C-section rights for everyone on NHS??

Well I had 2 docs, 1 theatre nurse, a midwife, someone doing the spinal and another nurse.

It seems like a look of people to be involved if its not needed

no it shouldn't be available to everyone, how ridiculous!
i had an emergency c-section after 12 and half hours of labour and dilating to 9cm my baby's heartbeat stopped because she got stuck but luckily she's okay but honestly no way would i chose it, its awful! for me that first night after having the c-section was even more painful then labour and the recovery after is terrible you can hardly move and can hardly pick your own baby up.

i'm hoping to go natural next time and no way would i pick to have a c-section again unless it was needed, it is major abdominal surgery and is in no way the easy way out :flower:

Exactly can you imagine if when that happened your emergency c-section was delayed because there was a lady already in theatre having an elective c-section, I'm sorry but the NHS just does not have the resources or the money for this to be an option!!!

My besties a midwife, just having the same convo with her about this. She said the amount of women petrified of giving birth she sees on a monthly basis is amazing, they always ask if the can go for the elective rather than a v birth!!

She obviously always tells them they're mental!!

When I had a section, I had 2 nurses, my midwife, the anaestetist stayed through, 2 peadiatrician, 2 people who cut and sowed me back and another to assist. So yeah there were quite a few people present. I'm 3 months pp and now I'm suffering severe neck pain from the spinal. It isn't a walk in the park and should be used for emergencies only. If people are handed elective c sections for no medical reason, our consultants and midwives will lose the skill on how to deliver naturally. Because of my c section it took 8 days for my milk to finally come through. I was physically and mentally withdrawn, struggled at the initial bond with my baby. Next time I will hopefully birth vaginally and breastfeed. It is an absolute joke that the option might be there

no it shouldn't be available to everyone, how ridiculous!
i had an emergency c-section after 12 and half hours of labour and dilating to 9cm my baby's heartbeat stopped because she got stuck but luckily she's okay but honestly no way would i chose it, its awful! for me that first night after having the c-section was even more painful then labour and the recovery after is terrible you can hardly move and can hardly pick your own baby up.

i'm hoping to go natural next time and no way would i pick to have a c-section again unless it was needed, it is major abdominal surgery and is in no way the easy way out :flower:

Exactly can you imagine if when that happened your emergency c-section was delayed because there was a lady already in theatre having an elective c-section, I'm sorry but the NHS just does not have the resources or the money for this to be an option!!!

exactly! :thumbup:
people shouldn't be able to chose there are far more people who need them as a genuine medical issue! the government are talking about making cuts, how is this going to be a cut :|

i say it should stick to being a private elective service where you pay for it i,e celebs, being scared of labour and giving birth is natural but honestly a c-section isn't an easy way out.

IMO c-sections are an emergency operation, if someone elects to have one then they should be prepared to pay for it. If c-sections are readily available the cost to the NHS will be staggering, I'd much rather see that money being used to emply more midwives and save maternity units under threat of closure.

Of course labour is scary and if there's a medical reason or risk to either mum or baby then a section is the best and safest way forward - but I'm sure there will be a lot of people putting themselves through a c-section for the wrong reasons

I agree although I dont yet have a child myself I think that they should tackle the reasons why women are soo scared of giving birth by providing better care. the money they save could be used to resolve he shortage of midwives and have more staff on hand, I would love to have one to one care during and after giving birth which at this point in time just wouldnt be possible.

Also i think programmes like one born every minute should show a more positive image rather than women screaming their heads off and staff running in between different rooms ...... but then that wouldnt make good tv would it??? :shrug:

I think if you want one for non medical reasons you should pay for it yourself.. We need to solve the issue of why so many women are so scared of doing something our bodys are made to do.

What happens for example when say 25% who would have a Section now turns into 50% then into 75% then almost 100% of women having Sections and we just forget how to do what nature intended?

I want to ensure I have a birthpool for my birth so I can have the birth I want, I have brought my birthpool I dont expect the NHS to buy it for me just because I would profer to give birth in water.. I know the costs are not the same however the principle is the same in that I want to give birth in water rather than on dry land.. Just as someone may prefer to be cut rather than push.. There is "no need" for me to give birth in water just as there is no need for someone to be cut unless for medical reasons :shrug:

I'm completely against it, by making it available to everyone they are underplaying the risks and enormity of the decision, c-section is a wonderful thing for those that have to have it for medical reasons/risk reasons and emergencies, its all about weighing risks :

risk of having c-section VS risk of not, in some cases a c-section is the safer option and thats fine but it should in no way be offered to everyone, IMO its so irresponsible to make a pregnancy more risky for convenience.

How many medical staff are normally present with a standard delivery

a standard no problem delivery I would assume just a midwife or two, the maternity ward was pretty chock-a-block when I gave birth, we were left alone for 70% of the time, I was only in labour for 3 hours there though, OH had to run around to get someone in as lo's heartbeat kept dropping we then ended up with lots of medical staff there and at one point they were threating us with c-section but luckily it don't come to it.

Hmm I have mixed feelings about this. I really don't believe that just because NICE are saying it should be offered that within 10 years everyone will have a C-Section and people won't give birth naturally. I just don't.

While I am all for women having choice, I don't know that at this time of fiscal restraint and financial constraint in the NHS this should be a priority. It fits for me alongside some of the cosmetic procedures/ gastic bands for all/and so on. Fine if there is surplus money but not while people are being denied drugs which could prolong life and in some cases even cure the diseases thet are suffering from.

However, when I was told I would have to give birth to my stillborn son I wanted a c-section. I was not allowed that option and had to give birth vaginally. There are many reasons for this but I have to say hand on heart that 3 years down the line I still wish I had been able to have a section rather than give birth 'naturally'.

I think they mean normal healthy pregnancies though thats what most of us are talking about in situaitons like that i think you should have a c-section but just being too posh to push really isnt a valid reason.

I'm gonna play devils advocate because you said that you doubt everyone will opt for c-sections but then in a way its like formula feeding (not saying theres anything wrong with it) but its seen as the easy option to a point where its now the norm and probably the majority of babies in the uk ar formula fed (dont quote me on this), so you cant guarentee that it wont be the same for c-secs.

Also the fact that you have one born by c-sec increases the risk for the next pregnancy so most will naturally opt for a c-sec again so the rate will naturally continue to rise till the next generation is having babies and then they may be put off by their mothers and follow suit so the cycle continues, a bit drastic but thats my opinion.

I had a simple, healthy pregnancy up until the very end. I don't know that there should really be any difference between me and someone else as I didn't get my birth choice, just as women who are refused a section are not getting theirs.

There is very big difference between FF and C-sections. No matter what happens, sections will always have 6ish week recovery period and that alone, I believe, will not make them become the favoured birth choice for all women.

I think aslong as the women choosing C-sections are fully informed about the con's then it's their decision x

No but like i said some women think its the 'easy' option and will automatically opt for it,then find out too late its not the cake walk they expected, then as they go on to have furhter children find that they have to have another c-sec.

Also not every woman heals the same, when they were debating this on The Wright Stuff a woman phoned in saying how she had her baby oone week and the following week she was able to do situps push ups and whatever else, so they will be the ones who make it sounf easy.

People always make decisions about easy choices and aren't always right. I don't think that is a reason to take away choice. I am not sure someone else, in an ideal world, should decide how you give birth no matter what that choice is. But as I said, at the moment I don't think this should be a NHS priority.

I think we can agree on that, the money should be spent on more staff instead.

Well, I think that it is a right actually, to choose the type of birth you want. It may not be what you choose, and I don't think a woman should ever have to explain her reasons, and I don't think it's fair to assume that a women is just lazy, is afraid, or doesn't want to push or stretch her privates. I think for some women, there is other issues and that is her right...just like a home birth. I don't understand why some women work up into a frenzy when another woman decides to choose a birth HER way. It isn't you...so don't worry about it. JMO

I would be okay with this if it weren't for the short staffing issue.
Also because NHS is public money... I don't think it's very fair.

I have no problem with those who choose elective c sections, their body and their birth. I'm not sure how I feel about t being funded through public $ though. I would personally never choose a c section but if for some reason I did want one I would expect it without judgement especially because I Pay an arm and an leg for my insurance. That being said is it fair to tell someone they don't deserve one just because they don't pay privately? I'm really not sure... I don't know too much about the nhs or difference in costs between c sections and vaginal deliveries. I would think the cost varies for vaginals deliveries though depending on length, medication, interventions and just general resources. I wonder if some vaginal could cost as much or more than a c section? Just a thought since the only the valid issue I see here is financial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->