Caffiene and SIDS

Chel

Reaction score
I read this and I think I got a littl excited prematurely, but I was reading that they've found an association between small doses of Caffiene reducing the risk of SIDS in children considered to be 'high risk' for SIDS - 'high risk' includes possible 'near miss' babies like my Jasper (who stopped breathing in his bed for no reason, but fortunately he was sleeping in his bassinet in our room and I'd just checked on him while I was getting ready for bed and found in within minutes)

I found this information while researching the effects of caffiene on babies through breast milk - as I'm an asbolute coffee adict and I gave it up for the last 4months, but I've been drinking it lately!

The research is referring to very controlle doses given directly to the baby, but only a small amount of caffiene would pass through the breastmilk if I have a coffee...

.... BASICALLY.... do I have a good enough excuse to start drinking coffee again? *joking...mostly!*

Also, has anyone heard this also, or is it an internet myth?

I've heard something to do with that but I honestly didn't read too much of the article because I don't drink/eat a lot of things with caffine tho

I can see how that would be true... Children with asthma can be given coffee in an emergency because it has a steroidal effect on the circulatory system.

The downside, caffein can also potentially contribute to colic, the same way dairy can.

I've never heard this. Interesting though. x

I don't see why you can't start drinking coffee if you want. I've drunk tea throughout my pregnancies and breast feeding, it's not done any harm as far as I can tell.

I switched to caffeine free tea and cut out coffee altogether when Poppy started getting very windy. I have noticed an improvement in her since then so I've stuck with it. Don't know about the association with SIDS though, sorry.

when i was pregnant i drank caffeine free coffee but carried on drinking tea cos caffeine free was rank lol...i wonder if there is any truth in what u read, would be good if there was!! might buy some normal coffee again hehe

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abourne499
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->