Bus travel with toddler

Padan1111

Reaction score
Hi there

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas. We are going on holiday next monday with our 16month old. After the flight there will be a pretty long bus transfer, possibly 45 mins.

I feel somewhat uneasy about having toddler on knee without them being strapped in. I can't tuck them into my lap belt, so what I had thought is whether there was any product that attaches them to my belt - much like the thing they give you for the flight.

I've looked around online and I don't think I am using the right search terms because I can't find anything except normal harnesses for walking with reins.

Does anyone have any particular products they can recommend? There must be something like this available don't you think? Short of nicking the thing off the plane, I can't think of what to do!!?

Thank you!

Where are you traveling to there might not be any belts at all on bus

We're going to Lanzarote and there will be belts on the bus, but I guess they will be lap belts and they won't fit a 16 month old particularly well.

The last time we went on vacation we brought two car seats just for the transfers to/from the airport.

The last time we went on vacation we brought two car seats just for the transfers to/from the airport.

Not many car seats work with just a lap belt though, which is what will be on the coach I guess.

I believe in the US most car seats can be installed with just lap belts, but most places in the U.K. don’t use lap belts so our seats need three point belts to install.

Maybe something like the bubble bum seat?

Hi guys

Thanks for the responses.

The belt extender is exactly that, I'm not sure how it works as a standalone belt attaching to a lap belt. It might work if I can't find anything else. Just have to ensure it would fit.

The bubble bum seat's not quite right because she's too small for a group 2/3 :S

I've also seen some harnesses for use with children on a motorbike. But that doesn't seem quite right either!

There's a hole here in the market, time for dragons den!?

I know he is too young for bubble bum, but it’s better than nothing. Using a lap belt on him is pointless as his hip structure would not be high enough to catch the lap belt, therefore the seatbelt could cause serious internal injuries.

Can you hire a car and use your own car seat?

I believe in the US most car seats can be installed with just lap belts, but most places in the U.K. don’t use lap belts so our seats need three point belts to install.

Interesting. Here in Canada our seats can be installed with just a lap belt. Only really old cars use lap belts so we wouldn't use just a lap belt to install the seats in our vehicles, but it is handy to have the option for when on a plane or a bus.

Interesting. Here in Canada our seats can be installed with just a lap belt. Only really old cars use lap belts so we wouldn't use just a lap belt to install the seats in our vehicles, but it is handy to have the option for when on a plane or a bus.

The law is changing so that soon, all new car seats will require isofix rather than a seatbelt. We have always used isofix seats. Personally I wouldn’t feel safe using something installed just with a lap belt.

Most people don’t use a car seat on a plane.

The law is changing so that soon, all new car seats will require isofix rather than a seatbelt. We have always used isofix seats. Personally I wouldn’t feel safe using something installed just with a lap belt.

Most people don’t use a car seat on a plane.

Agreed, I would never use just a lap belt with my kid in the car, but I would rather use a car seat secured with a lap belt on a bus rather than just holding my baby in my arms.

I love using the car seat on a plane. I have no delusions that it will save my DD's life should the plane crash, but it is handy to keep my 2.5 year old in her seat and restrained, especially if I'm holding a sleeping baby and can't readily deal with her trying to get out of her seat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->