• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

C-section scar

SoupDragon

Mum of 1, LTWTT #2
Reaction score
I asked this a few days ago in the c-section board but no-one has responded so thought I'd try in here (sorry admins if not allowed to do that).

I had my DD by emergency c-section nearly a year ago. The scar has mostly healed really neatly and in some areas you can barely see it. But in other bits it's still very red, raised, and SO itchy. It's quite tender in these areas still, especially if I wear tight-ish trousers (like normal jeans, I don't do super-tight!), during/after carrying DD in the sling, or if DD climbs on me. Anyone else experience any of this? Does it sound normal for so long after the operation?

I've had steroid injections into another scar (not c-section) before to flatten it when a similar thing happened, and it was so painful...I can't imagine having the same thing on my section scar. Is there anything else I can do to flatten it/ease the itch and tenderness a bit?

I had this the odd time before ds3 from ds2s section hun i think it can be pretty normal. I think you can get creams and gels that help scars heal but i cant remember the names of them xx

I've had 2 EMCS's. After my first one, the incision site got infected at 5 weeks PP and while it had been healing fine prior to that, it became purple and inflamed and bumpy and even after the infection was healed, it still looked like that. It also itched and was tender, and numb in some areas.

After my second EMCS (they cut into the same incision site) ironically it healed much better and the scar looks better than it did after my first CS.

So I think what you're describing could still be classified as "normal," although if you're worried it never hurts to ask your GP about it. A friend of mine is an ER doctor and she told me about a silicon gel that's supposed to help scars heal and look better (the brand I got on her recommendation is called "Dermatix") but I actually haven't tried it yet myself, but my friend swears by it.

Thanks, sounds like it's fairly normal then :)

Itsychik, funnily enough my incision also got infected, but that bit is one of the places that has healed nicely and is flat and turning silver! I will have a look for dermatix...all the scar patches I've seen are so expensive but if it helps it'd be worth it.

I'll be attempting vbac with #2, whenever that is, but good to know they use the same incision line for a second c-section, just in case I need an emcs again.

I've had 2 emergency c sections. By the time DD2 was born (3.5 years after DD1), the first c-section scar was completely flat and almost invisible. It did take a long time, though! At least 2 years, at a guess.

DD2 is now 10 months, and my scar sounds very similar to yours. The small area which for mildly infected has healed better than the rest so far, and the rest is still red and raised. It's often very itchy and annoying! It isn't tender or sore, though. I'm sure my scar will heal really well given enough time, just like the first one did

3 years on and my c section scar is still red and quite raised :shrug: It's always itched (more so now I'm pregnant) but I was told that was all normal. No idea when it'll lose the redness though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->