"But your baby is massive, what if you DIE?"

look that sh*t just annoys me!! its ignorance that causes people to say stupid, uneducated things like that, and also the way the medical community has a profit based interest in the general public believing that stuff.
I had lots of that kind of talk early on in my pregnancy, and after that I just stopped telling people I was planning a homebirth. the fact is, if you are planning a homebirth, then chances are you've done your own research, and you know its the best choice for you! so you really dont need other peoples opinions on it. If there are peeps you have to tell, and you get feedback like that, I would simply say to them "you go and do the __ hours of research that I have put into this, and then come back and have an intelligent conversation with me about it". For me I could honestly say that after reading several books and multiple articles, I spent likely 100 hours researching my decision. so it just pisses me off when people who have done zero reading or research about it, act like they know anything!

good luck!

:hugs: to LegoHouse, I know how disheartening it is to be met with negativity when you are planning something very positive. My ILs were very negative when I told them we were planning a hb with DD, the conversation was...
Me&DH- "We are planning a home birth"
ILs- "No you're NOT"

:wacko: Like they have a say

I am so sorry your mother was so negative. My in-laws (well, husband's father and stepmother) are completely negative and have crappy attitudes about my whole pregnancy this time around. Everyone else in both our families are just worried about me because I suffer severe PPD, but they are both just totally horrible.

That's terrible... my mom is totally cool with the idea of a home-birth but the idea of a water birth completely wigs her out (she says its unnatural for land based mammals to give birth in water and will NOT budge on this no matter what)

Whatever, if I find a midwife in the area I'm moving to that will support me for a home birth I'm also going to push for a water birth :D

I even tried explaining to my mum that its a natural method of pain relief vs epidurals and other drugs and she kept on emphasizing that there is nothing natural about land based mammals birthing in water. Oh well....

Everyone thought my LO would be big. My consultant said he was 8lbs at 37weeks and predicted he would be 9lbs at birth. My son was born at 39 weeks (failed induction) weighing 7lbs 3oz.

I even tried explaining to my mum that its a natural method of pain relief vs epidurals and other drugs and she kept on emphasizing that there is nothing natural about land based mammals birthing in water. Oh well....

That was my in laws attitude, too. They said "You're not a hippo so why do you want to birth in water". I just casually informed them that Ancient Egyptian royalty were birthed underwater and only the best would do for my baby. It's crazy that your Mum would prefer you to have drugs than use water for pain relief.

That was my in laws attitude, too. They said "You're not a hippo so why do you want to birth in water". I just casually informed them that Ancient Egyptian royalty were birthed underwater and only the best would do for my baby. It's crazy that your Mum would prefer you to have drugs than use water for pain relief.

:dohh:

My whole family thought i was 'crazy' when i said i wanted a home birth with no2 and we didn't even TELL OHs family as i know they would have gone mental about it. As it turned out it was a perfect, easy, 4hours labour from start to finish. Will deffo be hoping for the same for no3!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->