Breech at 31 weeks

Talia12

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

I had a scan at 30w which showed baby was breech, even though that very morning she had been head down while I was on a trace (although I'm doubting this as I realise they could have been wrong about that, midwife seemed sure based on feeling the head down low and also where the heartbeat was found, but still). Since then it's seemed to me that she's been breech/transverse the whole time - I'm based this on the fact that all the movement I feel is belly button + lower, plus hiccups I'm feeling just above my belly button rather than down low.

I'm just started to get a bit concerned about this because I really, really don't want a c section - I've been bouncing on the ball for a week now plus trying inversions and completely avoiding any leaning back/knees higher than hips positions.

I was wondering if any of you had breech babies at 31 weeks who then flipped by themselves?

I happen to have a growth scan next week at 32+1 where obviously I'll get a definitive answer as to baby's position (I'm seeing the midwife tomorrow but I don't 100% trust what they say based on feeling my bump), and I really want to start sorting it if baby is still breech because I find the NHS stance that "it doesn't matter until 36 weeks" quite frustrating, as by then pretty much all you can do is have an ECV and they're only like 50% effective.

Anyone got any advice for me or experiences? TIA :flower:

My first pregnancy, my lo was breech until 37 weeks then decided to turn. So in my experience, plenty of time left:haha:

This baby was breech until around 34 weeks. Don't worry it's still got plenty of time to flip xx

Thanks ladies, hope so! I don't know what to think when I look it up :shrug: seems to be the general idea that they should've flipped head down by about 30 weeks, and that's what the guy who scanned me last week suggested too, so I don't know what to think!

My son didn't flip until around 35+ weeks! You can check out spinning babies online it has good information and suggestions for helping to encourage baby to flip. Don't stress, you have lots of time.

Also, just because baby is breech doesn't immediately mean C-section, you can still have a vaginal birth with no complications if the baby is bum down. Discuss your options with your midwife/Doctor.

My son didn't flip until around 35+ weeks! You can check out spinning babies online it has good information and suggestions for helping to encourage baby to flip. Don't stress, you have lots of time.

Also, just because baby is breech doesn't immediately mean C-section, you can still have a vaginal birth with no complications if the baby is bum down. Discuss your options with your midwife/Doctor.

Thanks, I found that website too and have been doing my best for the past week to do stuff from it!
Can I ask if you're in the UK? Just because I was pretty sure that here, breech meant C sec. My second nephew was breech (actually, unstable lie due to polyhydramnios so maybe it's slightly different, for example they never attempted ECV) and my sister was told she wouldn't be able to deliver vaginally at all. I was under the impression that was a big no-no for the NHS. :shrug:

Thanks, I found that website too and have been doing my best for the past week to do stuff from it!
Can I ask if you're in the UK? Just because I was pretty sure that here, breech meant C sec. My second nephew was breech (actually, unstable lie due to polyhydramnios so maybe it's slightly different, for example they never attempted ECV) and my sister was told she wouldn't be able to deliver vaginally at all. I was under the impression that was a big no-no for the NHS. :shrug:

I think you're right Talia, I'm in the UK and that's my understanding of it aswell although no first hand experience so could be wrong. I think evc has a 50% chance of turning if I'm correct? And most likely to work on second or subsequent pregnancies. Hopefully your little one will turn though.

Yeah, I thought you had to get a private midwife and attempt home birth if you wanted a vaginal breech birth. Which is pretty annoying! But it's early days for me. Hopefully baby flips. I'll ask someone about it if she's still breech at my scan next week!

Mine was breech from around 24 weeks to 34 weeks and then she flipped head down, you have time!! Hope LO flips for you!!

Thanks! Me too! Glad yours did.
Can I ask how all you ladies knew when baby was head down? I'm pretty unsure most of the time. Sometimes I think I can make out a head shape up high, but I know bums feel pretty head-like especially to amateurs! I only have the impression that she's breech because of the hiccup thing. Those are definitely around/just above my bellybutton. Kicks and jabs are sort of all over the place :shrug:
She was head down at 28+6 at my 3D scan, and supposedly the morning I was 30w, but then breech that evening!

It’s definitely too early to worry - try not to! I was born breech back in the 80s with a normal vaginal birth. It can be done, doctors are risk averse now, so that’s why they like to recommend a c section, but it doesn’t mean that you have to have a c section if baby is still breech at term. You can refuse any medical procedure offered to you. So you can simply refuse to have a c section and it’s not like they can throw you out on the street after that. My advice would be 1) don’t stress as there is still time for baby to turn, 2) if baby doesn’t turn on her own you can try an ECV, 3) if that still doesn’t work you can discuss having a vaginal birth with your doctor, you’d probably have to be continuously monitored but they cannot make you have a c section unless it’s all going wrong and baby becomes stressed, 4) if you do believe the risks are too high, then you can have a planned c section. I had an emergency c section with my first and whilst it’s not the ideal situation, it’s also not the end of the world whether it’s planned or not for baby to be delivered that way.

I had no idea on my own if baby was Breech or head down I only know from the ultrasounds that were done. It all kinda feels the same to me lol.

My dd was breech at almost 32 weeks, my doc wasn't worried at that point. Don't know when she turned but she did!

I'm 31 weeks and baby is currently breech too. I think my daughter was at this point too. Tons of time and room to turn yet though, so no biggy x

I am in Canada, however we are very behind the times when it comes to Breech Birth. Here, if the baby is breech and you don't discuss beforehand your options, they will immediately take you for a C-section. Mostly because a lot of moms just immediately take the doctors advise, because they think it is best or are worried. I am certainly not saying that doctors are wrong or c-sections don't have their place, as they certainly do, but being informed about your rights and options can help. There is more and more evidence coming out on breech birth and that as long as baby is bum first, not feet first, then a vaginal birth can happen. Feet first the risks are too high.

It doesn't hurt to ask your healthcare provider what all of your options are.

But like I said before you have so much time for that baby to flip!

Thank you ladies!
I have been trying not to stress over this and have been doing inversions and bouncing on the ball - I'm not convinced it's worked yet as I'm still feeling all my movements down low which is frustrating, but we'll see where we are at my scan in 5 days I suppose! :shrug:
I almost wish I hadn't had that scan because I'd been told that morning that baby was head down, and I sort of feel like I've had all this stress unnecessarily because I'd have been none the wiser if not for the scan...but oh well guess we'll see!
Trying to remember it's still pretty early days :flower:

I really wouldn't worry, last time she didn't go head down till about 38 weeks! I ended up with a section but for different reasons, I was due at the mw at 38 to see if she had flipped but ended up going differently anyway but when I ended up with my section she was head down so somewhere between 37-38+4 she flipped!
Bounce as much as you can, happy cat/sad cat yoga pose too. But yes too early to worry x

Thank you! I work from home so I just roll the ball up to my desk and bounce on that for hours while I type haha. Been trying to walk a fair amount too, well just for staying active reasons as well! If the happy cat/sad cat thing is the same as the cat cow pose I found online then I've also been doing that! I'm glad all you girls think it's too soon to worry though :blush: but I'd be mad at myself for not trying haha.

OP, any updates?
Did your baby flip?

Thank you for asking!
Yes she did! She was head down at 32 weeks and at my scan last week at 36 weeks. I do feel a bit on edge that she could flip back, haha! I don't know why! :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashhmichelle
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->