breastfeeding with a toddler

Tezzy

Mum of 2 TTCAL
Reaction score
good idea, bad idea?

id like too but maybe i need to give rhys more attention and wont be able to if im breastfeeding!?

My mum fed all of us (4 kids) and the way she did it was when she was feeding it was time for quiet activities such as reading stories on the sofa. It can totally be done and I have every intention of doing it myself when No 2 comes along.

you see because rhys isnt quite old enough to be told to sit and be quiet im wondering how i will work it.. he doesnt sit and read books or watch tv. hes kinda a 'free range' chicken and runs around everywhere!

Im no Kai was older but i found it very hard as Rio was feeding constantly and i felt i had no time for Kai, i think u should give it a try if u really want to do it and if u found it wasnt working out then at least u tried hun.x

Thats one of the reasons why i didnt do it , i really wouildnt be able to with my 2 and a half year old , she loves to play play play and terrible twos well you guessed it that name was made for her!

i tried, an all callum wanted to do was feed so i gave up after a few weeks, tho i still gave him a night-time feed for a few month. it just didnt work with me, chloe was 14 month wen he was born

I also can't really imagine how this can work as Juleika wanted to suck constantly in the beginning!
we also don't have family around to babysit or to help with housework!!!

if you don't mind me asking Marley, what age gap are you guys?

if #2 is coming, I also want to bf, but don't know how this should work out???

I have to admit, Tezzy, it can be tough. When my son was born my daughter was 18 months and thankfully she was such a relaxed child. But what I did feel bad about is not giving her as much attention as she needed. And my son like to feed a lot.

At the same time, even if you bottle fed your baby, you'd still have to sit and cuddle with baby or try to calm him/her down while being fussy at times. There's definitely going to be some trying times ahead for you with regards to Rhys and a newborn.

Rhys is used to mommy giving him sole attention, it seems, and it will be tough on him for awhile. And I don't know what I would have done, quite truthfully, if my daughter had been as active as Rhys when Jayden was born.

Just try and make sure that you set aside some quality time with him a few times per day. Get him involved in helping out with the baby as much as possible.

Best wishes hon! :hug:

I also can't really imagine how this can work as Juleika wanted to suck constantly in the beginning!
we also don't have family around to babysit or to help with housework!!!

if you don't mind me asking Marley, what age gap are you guys?

if #2 is coming, I also want to bf, but don't know how this should work out???

I'm the eldest, my brother is 2 years younger than me, then my other brother is 3 years younger and then my sister is another 2 years younger. You'll find that you won't be able to give him as much attention as he wants anyway as you'll have the baby. What about getting a sling that you can BF in?

on the other hand, I noticed already toddlers and youg children are so fascinated by babies, so possibly nature put sth into place and he will just be understandable???

I know from my grandmother that my mother always sat next to and watched her when she was feeding her little sister! they have an age gap of four years though!

and as well, it's true what others say, the baby care will require a lot of time anyway.

possibly best to give it a try to find out?

good luck :hi:

Me and my younger sister are 15 months apart, and my mom breastfed her exclusively until she was 21 months. We also have an older brother who is nearly 4 years older than me. She breastfed me until she found out she was pregnant with my sister. It's doable, she had a five year old and a 15 month old and breastfed.

But its also completely personal choice. Seeing how much time it takes to feed Erica at the breast, I'm happy that we're waiting a few years before trying again, so I dont run into this problem.

i did it for 8wks (19month gap) but complamented with formula which the MW suggested because told her lil one was feeding all time so if i gave her a bottle it at least gave me time to spend with kieran because she'd go bout 4 ish hours after bottle xx

For me (My daughter will be a little over 3 when this baby is born) the pros out weigh the cons. I'm going to get her to help with other jobs to make her feel part of it. I want to teach my daughter that breast-feeding is natural, so that's a big plus for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->