually three positive experiences because I've been fortunate to feed all three of mine for an extended period, however it wasn't without its problems but for the main part it was very positive for me. My sister recently had a baby and the cracked nipples were so excruciating she nearly lost it completely. Hospital and midwives were useless and she turned to me in the end. Basically she just needed a break from feeding but really didn't want to give up completely. So she expressed every few hours which have her nipples the break they needed and against the advice of her midwife she gave him a bottle for 24 hours. Her nipples healed and she went back to normal feeding. Of course there is a risk of nipple confusion but in my opinion it was her final option before completely throwing he towel in and five months on they have a lovely breast feeding relationship. She also used a dummy but made sure he got his milk feeds every two to three hours and maximum of four hourly at night. To be honest he told her when he needed it because the dummy was spat out! I know they say don't use pacifiers or bottles but you gotta do what you gotta do. You could also combi feed if that helps you. Some of the benefits of breast are lost by using formula within the first six months such as upsetting the natural gut flora with artificial milk but there are so many other benefits to just some breast if you can't deal with exclusive feeding. It's your choice entirely at the end of the day. Sore and stressed out mama equals stressed out baby! They pick everything up don't they?! Good luck to whatever you choose to try. Whatever happens so long as baby gets fed and you feel mentally and physically well then forget what everyone says and all the raised eyebrows. They don't have to live your life! And as for feeding in public, I feed discretely all the time and have done for all three and not one person has said anything ever. I just use a blanket and if the loo is the only option I just go in there quickly. I also use a dummy from four weeks with my daughter and it's a life saver when it's just a bit of comfort she's after. She has remained a very good weight as has my sisters so they are both obviously getting enough milk. Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->