Breastfeeding whilst pregnant

Juniperjan

Expecting no.2!
Reaction score
Hi there,

I am still breastfeeding my almost 11 month old daughter in the morning and evening. I am almost 7 weeks pregnant and have started experiencing sensitive nipples whilst feeding her. This doesn't particularly put me off but I've done a bit of googling and there is a mixture of reactions to breastfeeding whilst pregnant. I also mentioned to my doctor and he thought I should really stop.

I was hoping to feed my daugher until she was a year old which is 5 weeks away. I have however decided that I might start sooner by weaning her off the morning feed to start with and then the bedtime feed after that.

She is always so impatient in the morning for her feed that I really don't know how this is going to work. I feed her before she goes to nursery where she gets her breakfast. Can anyone share their experience and offer some advice on how to make this happen?

I am not looking forward to refusing her to be honest as it has been a really special time for us both but I do feel that I need to give everything to my current pregnancy and I worry about miscarriage as well.

Thanks for reading :thumbup:

I bf until I was 12w and my dd was 16m. I think as long as you take a multivitamin there isn't any reason for you to stop if you don't want to. But if you do, try to distract her with something else when it's time for her feed. Something really fun which she doesn't get often, for example with my dd I would give her ice cubes to play with in a cup or a fruit juice ice lolly. If you OH is around during those times it's helpful if he distracts her too as your presence (or the presence of your boobs) is a constant reminder. Be prepared for a difficult 3 days but if you can get through it without giving in she will forget about it eventually.

I'm 12 weeks pregnant and my 14 month old is still a complete booby monster-night feeds and all.
Apart from sore nipples and exhaustion I haven't really worried about it.
Miscarriage can happen for a number of reasons or none and there is no proof that breastfeeding causes it so I chose not to worry about it.
Who knows when my little boy will wean? Hopefully before the baby comes or I'll be busy :p
good luck with whatever you decide. And avoid stress :D

Thanks for your replies ladies. I think Lucy has started to wean herself actually as tonight she only took from one boob and flat out refused the other one which she has never done. The taste of my milk must be changing. I would prefer if she weaned herself anyway rather than the other way round as I think I would feel less guilty. :flower:

Well that's a relief for you I'd say. Both my doctor and dietician have asked when I will wean. I always said I'd let him self wean but he could be 5 the way he's going :p
hope it all works out for you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->