C-section rights for everyone on NHS??

I seem to be one of the few women who thinks this would be a good thing. A c section delivery costs £800 pounds more than a vaginal one, so yes it costs more money but it gives women more choice over their bodies and their babies.

From my own experience, i found my opinion counted for nothing when i was in labour, my baby was in distress and i was refused a c section. 6 hours later when his heart beat dropped so low it almost stopped they said i could have one so i was rushed through in a panic. I feel my feelings were completely ignored and my baby could have died just because somebody decided i couldn't have a section. So i welcome the right to choose.IN my opinion it is my body, my baby so my choice.

I don't actually think a lot more women would opt for a section. And money could be saved as other problems could be prevented which develop after a traumatic delivery. Also, it may actually help with the MW staffing shortage as women could have a scheduled appt and therefore they will know when they room in theatre to deliver the babies.

I welcome the change.

I agree with babyblog,

The cost of an elective cesarean is nowhere near between £5k - 20k as previously stated (on the NHS) - the cost for a cesarean privately hits those figures...

Statistically, elective c-secs are more safer than natural births, it's very rare that you hear a positive c-sec story from your MW because they are so "pro natural", probably more financially orientated than "caring for your right of choice".

I think one thing we have to separate, is a C-sec and an emergency C-sec... they are very different and the mental preparedness of the mother is probably one of the most important key points. Choosing your C-Sec day gives you the ability to prepare, mentally and emotionally for that specific day, whereas an emergency one doesn't.

If people are concerned about scheduled c-secs taking priority over emergency ones, don't. We were advised by our consultant that an emergency C-Sec will always take priority as they need to ensure the well being of the mother and child in distress.

We live in a modern world, where our basic fundamental right is the right of choice. We choose who we want to be, where we want to live, what clothes to wear, what food to eat etc - why can't this be just "another" choice.

Let's not forget that vaginal delivery complications can cost the NHS far more than an elective c-sec.

A happy medium would be for the NHS to charge the £800 it costs them for the surgery - it's a lot cheaper than a private clinic / doctor - this would also force private practices and doctors to re-evaluate their prices.

I had a c-sec and my recovery was quick. Up and walking the same night of the surgery, pretty much mobile the minute I got home. I can't fault the experience.

Just my thoughts (and my right to have these thoughts)

^elective c sections are safer than natural birth? Have you got any source for that? I don't see how cutting into several layers and then into an organ is safer statistically. I had a c section and told my oh to watch and he said it was major surgery

It is major surgery, but fetal/child death is more likely to happen during a complicated vaginal delivery than a planned c-sec. C-secs are the quickest and fastest way to get a baby out hence why they are done in an emergency situation. Obviously complications can happen during any mode of delivery.

This is what I have been told by both a consultant and a few midwives.

Generally speaking - statistically emergency and planned c-secs are generally done/reported together and there isn't a very clear line drawn highlighting the differences. Remember - in order for an emergency c-sec to take place the mother or baby would already be in danger/distress. It only takes place due to a failed vaginal delivery and if cesareans didn't happen as a form of life saving intervention mortality rates for vaginal births would be a lot higher. ( Imagine how high those statistics would be if that was the case - obviously any mother would have an emergency c-sec when facing this choice. But sadly now days due to the bad rep that c-secs have, many mothers, midwives and doctors delay this life saving surgery and lives are lost as a result.)

If its planned - You are booked in, there are no shortages, you wont be turned away if the hospital is full, it wont be at some potentially obscure hour when tiredness may become a factor in those helping to bring your LO into this world. You wont be rushed or passed on because a shift ends.

Again this is my opinion.

For me and my situation it was the best and safest mode of delivery. Its what I needed to keep myself and my son healthy and happy and if I had the option for a do over - I would do it all the same. Even though I had a planned c-sec, my son had other plans and decided to come 2 weeks early, I was taken in as an emergency.

I am very pro choice, but I understand the impact financially on the NHS, hence the happy medium, let women choose what she feels is right, under supervision and if that choice happens to be a c-sec, let the mother pay the excess is costs the NHS.

I also want to clarify - I don't agree with an elective if its done just because someone cant be bothered to deliver vaginally - but at the end of the day its all about the freedom of choice. :thumbup:

I am just tired of women who choose this mode of delivery being crucified because its not what some people or majority of people would want. As mentioned before its pretty much like the breast vs bottle debate. Women should support each other, empower each other to feel confident in their choice of birthing experience, how they feed their babies and how they are raised as long as its done in their best interests.

xx :flower:

I wanted to add that i think my current opinion is also based on the fact that there are a shortage of MW's in the NHS at present which i believe is increasing the risk of problem for women and their babies. I actually currently like the idea of beinb booked in for a time and date where staffing shortages aren't an issue and when i am going to be expected.It makes me personally feel safer about the whole process (probably because i lost a lot of faith in the medical team i had last time).

I found this comment on an article about the choice to have a cesarean and it sums up what I was saying...

"About time too, choice and a feeling of being in control are hugely important. It won't be the preferred option for many women, but for others it will hopefully give them huge peace of mind during what is already a worrying period of time for many, where fear of natural delivery causes much stress and anxiety. For those who are anti caesarean section deliveries, think of it the other way around, imagine if you had to deliver via c-section and natural deliveries were frowned upon? Mmm thought so, you would fight for your right to choose also."

Read more: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/...section-birth-dont-need-it.html#ixzz1cIt68ZLZ

I completely agree with the being in control part :)

But do you have any credible sources that support that view. Sorry I really dislike the daily mail and do not believ anything they say

I may be missing the point-but the article doesn't say c sections are safe than vaginal births, but they are safer than they used to be.

I dont think its a good idea, I had a c section with Rhys after 26 hours of labour and I hope with my next one I will be allowed to have a elective section cos I don't think I can give birth naturally but at least I have had that experience of labour.

How can a lady having her first say that a c section is better, she doesn't know.
My own personal view is first time mums shouldnt have the choice

I don't understand why anybody would actually want to have surgery when it is not needed. When I was pregnant with Jacob it absolutley petrified me as I have to lift and carry Evan a lot due to his disability and having a c-sec would of made me no use to Evan and I would of had to have somebody with me for 6 weeks whilst I receovered. Luckily I gave birth naturally after being induced.

At tough economic times like these I am unsure why they have started saying women should have the choice on the NHS to have c-sec. A lot of celebs have them and some women may be swayed by that but it is by no means the easier option.

babyblog - I may be missing the point-but the article doesn't say c sections are safe than vaginal births, but they are safer than they used to be.

Quackquack99 - Sorry I really dislike the daily mail and do not believ anything they say

* I wasn't commenting on the article, I just posted the comment that was posted on the article which summed up what I was saying. While a c-sec wont be the choice of many moms ( which having a look on this forum confirms this ) it will be a help to moms who would like the choice.

I was told by midwives and a consultant saying that statistically elective c-secs are the safest. Maybe they were misinformed. However in terms of the baby alone it is the safest when looking at birthing injuries and potential loss of the baby due to complications. Its extremely rare for a study to be objective and include the risks of a vaginal delivery -cord wrapped around the neck, high risk of tears, blood loss, pelvic/tailbone damage,brachial plexus birth injury, incontinence, permanent nerve damage to clitoris, Pelvic Floor Dysfunction,cord prolapse, placental previa, nuchal limb presentation that could cause deep tissue tears, amniotic embolism and burst blood vessels.

-------

Missy86 - I dont think its a good idea, I had a c section with Rhys after 26 hours of labour and I hope with my next one I will be allowed to have a elective section cos I don't think I can give birth naturally but at least I have had that experience of labour.

How can a lady having her first say that a c section is better, she doesn't know.
My own personal view is first time mums shouldnt have the choice

* I was in full blown labour for 8hrs ( not that much compared to most :winkwink: ) I have experienced it as well. Yes, I am a first time mom, I have a severe form of tokophobia which is and was very prevalent in my life since the age of 11. ( going into labour was one of the most stressful times in my life, my body wouldn't have allowed me to proceed physically, mentally or emotionally - the midwives and consultant tried to examine me and believe me, it was not possible.) Had I not been able to have a c-sec, I would not have been able to have my son. I had counselling, I had therapy before I was even pregnant to try get over it and it didn't happen. To completely dismiss what someone may need or someones right to their own opinion isn't just unfair, its reckless. I also stated in my last post the choice should be made under a doctors supervision so the choice is sound for the patient and medically especially if its a first time mom.

----------

* Each to their own, hence why we have the choice to have our babies the way we want to...just because YOU may not agree with it, great, don't have it...but don't belittle someone elses choice or rights. That is what I am saying. I don't agree the full cost should be in the NHS like I have said - what I am "arguing" for is the choice.

xx

But you did experience labour, that's my point? Even with the problem you have and I think that's great

My problem is with the women who see famous people who are to posh to push and decide they are too

But you did experience labour, that's my point? Even with the problem you have and I think that's great

My problem is with the women who see famous people who are to posh to push and decide they are too

I agree, thats why the choice should be under a docs supervision. :thumbup:

Not just because they cant be bothered...

xx

I hope that if the nhs does start to do this they give pregnant women honest advice about c sections. It's not a walk in the park and I had a very good exprience apart from losing all feeling in my right foot for a few months after due to nerve damage when I had the spinal

I think its a great idea, I believe that all women should have the choice of how they want to give birth. I have had 2x emergency sections. The second time I was very much pressured into trying for a VBAC by my consultants and this pressure almost cost my son's life.

I think its a great idea, I believe that all women should have the choice of how they want to give birth. I have had 2x emergency sections. The second time I was very much pressured into trying for a VBAC by my consultants and this pressure almost cost my son's life.

In the US if you are within a year from last delivery they won't let you VBAC. I think within 2 years they still push for a repeat C. Not sure if your case was your MDs problem or an NHS protocol? However I have heard US has one of the highest c-section rates anywhere so probably not the best to look at stats from here!

How many medical staff are normally present with a standard delivery

How many medical staff are normally present with a standard delivery

In the Us? When I did my OB rotation for school there was one nurse, maybe two if another felt like coming in to help. When the patient is practically crowning they get the doc who has been sitting at the desk, he comes in, catches the baby, stitches as needed, afterbirth "helped" out and he is gone.there is also a nursery nurse present.

In the c-section there was doc, 2 nurses, 1 tech, anesthesia, and 2 nursery nurses. Pretty much the same in UK?

no it shouldn't be available to everyone, how ridiculous!
i had an emergency c-section after 12 and half hours of labour and dilating to 9cm my baby's heartbeat stopped because she got stuck but luckily she's okay but honestly no way would i chose it, its awful! for me that first night after having the c-section was even more painful then labour and the recovery after is terrible you can hardly move and can hardly pick your own baby up.

i'm hoping to go natural next time and no way would i pick to have a c-section again unless it was needed, it is major abdominal surgery and is in no way the easy way out :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->