Buying a new build, do I HAVE to use their financial adviser?!

katherinegrey

Reaction score
We're currently looking at two different houses on different new build developments. The one house is £10,000 cheaper, but the area isn't as nice and it doesn't have a garage, the other one is obviously more expensive, but in a nicer area with better schools nearby.

However, the first property we were advised to speak to their recommended financial adviser, and were assured he is completely independent. He was lovely, and did his absolute best to get us the best mortgage he could, and came up with a lender that would actually lend us about £10,000 more than we needed on this house. When we went to view the other property, she told us to speak to their recommended adviser. DH told her we were actually already in talks with a financial adviser, and she said we HAD to use the one they recommend. Erm, why? If these advisers are truly independent like they're supposed to be, how can the sales lady specify which one we use?! Anyway, we spoke to their financial adviser, and he said he'd got no idea how the first one had managed to get us such a deal, as the best he could do was around £30,000 UNDER what we needed! He then told us we can't afford the house we want, and to forget it basically. Again, this sounds like total rubbish to me. The mortgage repayments are less than we paid in rent per month before my DH got promoted.

So, my question is, can we use the financial adviser who can get us the best deal, or is she telling the truth and we have to use the one she told us to? I know that each individual developer is paying the advisers fee, which we'd obviously have to find ourselves if we use one they haven't recommended, but can we do this? Can we just pay the fee and use the first one?

Thank you :flower:

No experience, but if they are paying the fees, then they will be allowed to specify which one you will have to use. Same with Solicitors (I know some building firms will pay legal fees but it is all done through the same Solicitors). However, if you are going to pay the fees, as far as I am aware you can choose who you want.

I'm not sure how much my advice will help since I'm in the US, so obviously different as far as our own laws for these types of things. When we built our home 4 years ago, they were only allowed to recommend who to use for financing the mortgage. They weren't allowed to sway out choice, or demand we use anyone specific. We visited more than one place, and chose who we wanted. The fee was added onto the mortgage when we bought the home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->