Calling all mums - please help !! Take 2

tiggy748

Reaction score
Thank you so mauch for your help with my previous thread, as you have been so wonderfull I thought id push my luck and expand the questions to get a greater depth to the answers!

Psychology Of Birth

I am a student midwife exploreing the standard of antenatal care and education for my research project.
Your answers will remain confidential and will be destroyed once the data has been gathered.

Any qusetions - or if you would prefer your details to remain private please feel free to email your repsonces to: [email protected]

Thank you.

Q1. What year was your first child born in?
 Prior to 1994 (Thank you for your time, this is the end of the questionnaire)
 1994 to current date (please move to Q2.)

Q2. Did the maternity care and birth for your first child take place in the UK?
 Yes (Please move to Q3.)
 No (Thank you for your time, this is the end of the questionnaire)

Please answer all of the following questions based on your first pregnancy and birth ONLY.

Q3. How old were you when gave birth to your first child?

19 yrs and under 20 yrs and over

Q4. Did you want a ...

Homebirth Hospital birth Birthing Centre
Other (Please state) ……...................................……………...………

Q5. Did you feel that you were able to make the decision about the birth you wanted with guidance and support from your midwife?
 Yes  No Other (Please state) ………………………….………

Q6. Did you give birth at …

Home Hospital Birthing Centre
Other (Please state) …………………………..............................................................................................…..

Q7. What type of delivery did you plan?

Spontaneous vaginal Induced vaginal Caesarean Section

Q8. Did you feel that you were able to make the decision about the type delivery with guidance and support from your midwife?
 Yes  No Other (Please state) ……………………………...……

Q9. What type of delivery did you have?

Spontaneous vaginal Induced vaginal Caesarean Section Ventous Forceps

Q10. What type of pain relief did you plan? (Please choose as many as is applicable)
Aromatherapy Hypnosis / Meditation Tens Natural – no pain relief AT ALL
 Gas and air only  Pethidine Epidural
Other (please state)……………….......

Q11. Did you feel that you were able to make the decision about the type of pain relief you wanted, with guidance and support from your midwife?
 Yes  No Other (Please state)……………...……………………

Q12. What type of pain relief did you have? (Please choose as many as is applicable)
Gas and air only  Pethidine Epidural
Other (please state.…………………

Q13. What type of pre natal care did you choose?

NHS standard midwifery care
NHS standard midwifery care PLUS Doula
NHS standard midwifery care PLUS Independent midwife
NHS standard midwifery care PLUS attendance at workshops, conferences or other independent investigation
Independent Midwife only
None of the above (Please state your choice) …….........................………………………………………………

Q14. What type of childbirth education (sometimes called parent craft classes) did you choose?
No childbirth classes, information gained through Midwife or doula only
NHS standard midwifery led childbirth classes
 National Childbirth Trust (NCT) led childbirth classes
NHS standard midwifery led childbirth classes PLUS National Childbirth Trust (NCT) led childbirth classes
Independent childbirth classes
Workshops, conferences etc
Word of mouth / advice from friend / mother
None of the above (Please state your choice) ………….........................…………………………………………

Q15. Did you read childbirth, pregnancy or child care publications prior to, or during your pregnancy?
No Books  Magazines Other (please state) ……………………….......................……

Q16. Why?
I had questions my midwife couldn’t answer / didn’t have time to answer
I had questions I didn’t feel able to ask anyone
I wanted to know about the pregnancy in greater detail than what I was given
I wanted information on alternative birthing and pain methods
I wanted information about how to care for the baby
I wanted information on breastfeeding
 Other (please state) …………………………………………………………...

Q17. Was your community midwifery care (care gained at home or at your doctors surgery) carried out by the same midwife all the way through your pregnancy?
 Yes (please go to Q17)  Occasionally saw one other midwife due to sickness, holidays etc.
 No, cared for by a several midwifes.

Q18. Did you mind having more than one community midwife caring for you?
 Yes  No

Q19. Did you feel that that care you received during your pregnancy gave you confidence about any worries or fear you may have had about your pregnancy?
 Yes  No
 Occasionally (please give details where you didn’t feel this was the case)
……………………….....................................................…………………………………..………………………

Q20. Did you feel that that care you received from the midwife / midwives allowed you to feel confident about your birth?
 Yes  No

Q21. Please add any comments regarding your care, your pregnancy and birth you feel is relevant.
………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Thank you very much for taking the time to fill in the questionnaire.

 Yes

Please answer all of the following questions based on your first pregnancy and birth ONLY.

Q4. Did you want a ...

Hospital birth

Q5. Did you feel that you were able to make the decision about the birth you wanted with guidance and support from your midwife?
 Yes

Hospital

Spontaneous vaginal

Q8. Did you feel that you were able to make the decision about the type delivery with guidance and support from your midwife?
 Yes

Spontaneous vaginal

Q10. What type of pain relief did you plan? (Please choose as many as is applicable)

Gas and air only

Q11. Did you feel that you were able to make the decision about the type of pain relief you wanted, with guidance and support from your midwife?
 Yes
Q12. What type of pain relief did you have? (Please choose as many as is applicable)
Gas and air only



Q14. What type of childbirth education (sometimes called parent craft classes) did you choose?

Q15. Did you read childbirth, pregnancy or child care publications prior to, or during your pregnancy?
Books  Magazines

Q16. Why?

Q17. Was your community midwifery care (care gained at home or at your doctors surgery) carried out by the same midwife all the way through your pregnancy?
 Occasionally saw one other midwife due to sickness, holidays etc.

 No

Q19. Did you feel that that care you received during your pregnancy gave you confidence about any worries or fear you may have had about your pregnancy?
 Yes


Q20. Did you feel that that care you received from the midwife / midwives allowed you to feel confident about your birth?
 Yes

19 yrs and under

Q4. Did you want a ...

Birthing Centre

 Yes

Birthing Centre

Spontaneous vaginal

 Yes

Spontaneous vaginal

 Gas and air
Other (please state)………………....... Birthing Pool

 Yes

Gas and air only
Other (please state.…………Birthing Pool………

Books  Magazines

Q16. Why?

 Yes

 Yes

 Yes

Q21. Please add any comments regarding your care, your pregnancy and birth you feel is relevant.
………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Q1. What year was your first child born in? 2009

Q4. Did you want a ...

HOSPITAL

No, it was immediateley assumed we would go to a hospital - and not even the one we wanted

Other (Please state) ………………………….......................................................................................... ....…..

NO, SHE WAS ALMOST 13 WEEKS PREM SO I HAD TO GO WITH THE FLOW.

NO, IT WAS NEVER DISCUSSED IN TIME

NHS standard midwifery care PLUS attendance at workshops, conferences or other independent investigation
None of the above (Please state your choice) …….........................………………………………………………

NHS standard midwifery led childbirth classes PLUS National Childbirth Trust (NCT) led childbirth classes
None of the above (Please state your choice) ………….........................…………………………………………
NONE - NONE WAS AVAILABLE BEFORE HAD MY BABY!

No Books  Magazines Other (please state) ……………………….......................……

Q16. Why?

 Yes (please go to Q17)  Occasionally saw one other midwife due to sickness, holidays etc.
 No, cared for by a several midwifes. BECAUSE THEY WERE ALWAYS ON HOLIDAY

 Yes  No

 Yes  No
……………………….....................................................…………………………………..………………………

 Yes  No

BIRTH PLANS INFORMATION AND ADVICE ETC SHOULD BE GIVEN BEFORE 24 WEEKS - ANYONE CAN HAVE A BABY AFTER THAT POINT, SO WHY SHOULD WE HAVE TO WAIT TIL NEARER 'FULL TERM?'

Yes

Q4. Did you want a ...
Hospital birth

No

Hospital

spontaneous vaginal

No

Induced vaginal

Gas and Air Only

No

Gas and air only & Pethidine

NHS standard midwifery care

NHS standard midwifery led childbirth classes

Books

Q16. Why?
I wanted to know about the pregnancy in greater detail than what I was given

No, cared for by a several midwifes.

Yes

No

No

I hated my experience with the community midwives, they were uncaring and often brushed my worries to one side. Even after threatened pre term labour and seeing the community midwife manager for my care (never a consultant like I was told I would) I was very disappointed. As for my actual birth the midwives who delivered my son were fantastic, but my previous experience has not given me much hope for my care in this pregnancy and so far my concerns about lack of care and my current midwife not doing as expected (ie booking my scan appointment, providing me with the right forms and contact numbers) have been confirmed as she has not done as I expected

yes

20 yrs and over

Q4. Did you want a ...

Hospital birth

No

Hospital

Spontaneous vaginal

 Yes

Induced vaginal

whatever was needed

No - it wasn't mentioned at all!

Gas and air only

Books  Magazines Other (please state) …internet…………………….......................……

Q16. Why?
 Other (please state) all of the above…………………………………………………………...

 Yes
 Yes  No

 No
Q20 Did you feel that that care you received from the midwife / midwives allowed you to feel confident about your birth?
 No

The care I received during my pregnancy was abosolutely dreadful, my midwife nearly killed me as she didnt follow up my glucose test results, she didnt receive them back and instead of chase them she just assumed they were ok, on a check up 6 weeks later I asked her to find out for my own peace of mind, she phoned the hospital and I was rush straight in with a result of over 10!
When my waters broke at 38 weeks i went to get checked and was told I was being silly my waters hadnt gone there was nothing there, I was left all weekend and 4 days later it was admitted my waters had gone all that time ago.
During labour my blood pressure rocketted, nobody spoke to me at all about it, i only knew I was in trouble when a senior midwife came in and whispered to the midwife, 'get her ready for epidural, she'll need a section (I didnt!) during labour and delivery nobody soke to me at all, when i said I wanted to push the midwife put her nose over the top of her magazine and said, 'go on then if you want' and carried on reading.
Next time round I will be 100% on my own, I will feel safer!

Yes

Q4. Did you want a ...
Hospital Birth.

Yes

Hospital

Spontaneous vaginal

Yes

Spontaneous vaginal

Tens, Gas and air only, Pethidine

Yes

Tens, Gas and air only

No childbirth classes, information gained through Midwife

Books

Q16. Why?
I had questions I didn’t feel able to ask anyone

No, cared for by a several midwifes.

Yes

Yes

No

………………………………………………………

Yes

Q4. Did you want a ...

Birthing Centre

Yes

Hospital

Induced vaginal

Yes

Caesarean Section

 Gas and air only

yes

Gas and air and Epidural

 National Childbirth Trust DVD

Books

Q16. Why?

 No, cared for by a several midwifes due to the babys talipies

No

Yes

Yes

yes

19 yrs and under

Q4. Did you want a ...
Hospital birth

Yes

Hospital

Spontaneous vaginal

Yes

Spontaneous vaginal

Gas and air only

Yes

gas n air

None of the above - my mw didnt book me in n buy they time the next lot was it was 2 days b4 due date!

Books  Magazines

Q16. Why?
just wanted to be on the ball

 Yes

?????????

 Yes

my mw was brill, loved her to bits made me feel at ease, went 2 see a specialist about my hips who was awful! sent me for an emergency scan and didnt explain why! the ambulance service who took me in was great and the mw's on duty didnt know anything but the head was crowning! they was all brill couldnt praise them enough

 1994 to current date 2009

19 yrs and under

Q4. Did you want a ...
Other (Please state) Home from Home Unit like Birthing Centre

 Yes

Other (Please state)
Hospital but the Home from Home Unit was at the Hospital as well

Spontaneous vaginal

 Yes

Ventous

 Gas and air only
Other (please state) Water

 Yes

Gas and air  Pethidine
Other (please state) Remifentil (sp)

Books  Magazines

Q16. Why?

 Yes Sounds really selfish :blush: But the one midwife you seen all the time knew you, knew all about you etc whereas another one didnt know anything etc

 Yes  No
Sometimes felt that a lot of worries and fears were brushed aside

 Yes

During labour I went from Home from Home Unit to Labour Ward back to Home from Home then up to the Delivery Suite. My worst part of that was the delivery suite. The person there was horrible and impatient. She wouldn't answer half the questions I asked. Wouldn't answer me when I panicked that I thought something was wrong. All I know is that I ended up with a pile of drips in my arms,Pushed for over 4 hours, had an episiotomy and stitches and tore and no one really explained any of it. My mum told me that she had to tell the midwife that if they gave me an epidural I would take it further because I stated numerous times that I did not want an epidural and this midwife told my mum they would give me one. She was not a nice person very impatient, tired and cranky and overheard the doctor telling her she started me pushing far too early. All in all I think its traumitised me from saying I will have 2 or 3 Children to I will never have another one in my life which still stands.

yes

21 years old

Q4. Did you want a ...

Wanted a home birth but not an option in the trust i live under

To a certain extent, yes.

Hospital

Spontaneous vaginal

Yes, my midwife was brilliant!

Spontaneous vaginal

None at all - i wanted a completely natural birth, i wanted complete control of my mind, my body and my delivery.

Yes, but they did try to get me to have pethodine and gas and air and i declined as i didn't need it.

Nothing! Not even paracetamol!

The pregnancy book given to me by my local trust

Q16. Why?
My own knowledge

No, when living in one town under one surgery i saw my allocated midwife once out of about 10 appointments which made it really difficult as the midwife would always ask me things i'd already been asked at the previous appointment.
I moved when i was 30+ weeks and the midwife at the new surgery was always the same one and she was brill!

yes because they would all ask me repetative questions and we didnt get anywhere fast!

yes, what they didnt tell me i asked about for myself.

 Yes 

The midwife that delivered my son was a student and she did a fab job! her manner and relaxed attitude allowed me to have the birth i wanted!

yes

Q4. Did you want a ...

wanted a hospital burth but had home birth as i didn't have time to get there

yes

home

Spontaneous vaginal

yes

Spontaneous vaginal

gas and air

yes

none

just parentcraft

pregnany/baby book

Q16. Why?

no, several

no

yes

yes

20 yrs and over

Q4. Did you want a ...

Homebirth

 Yes

Hospital

Spontaneous vaginal

 Yes

 Caesarean Section

Tens
 Gas and air only

 Yes

Tens
Gas and air only
Other (please state. spinal



Books  Magazines

Q16. Why?

 Other (please state) just out of interest

 No

 Yes

 Yes

Q1. What year was your first child born in? )

19 yrs and under

Q4. Did you want a ...
Hospital birth

 Yes

Hospital

Spontaneous vaginal

 Yes

Induced vaginal

 Gas and air only

 Yes

Books  Magazines

Q16. Why?
I wanted to know about the pregnancy in greater detail than what I was given

 No

 Yes

 Yes

:flower:

19 yrs and under 20 yrs and over

Q4. Did you want a ...

Other (Please state) …………………………..............................................................................................…..

No Books  Magazines Other (please state) Internet

Q16. Why?
I wanted to know about the pregnancy in greater detail than what I was givenI wanted information on alternative birthing and pain methods
 Other (please state) I wanted to read about other mothers' experiences of birth and the pain relief they chose

 Yes  No

 Yes  No

 Yes  No

I had a good experience with my pre-natal care and birth, even though the birth was not as I planned, I felt I was prepared for it based on the information provided at my antenatal classes
:flower:

X 1994 to current date (please move to Q2.)

X Yes (Please move to Q3.)

19 yrs and under X 20 yrs and over

Q4. Did you want a ...

Homebirth X Hospital birth Birthing Centre

 Yes X No Other (Please state) ………………………….………

Home X Hospital Birthing Centre
Other (Please state) ………………………….......................................................................................... ....…..

Spontaneous vaginal X Induced vaginal X Caesarean Section

 Yes  No X Other (Please state) ……………………………...……

Spontaneous vaginal X Induced vaginal X Caesarean Section Ventous Forceps

Aromatherapy Hypnosis / Meditation X Tens Natural – no pain relief AT ALL
X Gas and air only  Pethidine Epidural

 Yes X No Other (Please state)……………...……………………

X Gas and air only  Pethidine X Epidural

X NHS standard midwifery care

X No childbirth classes, information gained through Midwife or doula only

No X Books X Magazines Other (please state) ……………………….......................……

Q16. Why?
X I wanted to know about the pregnancy in greater detail than what I was given

X No, cared for by a several midwifes.

X Yes  No

X Yes  No

 Yes X No

1994 to current date

Yes

20 years and over

Q4. Did you want a ...
Hospital Birth

Yes

Hospital

Spontaneous Vaginal

Yes

Ventous

Gas and air only

Yes

Gas & air, Pethidine, Epidural

NHS standard midwifery led childbirth classes

Books, Magazines

Q16. Why?
I had questions I didn't feel able to ask anyone

No, cared for by several midwives

Yes

Yes

Yes

The Midwife I had for the birth of my Daughter was brilliant! She talked through everything that was happening to make sure I understood and kept me calm when I was nervous.
When I first arrived however the Midwives that "cared" for me (only for about an hour) were awful, they ignored me when I entered the room & then disappeared without even showing me how to use the gas & air.
I also felt that (after the birth) the Midwives were very rude when I made the decision to formula feed my Daughter & ceased offering the help & advice they'd given when I'd intended to breastfeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadleyfai
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->