• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Calling all Agnostic/Atheist Mommas

Reaction score
How are you planning on raising your child religion wise? I identify more towards agnostic, but was raised Catholic. I was pushed into catholic schools and going to church every Sunday, I believe this is one reason I am turned off of religion, among many other personal reasons. However, I don't particularly want to raise Eli agnostic, I would like to introduce him to different religions and have him chose his own beliefs. I'm not really sure how to go about this when I don't have any religious affiliations beside Catholicism :shrug: What do you ladies plan on doing? Are you going to raise them with your beliefs or keep an open mind?

Just curious really :flower:

Pretty much everyone I know is atheist (New Zealand is the least religious country in the world, I think) so it's not even something I really worry about. I plan to teach him what the various religions are/believe but I will be extremely clear that we believe in science, and that there is no God.

If the school he attends has a Bible in Schools programme, I will exempt him from it.

We are both atheist, most of my family and friends are also non religious so religion doesn't have much baring on our lives at all (UK based so most people here are non religious) I plan on raising my girls with the knowledge of different religions but we won't be pushing anything on them. What they choose to believe is up to them. However, saying that, it's extremely difficult to discuss religion and not put across own opinions. I feel like I would like my kids to be allowed choice in what they believe but the likelihood they will be atheists.

What larkspur said.

There is a really good catholic school down the road, I was considering it for the kids, but don't want to send them somewhere that tells (what we consider) to be fairy tales. Lots of non-catholics go there, the neighbours daughter does and she likes it and they are non-religious. But...I dunno! I've never even been in a church before, I'd be nervous to send them there.

What larkspur said.

There is a really good catholic school down the road, I was considering it for the kids, but don't want to send them somewhere that tells (what we consider) to be fairy tales. Lots of non-catholics go there, the neighbours daughter does and she likes it and they are non-religious. But...I dunno! I've never even been in a church before, I'd be nervous to send them there.

Catholics are very strongly opinionated, and like most religions, they are the best one out there! I'd be hesitant about sending Eli to a catholic school..l despised it as a child and wouldn't want my son raised like that. The one positive about catholic schools is usually they teach at a more advanced level, so your child will have a step up.

I'm going to tell her about religion and about the fact that people believe in different things and different gods, but mummy and daddy don't believe that any god exists, we will tell her that it's not silly to believe and she can choose to believe what she likes and we will support her in her choices.

Her nan is very religious (catholic) and tells her about the bible, and I generally say "well that's a nice story nanny, and some people believe it is true" rather than reinforce the way that she says it as fact that willow has to believe. If that makes any sense.

Unfortunately every single primary school around us is CoE and have quite a lot of "religious education" which only involves Christianity, I think when she's old enough to understand I will try and put other religions and their beliefs into general conversation.

I'm atheist but not opposed to religion as long as its not rammed down my..and therefore my children's throats.

I consider myself an anti-theist and my partner is a scientist. With that in mind, I hope to give my LO an education in scientific fact, and would expect her to reject a lot of biblical teachings herself because of this. If she chose to opt out of religious assemblies and etc at school, I would be more than happy for her to do this.

I'd be happy for her to study the Bible as a work of literature but would not be at all happy if school were to present the 'teachings' of the book as fact nor if she were to believe in creationism etc. I do not consider this as 'imposing my views' upon her, but rather as being responsible in sharing truth, science, history and teaching her to make her own moral code.

I'm going to tell her about religion and about the fact that people believe in different things and different gods, but mummy and daddy don't believe that any god exists, we will tell her that it's not silly to believe and she can choose to believe what she likes and we will support her in her choices.

Her nan is very religious (catholic) and tells her about the bible, and I generally say "well that's a nice story nanny, and some people believe it is true" rather than reinforce the way that she says it as fact that willow has to believe. If that makes any sense.

Unfortunately every single primary school around us is CoE and have quite a lot of "religious education" which only involves Christianity, I think when she's old enough to understand I will try and put other religions and their beliefs into general conversation.

I'm atheist but not opposed to religion as long as its not rammed down my..and therefore my children's throats.

I like your explanation. I feel like both mine and OHs parents will try and force religion on him as they are both strong in their beliefs. Like you, I have no problem with him learning about different religions but I don't want it forced upon him.

Im not really going to bring him up with a religion. They teach religious education in schools and when hes old enough to make up his own mind and knows all the facts about each religion then its up to him to decide what he wants to believe! I'll support whatever he believes! :) Im an atheist btw i have been since i was about 14 even tho my family are Christians (they dont have a problem with my beliefs or lack of them!) It just didnt/doesnt make any sense to me! :)

What larkspur said.

Catholics are very strongly opinionated, and like most religions, they are the best one out there! I'd be hesitant about sending Eli to a catholic school..l despised it as a child and wouldn't want my son raised like that. The one positive about catholic schools is usually they teach at a more advanced level, so your child will have a step up.
I'm in a city where there is plenty of choice so certainly at primary school level I would not send my child to a religious school, and I'd be extremely dubious at secondary level. Kids are still pretty easily influenced at that age and I know it's politic to say that you will accept whatever your child chooses to believe, but I will do my darnedest to ensure that my child/ren grow up with a comprehensive understanding of the failings of religious belief.

My brother went to a Catholic private secondary school and I remember RE classes were part of the curriculum and students AND parents were required to attend chapel twice a term and mass twice a year. I couldn't in good conscience agree to that.

They don't really teach religion in schools here. Touch it slightly in history classes but nothing in depth. There was a big thing over here not to long ago over the pledge of allegiance (said in schools every morning) because it stated "on nation under god"

What larkspur said.

I'm in a city where there is plenty of choice so certainly at primary school level I would not send my child to a religious school, and I'd be extremely dubious at secondary level. Kids are still pretty easily influenced at that age and I know it's politic to say that you will accept whatever your child chooses to believe, but I will do my darnedest to ensure that my child/ren grow up with a comprehensive understanding of the failings of religious belief.

My brother went to a Catholic private secondary school and I remember RE classes were part of the curriculum and students AND parents were required to attend chapel twice a term and mass twice a year. I couldn't in good conscience agree to that.

I don't remember my parents being required to go, but we had to go to church every Friday with the school, then my dad would make me go every Sunday with him. They also had a religion class that was required for all to take. Which basically was all about how Catholicism was the best way to go :dohh:

Im just going to wait until she asks me about it (although to be honest i wouldnt want her to have any particularly strong opinion on it herself because religion is not something that has ever been part of our lives and whether right or wrong i wouldnt want it to be a big part of hers either. )

This is an interesting question actually, and not one I'd thought too much about. I'm completely areligious, having never been christened or similar, yet I can recite the Lord's Prayer because I used to have to recite it like some kind of Hoodoo spell every morning in school assembly at primary school.

I don't want J to have that. If I have to pull him out of school assemblies, then so be it.

But I do want him to be aware of what religion is, and the different flavours it comes in because aside from anything religion has such a large impact on world culture I think it's critical to him being able to respect and understand other people's way of life. And if, after making the effort to understand a religion, he choses to practice that religion then of course I will support him.

But when he asks "what is god?" and "is there a heaven?" the answers are going to be what I think/believe, and why I think/believe these things. I'll invite discussion ("what do you think god is, what have you heard about heaven") and I'll also do my best to make him see that there are as many different answers to those questions as there are people on the planet.

I also, and this is crucial for me and the way I want to bring J up, will emphasise that just because someone has a different opinion to him, doesn't mean that they're not worthy of his respect. I don't want him thinking that just because someone believes in the existence of a god, it doesn't mean that they're an idiot or less of a person.

As for schooling... life at the moment is pretty uncertain as to where I'll be in 5 years time so I haven't bothered looking at schools. But any religion-affliated school will probably be avoided unless it's got a good education record.

I'm atheist. DH doesn't know what he believes. We will be teaching our kids that religion exists in the same way I'm going to teach them that conmen exist-- be aware that there are crazy people out there and don't get sucked in.

I believe that no one has a clue wheatear there is a god or not... I wouldn't say I'm atheist.. But I'm not religious... I have no idea weather there is or there isn't a god ... But I don't believe in the teachings of religion in that u must worship a god if there is one.

I will be telling lo what I believe and letting him make
His own choices...

I went to a catholic school (due to being ahead education wise) and we had religion lessons and mass once a week and prayer every morning.
Tbh those times were used for us to muck about... No one reli cared... And that was at an all girls school. I'd imagine a boys one would be worse lol.

If lo is advanced and I want to further him ill definitely be paying for a private school (which are all religious here) as u think he will be art enough to work out the mud from clay.

How many teenage boys do u know that care deeply about religion? Lol I think he'll be too busy chasing girls tbh

I would say I'm more agnostic than atheist, and OH is more atheist than agnostic. We will raise our children that we are uncertain about higher powers but they are free to explore such options if they wish.

If my son wants to believe in a religion, I'm not going to dissuade him or be disappointed. I think it takes courage to believe in something you can't see, and I wouldn't shame him for that.

A person's faith is a personal thing. If either of my children become spiritual, it's none of my business to say else.

They are not christened as I am atheist although I was raised catholic. So they dont have a religion. They will go to a catholic school as we have no choice in our area unless we home school but are exempt from religion and sarcriments etc I wouldnt raise my children with things I dont believe or practise in. Its difficult enough it gets in the education system here. Should later on they choose whatever to believe in as they will be taught anyway about all religions thats fine by me. They at least have that choice and I will accept unlike my own family.

We're atheist and that can be very difficult in Ireland as despite the fact that very few people here actually practice a religion the Catholic church is heavily embedded into most state institutions and as such 92% of all schools and all but 1 (not 1% just 1) secondary schools are faith schools, mainly Catholic. It's very, very difficult to get a school place for your child if you can't produce a Catholic baptismal cert, which means that most children are baptised Catholic even though huge amounts of their parents couldn't care less about Catholicism. Even the non-specific-faith schools must be multi-denominational and have to dedicate a pretty large amount of their weekly lesson time to religious studies, though it's of the 'this is what some people believe' type of lesson rather than 'the bible/pope says X therefore it's true' type. My son has been on the register for the nearest multi-dom school since before he was 6mo and where he is on the list means that if 9 or more siblings of current pupils or children of faculty want a place that year he is out of luck. If he doesn't get accepted there, tbh, I'd home school him before I'd send him to a faith school.

I'm happy for him to learn all about different religions and will start reading him all sorts of myths and legends (I include bible stories in this) as he gets a little older. And he'll learn more about the specifics of different modern day belief systems as we go on. We'll also spend lots of time on science and I plan on encouraging him to be a critical thinker as he grows up and I do hope he doesn't grow up to be a religious adult.

Atheist here, but will be very open minded in teachings. My sisters are Christian and all his cousins will be brought up as so, so I don't want to teach him they are 'wrong', just different. I will let him take part in religious education at school. Think it'd important he gets a view of all cultures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->