Calling all you crafty lot!!

BabyHaines

Mummy to baby George!!
Reaction score
Do we have any talented mums that can knit or sew or crochet etc?
b.a.b.i.e.s are helping to support the Baby Bereavement Group at our local hospital.
I have been asking them what they need/would like & they are after contributions to their memory boxes.
These boxes are given to parents of angel babies, so that they have something to treasure in memory of their beautiful angels.
They contain lots of little items, including knitted hats and cardi's, small knitted blankets & small patchwork type quilts.

They are always on the lookout for items......so, I was wondering if anyone could help?
I have listed below a few ideas, if you're interested, please, please let me know. It's for a fantastic cause :)
*patchwork quilts - small, upto say 16" x 16"?
*crotchet blankets (as above)
*small knitted blankets, with matching cardi & hat (these are often done in two's, so before baby's funeral, mum and dad can swap them over, so they get to keep the ones their precious bubba has worn) xxxx
*Is anyone good at anything like card making etc? I'm sure they'd love some beautiful cards that could be put in the boxes, that mum & dad could maybe keep a picture in?

*Our postnatal ward is also desperate for small (Tiny Baby size) hats.

If anyone could/would like to help, please get in touch.

Thank you xxxx

I do tons of card making, although have slowed down in the last few months since Noah came along to keep me busy!!

Let me have a dig through my craft boxes (as I loose track of what stuff Ive got!) and I'll come up with a few designs :flower:

Im not crafty enough for this, but heres my idea ;) What about little beaded bracelets that have their baby's name?

like this: https://cdn1.ioffer.com/img/1157094000/_i/13988985/1.jpg

Maybe someone could make up the bracelets but leave off the names and give the nurses/etc the alphabet letters so they could make the names or even give them to the parents to do.

Sounds like fantastic ideas :)

There must be some knitters out there....??

I can't knit and I just gave away all my tiny baby stuff :(

I can't knit either I'm afraid but my best friend lost her son Paddy on January 9th at 29 weeks. Paddy was due 11 days after my son Jasper and we both have 2.5 year old girls who are 10 days apart. This was and still is a heartbreaking experience but she and her husband really treasure Paddy's memory box as do I. I look at it from time to time and when Jasper is old enough I will show him and introduce him to what would have been his best friend, he also was my godson.

When she delivered Paddy the midwife suggested that they brought one of Niamh (their daughter) teddies to give to him so he would be with it and then when she is older they can explain that she had it as a baby and so did Paddy and now it is hers to treasure and it will give them a connection. This became very important to Paddy's parents but what she also felt she was missing was a teddy for him to be buried with. She couldn't face going to buy him one and also didn't want anyone else too but she did say that it would have been a lovely thing to have had. I was wondering whether anyone could knit some teddy's or dolls for girls to be given to these angels to look after them and take them through their burial and into their next life. They would only need to be really tiny as these babies are so small.

Quite teary again writing this. Thanks Baby Haines for doing this thread and any donations really are for one of the greatest causes around.

I can knit, but only at a very basic level, but I think I'd be able to do some blankets, but I don't think I could manage clothes. But I'd do that, yeah.

I should be able to manage patchwork quilts. Won't be able to do them awful quickly but I'll certainly give it a go.
Any particular colour/style??

Girls that would be fab :)
I'll double check sizes/colours etc an post back here ASAP.

Retromum - I'm sorry to hear about your friends loss. It must be truly devastating and so difficult for you to handle too.
The Teddy idea is a beautiful one. I'm about to email the MW that does the boxes & ask her for a list of exactly what she puts/would like to put in them.

ETA: I'm also in contact with the equivalent MW at Kings College Hospital in London. If I can get enough donations, I'll look to sending them on to her also, so these beautiful things can be shared with mums at that hospital too xxxx

Right I can knit but not very well. I might be able to get MiL on board though shes REALLY good and can do cardys etc. I could manage knitted blankets x

Laura that would be amazing. I've emailed Jillian to ask for more specific details xx

No worries em, when you find out what colours i'll pop to the wool shop in town. they've got a sale on cos its summer lol x

Hehe.
Right, there's a few options.
We could do with the following;
tiny baby cardi's & matching hats in pairs, in blue or pink or yellow or light green or any other suitable baby colours
newborn cardi's & matching hats in pairs (x2 so baby can wear one & parents can keep one)
Small blankets in the same colours as above (small enough to be used with a tiny bubba) - these could be either knitted or crocheted?
Mini patchwork quilts (again, for tiny bubba's) in baby colours.

We could also do with lots of tiny baby and newborn hats for the postnatal ward and any bigger baby blankets that the group could sell to raise funds for the many, many different things we do!!

Thank you all xxxx

My grandma used to knit tiny baby things for the hospital, I know they were always very grateful.

I could probably make some blankets but I'm not sure when I'll get the time. I'll give it a go though! For knitted ones, would they normally be the fancy ones with the patterns sewn in, or would straight knitting be ok? I started (and never finished) a huge one for LO that was stripes of girly colours and it's going to have a yellow border. I could do similar ones but little if they'd be ok, but I don't know if they'd be fancy enough.

For patchwork ones, do you think it would be ok to make the front out of cotton and then have a fleece back? I've only made huge ones for my own bed before with loads of wadding in, but I don't suppose a baby blanket would need that!

That would be fab. I'm not sure how fancy they need to be or not, I guess just whatever you can do?

As for the PW quilts, that sounds great - small ones that are fleece backed would be fine xxxx

Thanks, I'll try to make myself finish Leyla's blanket asap and then get started on some attempts!

F.A.O BabyHaines...

The sample cards that I said Id do for you to show the nurses/midwives...

Record tags on the inside:

I'll pop them in with the Bambooty's hun x

Ahhh pic link didnt work, hang on!

Pics....

Attachments

• SN852178.jpg
    SN852178.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 8
  • SN852182.jpg
    SN852182.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 9
  • SN852183.jpg
    SN852183.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 6
contact jo at her wahm business. i am sure she would help as this is a subject she can relate to. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Glos...15087495207412&ref=notif&notif_t=feed_comment

OMG Rach - they are beautiful!
Awwwwww, thankies!

DM2 - thanks for the link, I'll contact her xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back