Calling all Canadians....

bump#1

Reaction score
:hi: Hello

I'm in need of some advice from you lovely Canadians. My OH and I are currently in the process of applying for a visa to live in Canada. We would like to live in ontario inparticular Orillia.

However we have zero idea as to where to start looking :shrug:

So ladies (and Gents) Where is nice to live? Is there anywhere you would recommend and more importantly what areas are best to avoid?

We have a 8mth old - he should be about 18mths by the time we move. We're after somewhere with a large community and good schools as well as things to do and places to see, but we would like to avoid the hussle and bussle of very busy areas such as the heart of a city - hope that makes sense :D

Feel free to ask me more questions if im not making much sense.

Thankyou!

If you like Ontario, you could try Huron County: beautiful farming area on Lake Huron. Lots of lovely small communities, about 1 hour from London, and 3 hours from Toronto.
Western Canada is pretty spectacular, too! :)

Hello, and congrats on your decision to live in Canada!

I've lived in Ontario for many a year. Orillia area is nice, I have only ever passed through though. I imagine there would be many great resources for you there. It's located fairly close to the Greater Toronto Area, but is also smaller and quieter. The winters will be fairly cold and snowy, but not nearly as bad as if you were in Thunder Bay, Ontario or somewhere up farther north (lived there for 4-5 years). I also lived in Sudbury, which is maybe 4-5 hours from Orillia. Currently I'm about 20 minutes outside London, Ontario. Around here our winters are much milder, but the job market is not so ideal.

The Wikipedia page has a lot of info you might find useful:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orillia

So, where to live? I'd say towns of 150,000 or less. I do recommend living in Ontario, but I'm biased as I've lived here for years :) I'm actually from Newfoundland though, and I've lived in Alberta as well. And I've just always been happiest here.
Where not to live? If you're new to Canada, the GTA might be a bit overwhelming for you! And if you're not used to really cold winters, avoid anything farther north then Sault Saint Marie if you're going to live in Ontario!

I don't know if I've been of much help, really! I love towns like Orillia. They are big enough where you get every service you need, but without the craziness of a city like Toronto.

Good luck! I love Canada and I'm sure you will, too!

My knowledge of Ontario is very limited but if I were to pick a part to live in I'd probably have to go with Stratford ON. Beautiful area there... :)

I live in the north, Sudbury to be exact. I love the small towns in Ontario it's not so busy but always so much to do especially if you enjoy the outdoors. The winters can be long and cold here though, altho this year has been nice. So it really depends on what you like I'm sure whatever you choose will be lovely good luck.

Aww Tilliepink, I miss Sudbury, I moved from there this time last year :)

Thankyou ladies for your help.

I'm not good with the cold :lol: but OH assures that as it's inevitable we'll be better prepared for it, unlike in England when its sunny one day and a blizzard the next. At least you get proper seasons :)

Sudbury has popped up a few times, may look into that. Gosh its hard work, but it will be totally worth it in the end.

Just surround as to why your thinking of moving to Canada?

I have never been to Ontario...I live in British Columbia (westcoast). Good luck to you!!! :)

I have never been to Ontario...I live in British Columbia (westcoast). Good luck to you!!! :)

BC'er here too :) Why on earth anyone who doesn't like cold would pick Ontario of all provinces is beyond me but oh well :D Hehe :)

BC'er here too :) Why on earth anyone who doesn't like cold would pick Ontario of all provinces is beyond me but oh well :D Hehe :)

THE PRICE!!!

I love BC, born & bred BC girl (originally from the Fraser Valley), I love it & miss it very much but it's just much more affordable out here back east...

I still get disoriented when driving every now & then because I have no mountains to guide me :nope:

OP I would still recommend exploring BC as well, it truly is beautiful.

I live in Quebec now and I love it very very much but if you aren't fluent in French you can't work here. However it's easy to live on one income and daycare is $7/day regardless of income. Social programs are amazing.

THE PRICE!!!

I love BC, born & bred BC girl (originally from the Fraser Valley), I love it & miss it very much but it's just much more affordable out here back east...

I still get disoriented when driving every now & then because I have no mountains to guide me :nope:

OP I would still recommend exploring BC as well, it truly is beautiful.

I live in Quebec now and I love it very very much but if you aren't fluent in French you can't work here. However it's easy to live on one income and daycare is $7/day regardless of income. Social programs are amazing.

See from BC to Quebec, for the social programs and DAYCARE alone ...THAT makes worlds of sense.

I don't know that I fully understand the 'price' thing all the time, I love watching HGTV and what I've concluded is that I couldn't afford to rent a cardboard box in an alleyway in the Greater Toronto area LOL And they think we're expensive, phew!

Yeah, Toronto is worse in the immediate downtown but Montreal is just nuts, it's just as lively of a city (if not moreso), I have a 5 bedroom house with a giant garage, pool, hot tub, yard, on an island in town .. for $265k, 25 minutes from downtown. To give perspective, it's like the equivalent of Coquitlam or say Saanich to Victoria... which would be $$$$.

Toronto... blegh. But I'm heading to Ottawa soon I've heard it's lovely

Wow...good price for usch a big home!!! Now I just need to good jobs and I am sold!!! LOL!

BC is a nice place to live.. avoid alberta (i used to live there) it is pretty well expensive.. but does have lots of job oportunities.. Ontario is nice to ive never been but herd lots of wonderful thinks about it.. and i wouldnt move to sask either.. Manitioba (winnipeg) is nice!

Winterpeg Manisnowba. lmao! NWT is nice to visit. Stunning actually. Don't stay though. lol..just visit. It's beautiful but fk'n cold.

Winterpeg Manisnowba. lmao! NWT is nice to visit. Stunning actually. Don't stay though. lol..just visit. It's beautiful but fk'n cold.

My girlfriend teaches in NWT and her rent for a 1 bedroom is around $1400 a month!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->