caffeine? Baby has had issues

thehippie777

Reaction score
I don't even know where to begin.

I'll summarize. Baby is a little over 8 weeks. At 3 weeks lactation consultant found tongue tie. Not doctor. Baby screamed almost constantly, lost weight from it. I'm not producing much milk. Added formula, acid reflux. Got meds and added probiotics. 5 weeks at the doctor every week :/

Baby stopped sleeping much at a time.

Yesterday I got a stomach bug and DH took care of baby. She screamed and fussed all day and night with him. I only got up to pump, until 2am. I swaddled babe and tried to calm her for an hour. She kept startling herself awake. DH was downstairs in the living room where he had had her in the swing to try to get her to sleep. I told him I tried, and he said that is fine and I put her down in the swing and her eyes closed right away. At six he came to bed and said she had slept from that time to a quarter to 5. He had put her down in her crib, but she started crying right away. I had to be up for work anyway, so I got up and fed her a little and got her asleep by 6:24. She let out a couple cries over the next hour but was out cold by the time i got to her. DH said she slept until 8:30.

I won't lie, I've been consuming sometimes 3 cups of coffee and tea lately. I do pump and then bottle feed. There is debate on if caffeine really does get to infants. Anyone notice a difference? I've officially cut down to hot chocolate only. I don't know what else could settle her. HELP!

Still need help! Stopping caffeine seems to have helped her jitteryness. Still has crying fits. I have to hold her close.

I had to really limit caffeine when DD was little, made her colic a lot worse. DS was not phased by it at all. If it bothers your LO, you will have to cut it out if you want to continue to pump. Babies metabolize caffeine much slower than adults so what your body rids itself of in 6 hours may take 24 hours for your baby.

Poor you. That sounds so hard, and very much how my little boy was. He was eventually diagnosed with acid reflux and given gaviscon which massively helped him. With you saying baby sleeps better in the swing it made me think of reflux (my midwife told me off for letting him sleep in the swing btw 😬 Isn't a safe sleep position apparently!). Probably a good idea to cut down/out the caffeine. Swaddling might also help making the baby feel secure. Sending hugs, those early days are so hard especially if you're having to work too.

Poor you. That sounds so hard, and very much how my little boy was. He was eventually diagnosed with acid reflux and given gaviscon which massively helped him. With you saying baby sleeps better in the swing it made me think of reflux (my midwife told me off for letting him sleep in the swing btw 😬 Isn't a safe sleep position apparently!). Probably a good idea to cut down/out the caffeine. Swaddling might also help making the baby feel secure. Sending hugs, those early days are so hard especially if you're having to work too.

Yep, I swaddle and had to convince DH to swaddle. He isn't as good as me :haha:

We have her on some reflux meds, and it seems her digestive system is maturing because her spit up has improved and so has her mood after she does spit up.

I have cut way down on caffeine and it seems babe is doing better, not perfect, but better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->