bumpers

vickilouise

Reaction score
ive read in a magazine that bumpers are dangerous for babies, as they can strangle themselves on it.
is this true? my OH said that the likes of mothercare mamas and papas etc wouldnt sell em if they were dangerous. still cant help thinkin i wont get 1.

I've heard something like this too recently, don't know if I believe it, seems like now everything you can put in a crib is bad for baby. I don't think so many stores would keep selling them if they were that big of a risk, plus I think I feel more comfortable with them in so baby doesn't hit her head on the hard wood of the crib

I was told by the nurses at work not to use them because there suffocation risk. I found this article on why bumpers are not advised by some. It is a study done on bumper deaths between 1985-2005. It gives a detailed list of how 27 deaths occurred during that time frame. It also gives a list of injuries that occurred from not using a bumper. I would just ask your pediatrician on their thoughts on whether you should use them or not since they should be up on the information on what you should and should not use :)

https://www.sidsalliance.org/PDFs/BumperArticle.pdf

Was advised not to use them. Not recommended by sudden infant death syndrome people either

Ohhhh i've been looking at bumper sets these last few days was intended on buying one next week, dont know whether of not to now :wacko:

Have other people been using these or not?

I won't have one. There are mesh bumpers that you can use that lay flat against the rails, but prevent an little arm or leg from getting between the bars.

I've heard that you aren't supposed to use them after the baby is able to roll over.

I bought two one for the cot and another for the crib (which noah is no longer in!) I was advised not to use them (until baby is 12 months) by the hospital and then by my MW & HV!
I ended up using it around the bottom of the crib (I weaved in and out of the bars) as Noah kept sticking his foot out the bottom & getting it stuck!

I dnt think it would prevent a LO sticking their arms or legs out of a big cot as if they're in the feet to foot position they're arms & legs aren't near it! I still wouldn't use one though until 12 months!

Think the shops sell a lot of things for money more than practicality TBH! I know when I was PG I wanted everything in the room, bumper, quilt, matching lampshade, wallpaper etc! Had I have known you weren't ment to use a bumper I would have bought them! Wish we'd have never even done the nursery out as Noah's never even been in it and we're moving so will only have to do it all again! :dohh: But it was one of those things.....I wanted him to have everything proper and nice!

xx

I don't know really, I used one with Rachel, one that went all round the cot. I remember taking it down when she was able to roll around and grab things. I think that's when there's a danger.
x

Awwww :( That's another thing I like that's been given a bad name. I thought they made the cot and nursery look a bit more cosy. Instead of the clinical white. If you buy a cot sheet set here they come with. Ok the set includes a big fluffy duvet which I'd never see myself using in a cot.

I honestly thought there wasn't an issue. There hasn't actually been one up till now. Will have to put quite a bit of thought into it.

i asked my midwife when i seen her about this and she said they can be dangerous when the baby is able to sit up on its own but she also said that everything you put into the path of your child has the potential to be dangerous if its not fitted/used properly.
needless to say im still none the wiser lol

:( ive just gone out and bought a lovely matching bedding bale with one in, im sure loadsa people still use them though?!

We used them at a nursery I use to work at & no-one ever said anything, even ofsted. Im sure Ofsted would have told us to stop using them if they were that dangerous.

Like Vicki said, everything can be dangerous to a child if its not fitted/used properly. If you looked at all the studies you would find that you are not meant to use a lot of things!! I will personally be using one but I will make sure that it is fitted properly.

xx

Any one know why SIDS advise against them??

I have used them and would continue to. If they are tied on tight (most of them tie-up top and bottom) and taken away when baby starts to explore, where is the harm?

As has already been said, everything has the potential to harm. x

I read that you ARE supposed to use them so the baby doesn't hurt their head on the side of the crib. Now I'm just confused. I've got a bumper going around my crib, not sure whether or not I will keep it there but so far I'm leaning more towards having it.

OOhh . Luckyme225, I have just viewed the sidsalliance link you posted. Those scene reincarnations under the results section were scarey, particularly the 'baby' on its front, stuck in a corner with bumper either side and I assume no air able to circulate as gaps covered by bumper. I won't be buying one

i find it odd that we're meant to stop using them when baby can roll around...isnt that when they are meant to do good - to stop baby hitting his head?
There's little point for a newborn who can't roll about is there?

I might geta very hard one...or not bother..

I'm a little worried.... I wonder if the bare bars can cause harm?!

i had never even thought about this before to be honest. I was going to buy a co-ordinated set because it looked cute but i don't think i'll risk it now. I'd never forgive myself if it did cause my baby harm

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->