C-section rights for everyone on NHS??

tina3747

Mummy of 2 gorgeous boys!
Reaction score
Have just been Reading a report on sky news,all ladies may now have the right to a ceasarean section if they so choose on the NHS?!
So is this right or wrong???
Is it good we get the choice or bad to have a costly and unneccesary procedure ?

My opinion is that we already have a wide range of choices available to us with child birth with epidurals, gas, pethedine, birthing pools why on earth woul you choose to have an operation that takes 6 weeks in recovery?
Most section ladies on here would kill for a natural birth?!
What's everyone elses opinion??

Sorry I can't post a link as I'm on my phone, but if you can find it please post it for me!!

A csec is MAJOR surgery and I font think it's right for someone to b able to say "I'm too scared to push" or "I want my bits to stay like they are" coz let's face it there will b aloy of that and I don't think people realise what they r asking for in just requesting a csec with no previous csec.I think there's enough choice for us in pain meds,babies are meant to come out vaginally unless medically not possible,i was really looking forward to giving birth naturally but ended with an emcs and now bcoz it got infected with mrsa and ate away at my flesh I'm told that I may not b able to carry anymore children and if I do then it's definitely another csec :cry: xx

ive jsut heard this, i had to have a c-sec with my first, with this baby cos i had a cyst removed at just 5wk thro my c-sec scar they recommend another c-sec which i will be having, but had i had the choice i certainly wudnt of chosen a c-sec first time round,the pain and recovery is just awful , i dnt think we shud get a choice unless medical, it will mean lots of babies born at 39wk etc x

No I wouldnt choose it,I think babies should come out the way they are meant to unless medically neccessary.

I was naive enough at the beginning of my pregnancy to think I would prefer a section! (as I was sure I would be having a big baby). However, after reading more about it, it's not something I wanted.
Turns out I did needed an emergency section in the end. It is definitely not something I would choose, now that I've had one. At the end of the day, it's major surgery and takes a while to recover from. It's unfortunate that if I have another baby, I'm told I will more than likely need another!

I think its absolutely ridiculous! When the NHS is already struggling so much financially that they can't afford a full staff of midwives on every maternity ward would they want to waste the money offering unnecessary MAJOR SURGERY to women who are either too scared to give birth or don't want their "downstairs" to change. U actually can't believe the government have agreed this given the current economic situation. I work for the civil service and they've been so tight with our budget lately we've had to photocopy our calendars instead of being given a real one and we haven't had a pay rise in the last 2 years yet the government are happy to waste tax payers money on this?! Just makes me so mad!

Who'd choose to have a C-section anyway?? The first 6 weeks of my LO's life were the hardest 6 weeks of my life so far and I've no idea how I could have cooed if I'd also been recovering from surgery!

Sorry, rant over now :)

Whilst I do believe in a freedom of choice, I do not agree that it should be avaliable on the NHS. I think I read somewhere that it costs in excess of 20k to have a C-section on the NHS, so a lot less than that for a vaginal birth. With an already streched NHS I do not think at all it should be avaliable, unless in emergencies. If you want to 'opt' for a section, then pay for it privately.

I think I had a fairly easy recovery but that is crazy that people WANT a c-sectioning that NHS is paying for it, or even considering it. What is next elective facelifts, breast augmentation, Botox? As others have said, major surgery, expensive, higher risk fir complications, higher risk next pregnancy and delivery, higher risk for infant illness... Just because we can do it doesn't mean we should!

Medically necessary is one thing and in many cases a woman and doctor can find a reason To do a section anyhow. So I suppose it doesn't matter. In the US state funded health care plans in some states have stopped covering circumcision. It is odd to hear UK on the opposite end of the spectrum!

Ooh boy this could get ugly...

Personally I don't see why you'd want major surgery then try & look after a baby!! Giving birth is the most natural thing for a woman to do & the pain meds are there to be used.. let's face it - the NHS can't afford for people to choose a c sec, other area of care will end up bein cut

X

I just can't understand any reasoning behind it? Not only is the operation costly the whole aftercare costs thousands. And what about the women who NEED a section, especially in emergency situtions. Are the surgeons going to be bogged down with the women who are choosing it over needing it?? In that case will the numbers of fatailities from emergency secs go up because of them being tied up with the c-section choosers??

Think it's going down a scary road...

I had a c-sec first time round due to after a week of failed induc, & was no longer safe for baby so had to get him out.

I think its an absolute joke that the nhs can afford to fund this and are giving people the choice!
If you want a c-sec for a non medical reason, well then you should pay!

Personally I don't see why you'd want major surgery then try & look after a baby!! Giving birth is the most natural thing for a woman to do & the pain meds are there to be used.. let's face it - the NHS can't afford for people to choose a c sec, other area of care will end up bein cut

X

Just being devils advocate... Breast feeding is the most natural thing in the world next to giving birth but we have an artifiicial choice with that?!

I just think The government is going forwards in promoting breast feeding but backwards in giving birth!!!

Heres the article if anyone is interested:

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...-to-be-given-right-to-caesareans-2377992.html

No i dont think people should choose to have a cesction on the NHS. Its ridiculous people would choose major surgery over something our bodys are built to do (im not tslking elective or medical reasons obv).

If people are that desperate for a csection they should pay privatly not expect the NHS to pay

X

Just being devils advocate... Breast feeding is the most natural thing in the world next to giving birth but we have an artifiicial choice with that?!

That is a really good point, however, it is at the expense of the mother, and not the NHS. If someone chooses to FF then they pay for it, just like I believe a c-section as a choice should be.

X

That is a really good point, however, it is at the expense of the mother, and not the NHS. If someone chooses to FF then they pay for it, just like I believe a c-section as a choice should be.

Exactly. My local hospital has just started making people bring their own formula (the hospital provides the bottles/teats though) which i totally agree with.

The NHS can not afford to pander to peoples choices. Id rather have money for actuall medical needs rather then wants. How much does a csection cost the NHS £5000? That could go towards the care of preemie/sick babies or the cancer wonder drugs the NHS can not afford at the minute. That £5000 could give a family a extra few months with a loved one with cancer or mean that the mums of a sick baby could have a room at the hospital with their baby.

Csections for pure convenience/choose is crazy to me.

No I don't think people should be able to choose a C-sec without any medical reason. C-secs are there if needed I.e the mother can't deliver naturally etc. It is major surgery and carries a lot more risks than a natural birth therefore the descion to have it shouldn't be taken lightly and should be the last resort x y

Absolutely ridiculous! If you want (not need!) a C-Section then you should go private & pay.

ETA: Just a thought, if they implement this, c-section rates will go up, hence tying up theatre staff. What will happen when there is an EMC needed?

I think this is stupid, when i got pregnant with my 1st i thought i would rather a c-section but after having a natural i realized it would be stupid to go for an operation

It's utterly wrong, it costs more than a standard delivery. I'm all for medical reasoning but a simple choice for no reason? Get a grip NHS. SCBUs are closing and staff is limited, its all very well offering the procedure but if babies need special care that may be limited? Come on. It's time they got their priorities right

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->