breastfeeding with second baby- didnt with first

Mrs Doddy

1 pink 1 blue
Reaction score
I couldn't breastfeed my first, I would like to try again this time the baby will hopefully be different and take to it I'm still nervous about it tho

I have a toddler to also look after and bf will be a new thing to me to get to grips with- how will I be able to do things with her while feeding alot

I have large boobs and found it a bit awkward

I didn't like the feeling

I hope my fears are all down to my bad experience before and that I can do it this time

I must sound like a broken record but my advice would be to get some support set up now. Maybe see if there are any local breastfeeding groups or get in touch with an NCT breastfeeding counsellor. 90% of it is about the right support and info. Also, be aware that often breastfeeding can take a wee while to get established but after two weeks or so, it suddenly all falls into place and becomes really easy and convenient.
If it felt awkward last time, maybe think about positioning more this time. For weeks, I could only feed with me in a glider and LO on a nursing pillow, as I never knew quite where to put baby when sat anywhere else. :haha: So finding a comfy seat and the right support (nursing pillow, big cushions as long as they don't slip away...) really helps you concentrate on the actual feeding. I also remember it feeling weird, but only in the beginning. Unless you're talking about it being painful (in which case speak to a midwife or breastfeeding counsellor), you'll get used to it in no time, it's just a new experience!

I was/am in the same position as you. I ff my first, due to naïveté really because I didn't know what was normal and what wasn't. This time I really wanted to give bf a good go.

We're six days in and doing pretty well :flower: I am blessed in that I have a good feeder on my hands. He does have cluster feeding sessions and that can be tough, a standard one is about 2-3 hours which is fine but I did have a marathon one of about 7 hours which almost drove me nuts :wacko: That has improved since my milk has come in and he's getting more efficient at it. My nipples are quite sore, not going to lie and I do brace myself when he latches but it settles after about 20-30 seconds.

I don't have much concrete advice other than if you can think positive and get through the first few days, you'll be giving yourself a great chance to crack it. I now feel pretty confident that he will be a bf baby. He hasn't had any formula and my first had had formula by day three. Nothing against formula at all, my first has thrived regardless but this was a personal goal of mine.

i was unable to bf my first 4 mainly because of bad advice/technique etc. I did successfully bf my 5th for 11 months, the key is being completely committed to it as it is hard in the first few weeks but then is much easier and much more convenient than bottle feeding and make sure you get some proper support and advice. Maybe go along to a le leche meeting in your area before the birth.

I'm in the same posistion. I bf DS for a short time, but I wasn't educated enough and feel I gave up too easily. This time I'm really hoping bf will work for us. I do worry about how much harder it will be with a young toddler around as well. Hubby should hopfully be having three weeks off after the birth an I'm hoping that by the time he goes back, we might have started to get in a bit of a routine and bf be a little more established. My long term goal is 6 months of bf, but I'm going to set up short term goals, to help me when I'm finding it tough. I'm setting the first 3 days, then week, then 2 weeks, then 6 weeks, after that hopfully should be on track. I've also told my oh, mum and mil etc, they are to support me to keep going as with DS they didn't. I'm also going to take all support available from midwifes etc, last time I didn't as I felt uncomforatable. Good luck xx

Bottle-fed babies also feed a lot when they're little, and in addition to the feeding you have all the washing, sterilising, making bottles - bf is a lot less time and work in my experience.

My second fed much faster when bf than he ever did from a bottle - so it was a lot easier and much more convenient to bf him than it was to bottlefeed, especially with a young toddler around.

im the same only lasted 5 days before but really want to give it a go. im just worried how to deal with cluster feeds when i got an 18month old to look after.

i been researching good sling/carriers to help out, and intend to buy DS fav dvds...i know tv not the best but it will only be for a short while.

I would say the same as pp's get a support system happening and look into a lactation consultant. I had inverted nipples with my first and he was also born with his bottom lip sucked in so breastfeeding was awful for us. After lots of determination and mixed feeding for 5 weeks because he wouldn't latch for longer than 10 minutes with coming off about 5 times in that 10 minutes we finally breastfed and it was great. Don't get me wrong my nipples were sore but lansinoh is an amazing creation!! I was lucky my hospital had round the clock lactation consultants that were there for you when ever you needed and they were fantastic they have me such great advice and loads of techniques to use. I also used nipples shield as one of my biggest problems was it was so hard for my son to draw my nipple out with ten being inverted. It is definitely possible you just need like I said lots of determination, will power to push through the pain and positive thoughts and advice. I am very lucky because so breastfed my son for almost 16 months my nipples are no longer inverted so it should be much easier this time. Also if you have trouble with supply a great alternative to medication is blessed thistle or fenugreek I used tem instead of the pre scripted stuff to keep my supply up when it was at its worst and it worked amazing at one point it gave me over supply lol which is always good to freeze!
Good luck to you all it can be difficult but it's worth it to stick it out and it's fantastic that you all want to give it another go!!

first off, get in to the breastfeeding section, start educationing yourself on everything to do with breastfeeding. (I say this because a lot of doctors/nurses and even LC, still provided wrong information to breastfeeding moms).

Build a support group, start going to meetings, meet with local moms, ask them questions, learn of their expenses.

Babywear, get a carrier that you CAN nurse in, this will help with clusterfeeding times.

Think of the first 6 weeks at hell week, It'll be uncomfortable, awakened, sometimes painful. But it will all get better, as your latch gets better, and your confidents grows.. Breastfeeding is natural but you and your baby need to learn to do it this takes time. Lanolin and open air on the nipples help!

From 6 weeks to 3 months, as long as you have no lip/tongue ties to work out, or sort out... and your latch has start to improve the pain will start to settle, you will start to be less uncomfortable. Positions will work better for you, and you will find yourself enjoying it. Very few people enjoy breastfeeding the first time until after 3 months, why? because all the kinks seem to work their way out by that time. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->