Breastfeeding while pregnant

flowermum

Reaction score
I am still BFing my almost 15 month old with no signs she wants to stop(nor do I), I was just wondering how other mums got on with feeding while pregnant? Ive never done it before! I stopped feeding my other 2 before a year.

So far its not really sore, sometimes its uncomfortable when she latches on, but not unbearable. Im hoping I'll be able to tandem feed once bubs is born. I mean if DD weans before then, then thats fine, I am super proud that we have gotten this far!

How long did others feed for? did you tandem feed? did your milk supply drop while pregnant?

I got pregnant when my little boy was roughly 22months and STil fed ALOT. Atleast 10x in the day and constantly through the night. I think the taste of my milk changed roughly around 15weeks pregnant as my lo pulled a funny face when feeding but it didn't take long for him to get used to it. Around 25ish weeks my supply had more or less completely gone and the milk had turned to colostrum again this didn't bother lo and he still comfort suckled the exact same amount he was when I had a lot of milk.
Around 33 weeks pregnant I developed feeding agitation but only in the night. I was starting to hate feeding through the night this went on for a few weeks until I decided to try lo in a bedroom with his brother and started putting limits on how much he fed through the night. He still fed through the day and probably once or twice in the night.
Then his latch changed,it was awful,really painful so started telling him he had to be gentle of he wanted to feed. He obviously didn't want to feed that much as he would say no he didn't want to be gentle and didn't make a fuss when I put my boob back away.

I'm almost 39weeks pregnant now and he still feeds but it's very rare as he just can't be gentle. He does like to cuddle my naked boobs though. I'm not sure if hel start back up again when the baby Arrives and my milk has come in.

I nursed my first son up until the week before me second was due, then he self weaned (he was 2,5). This boy lost most interest a few months ago, only nurses about every other night at bedtime. I am 25 wks along, he is 17months. I have decided this time to encourage him to wean, since he is barely nursing anyway, before baby get here. Tandem nursing is great for many, but I'd rather deal with one at a time, since my boy seems ready!

I'm still nursing my 15 month old day and night. It's definitely a comfort thing. He wakes up at least twice a night to nurse, and ends up in my bed. My husband and I are planning to transition him into his own room (and a spiffy new toddler bed!) before the new baby gets here, but I'm going to let the him wean himself when he is ready for it. I don't mind the idea of tandem nursing, but I'm secretly hoping to only have to deal with the newborn and give my poor boobies a little bit of a break, heh.

Yeah the more I think about it, Im not too sure I want to feeding her and a newborn, as I know as the baby learns to feed my nipples might get rarked up and sore, and the thought of having a toddler latch on, well *shudder* lol

However, if she still wants to nurse, I will give tandem feeding a go and if its not for me then I will wean her.

Thanks for the replies :)

I'm nearly 17 weeks at the moment and still breasfeeding my 2.5 year-old. She only feeds 1/2 times a day now (at bedtime and sometimes in the morning), but that's due to me cutting her feeds right down when my hyperemesis kicked in around seven weeks and I just wasn't coping with it all (ended up in A&E for dehydration, etc). I'm not sure she would've cut down on her own as she's always been pretty booby-mad, but who knows.

You may have seen it already, but there is a really great and helpful sticky thread in the breastfeeding section all about TTC/pregnancy while breastfeeding and tandem nursing, so you might find that useful to check out too.

I nursed my LO until I was about 10 weeks pregnant and had to stop because my milk dried up. I noticed a drop in supply but within a week it was gone completely. I was upset about it because I had planned to tandum nurse. My LO took to a bottle after a few feeds and started gaining weight again.

I am still nursing my 14 month old. When I first got my BFP my milk supply almost completely disappeared. I took this supplement (https://www.motherlove.com/product/320-More-Milk-Two-Alcohol-Free.html) for awhile and that seemed to help-- I still don't have as much, but DS seems to nurse mainly for comfort. He wakes up at 4:30 or 5am every morning and I take him to bed and he half sleeps half nurses for another hour but it's quite uncomfortable for me and I really don't know how much more I can do that. I want to wait until I am safely out of the first trimester before I make any changes but I would ideally like to wean before #2 comes. (that said I don't want it to be traumatic and he's pretty attached to it right now, so we'll see).

I breastfeed my 14 month old and am about 9ish weeks pregnant :)
My nipples are getting a bit sore but it's not too bad. But my supply is dropping :( so we'll see what happpens with that. I'd love to give tandem feeding a go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->