Brief exposure to extreme mold... Should I be worried?

October2013

Mommy to a baby girl
Reaction score
So we've had my OH's broken down old truck sitting in our yard for almost a year now (why is it so hard for men to get rid of things???) and someone is supposed to FINALLY be coming by to pick it up, so my OH asked me to go put the keys in the cab. We haven't opened the doors in the truck for a couple months, but apparently there was a leak somewhere in the roof because the ENTIRE cab is absolutely COVERED in mold. Ladies, never in my life have I seen anything like this.... There literally wasn't more than an inch of space in there that wasn't moldy. It was just unbelievable.

Anyways, I'm a little worried that my brief exposure to the mold has effected me. As soon as I opened the truck door, it hit me in the face like a big, thick wave. I immediately closed the door and walked away from the area, but I was exposed to this mold for about 10 seconds or so, and now my eyes burn and my nose itches like I need to sneeze. I came inside, washed my hands, and blew my nose but my sinuses are still burning! I'm a little concerned that I may have breathed some in and it's damaging my lungs!

Anyone know anything about exposure to mold and if I should be worried?

I would ring the nurse either at the drs office you go to or at the nearest emergency room and see what they say. Worst they can do is ask you to come in for something. That's just me tho. I ring the nurse for any worry, it's what they're there for.

I've done a ton of research on this. Unfortunately it was months ago & my preggo brain can't remember exactly, but no, you should not be worried. A few months back I kept smelling a musty odor in my house. Everybody acted like I was crazy b/c nobody else could smell it. But my good old pregnant nose wasnt lying. DH was in the basement working out the one day & found a mold outbreak. Our furniture was covered. Clothing. Toys. Rugs. Basically everything that wasnt stored in plastic containers & could absorb it was ruined. We have a basement the size of our house too so you can imagine how many items we had to get rid of $1000s worth. I never thought turning off the dehumidifier before we went to the beach & forgetting to turn it back on could cause such a mess. DH did most of the clean up work, but I was down there a lot sorting through our stuff. The whole house reeked of it. I couldn't keep my mask on b/c my anemia makes me short of breathe & I felt like I was suffocating. So you can imagine how paranoid I was. I did a ton of research & like I said I can't remember exactly but a) mold is only a problem if you are allergic & b) a baby is not affected by your breathing in mold.
Granted I got my info online but it satisfied me. Your dr may say something different so you may want to check with them. But I highly doubt a brief inhalation of mold will do anything. I live in an area that used to be a swampland. Every pregnant lady has mold growing in her basement lol.

Thanks so much! After the exposure I became a little dizzy and EXTREMELY exhausted (not because of the mold but because today was just an emotional day) so I decided to take a nap. Since waking up I feel fine and I actually forgot about the mold until I came back to this thread! LOL good ol' pregnancy brain.
:dohh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->