California Rolls? (sushi & pregnancy)

ilvmylbug

Single Mom of 2 & Proud
Reaction score
I guess you guys know by the ticker in my signature that I have an unhealthy obsession with sushi :haha:

I've been DYING for that taste of wasabi and soy sauce on some sort of roll. I heard that California Rolls are all right, if the crab meat is cooked. Does anyone know if all restaurants cook the crab meat - like is it part of the recipe for it to be cooked? Or do some places leave it raw? (I've never had raw crab, so idk what it tastes like.)

Also, I've heard that it's not just the fish in the sushi, it's also the seaweed that is dangerous for the baby. Any truth to that? :shrug:

What are your thoughts on sushi and pregnancy?

Hey I didn't want to read and run. I've been craving sushi as well but I have done several google searches that advice against it. So I have been taking care of my craving by eating California Rolls.

i read that sushi is fine so long as it's not got raw fish in it, and that seaweed is fine and a good source of nutrients and stuff... i'm still eating a little sushi so long as it's well in it's use by date and doesn't have raw fish x

I forgot to add the california rolls I buy are fully cooked.

Nothing wrong with sushi actually ...

Just check the raw fish has been frozen.

x

There is a very small chance that there is a small parasite worm thingy in raw fish which is killed by either cooking or freezing. That's the science behind it.

x

My OH is very nervous about seafood and my pregnancy, thanks to a quack at my OBGYN who said to avoid ALL fish, whether it's cooked or not. Argh!

Hopefully my new OB says California Rolls are OK. :)

My OH is very nervous about seafood and my pregnancy, thanks to a quack at my OBGYN who said to avoid ALL fish, whether it's cooked or not. Argh!

Hopefully my new OB says California Rolls are OK. :)

whoa no way dont avoid all fish your supposed to have some fish for a good balanced diet! x

Most resturants will freeze the raw fish to proper standards and therefore you CAN actually eat sushi!!

I'd be damned if I had to give it up :winkwink:

I have had vegetarian rolls a few times. Mmmm soya sauce on them!!!

Veggie sushi is fine if your not wanting to have meat in it. . . me and OH went to Yo! Sushi, you have no idea how much i enjoyed it x

The crabmeat used in sushi rolls is cooked and is not actually crab. It's made from fish. No worries, california rolls is how I get my sushi fix every week.

Technically raw fish should be safe if it is frozen and according to US regulations all sushi in the states is flash frozen. But I haven't been willing to chance it. I hear women in Japan continue to eat sushi through their pregnancy.

I asked my doctor about fish in general at my last appointment and she said that no sushi, and cooked salmon and trout were ok, but to stay alway from any kind of shell fish, tuna, shrimp all of that is not good to have cause has higher content of mercury.

I love my California Rolls, I have been eating them loads :happydance: nothing wrong with them.

What about the iodine in the seaweed?? Is that all right to have??

Well I asked my doctor if I can eat sushi and he said no except California rolls. I got all excited and said "really?!!!" he asked if it had any sea animal meat in it and I said crab and he said no then. My sister is pregnant too and she has been eating it, it's done no harm to her or baby. I personally would just rather not go against doctors orders.

when a Google eating seaweed in pregnancy, I get lots of sites that in fact go on to say that seaweed is good for you in pregnancy. so I'm just going to go with that :thumbup: I don't need anymore things I can't eat lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->