Campaign to permenantly reduce the cost of formula

midori1999

Reaction score
I am not sure where is the most appropriate place to post this and appreciate the mods may want to move it, but what do you think?

Baby Milk Action are supporting a petition campaign to stop the marketing of infant formulas and in turn reduce the cost of infant formula permenantly.

Details here:

https://info.babymilkaction.org/pressrelease/pressrelease30may12

This is because the cost of advertising/promotion is passed on to the customer (as with everything).

Would you prefer to see formula prices permenantly lowered or do you think there's a need for advertising?

Absolutely agree with this. The cost of formula is horrible.

As bad as it sounds I went with what was cheapest (cow&gate) if they were all roughly the same price I would probably have spent my time reading the labels and doing some research.

I also chose C&G because when I was a baby it was the only milk that didnt make me ill x

I agree tbh, I get that the government are promoting breast feeding but there comes a point where formula prices are too OTT, especially for those on poor incomes and with cuts being made.

I kinda see both sides... obviously they advertise to sell their product, but yes, the cost does get passed down to us. For me, this is EXACTLY why we changed to generic formula. It's got the same strict guidelines etc... and the same nutrients/ingredients... but with no advertising = half the price! Literally! We now by $13 per container instead of $25! I also did research and talked to my LO's pediatrician and all agree there is no difference in quality, only price. So I chose that option. I guess life is about choice right? But it would be nice if name brands offered cheaper options- as some people don't even think about generic (I didn't for months?!). Also, name brands are the ones that offer "free samples"- then when you have to purchase yourself and don't or can't switch LO's formula (for whatever reason) your stuck paying the higher price. Even my Ped office only gives samples of enfamil etc... it's just silly.

Mmmmm a difficult one

Infant formulas are not advertised....so there shouldnt be advertising costs in their prices? Of course the manufacturers will also make follow-on milks which they do advertise.

I dont think the price is high at all......an £8 tin can last a week or more at the start - so less than £1 per day to feed a newborn - thats cheap to me!!!!!

Perhaps if they were more expensive then maybe more folk would consider breastfeeding??:flower:

I, like a number of others, am using my current formula because we decided to try LO on a different one, but the one we tried is cheaper and she's fine with it so we've stuck with it!

I understand that the government have to promote breastfeeding but the reality is that there are a lot of women who don't/can't breastfeed for a variety of reasons. Did you know you can't even earn clubcard points on first infant formula. we did clubcard voucher exchange and were not allowed to use them for formula and had a leaflet from ocado for £15 off an online shop, but first infant formulas were not allowed to be used to make up the minimum spend. I find all of this a bit overkill, plus the fact that they're not even allowed to have it on special offer ever.

ETA: I don't think the cost is particularly prohibitive tbh...they get much more expensive to feed as they get older...I just think they go a bit overboard with the whole "everyone should be breastfeeding" thing (I do not mean any offence to anyone here, I tried breastfeeding and it is HARD so I have the utmost respect for the ladies who continue to do it).

If only breastfeeding was the answer for everyone*. My brain is mush today!

I'd obviously like the cost of formula to be lower but I'm happy to pay the price as it is. There are more expensive formulas than the one I use.

I would like this. I spend $15 on a can of formula that lasts two days... :wacko:

I remember when I ff Summer two years ago I paid £7 something a tin. I now buy the exact same tin for Maci but lay £8.99 a tin. The increase is ridiculous. Maybe if I hadn't chosen to ff the price would bother me but as I did I knew what costs I'd be expecting etc. I didn't think formula was advertised so how is that costing? Think its ridiculous how you can't get advantage points etc on formula.

I don't think the price should be reduced by much though. It's just one of those things that need to be paid for and the cost of formula take up about half of your monthly child benefit money for LO?

To be honest, I don't see the issue. Feeding a baby solids a few months down the line isn't cheap either. Babies are expensive. It's not like people can't afford to feed their children in this country, there's benefits and tax credits for those on no/low incomes. And as long as there's a free market, ie any company can make and sell formula, I don't see why it needs regulating.

I don't see the prices going down. But in the US I know they have much cheaper store brand formula and stuff like enfamil and silminac (sp?) when I was pregnant I looked at the price of formula and it was like 25.00 for a small can of enfamil and targets brand was the same as enfamil and like 20.00 for double the amount of powder. And people in the US that can not afford formula (low income) have wic which pays for all forumla and from what I hear they give like 10 cans a month.

I dont think the price is that high. I think lowering the cost 'could' have a detrimental effect on how many mothers chose to breast feed. I think if the mother cannot for medical reasons breast feed then formula should be given out free on prescription.

I know in the US formula is relatively expensive, but I see it as one of those things that go with being a parent (like diapers, wipes, toys).

I don't think the price is that high either. Like a pp said, nearly £1 a day at the start isn't much really! Plus for low income families like us, the healthy start vouchers almost cover the price of the milk too so that lowers the price even more for people who may be struggling.

We're a low income family and don't qualify for healthy start. They keep sendin us letters about it though grr!!

But my time with formula is almost at an end! :D

I don't think it's fair to say that higher costs are good because they will force more people to breastfeed. I, myself, would LOVE to breastfeed my baby, but can't. So I'm stuck paying $18 a week (and that's the generic brand!) to feed my baby, so we're talking about $75 a month which is a significant amount for our tight budget, and I know that cost is only going to go up as she starts drinking more. :nope:

And I'm not trying to start a fight or anything, I just think it would be nice if people thought about us mommy's who have no choice but to formula feed. :flower:

I don't see the prices going down. But in the US I know they have much cheaper store brand formula and stuff like enfamil and silminac (sp?) when I was pregnant I looked at the price of formula and it was like 25.00 for a small can of enfamil and targets brand was the same as enfamil and like 20.00 for double the amount of powder. And people in the US that can not afford formula (low income) have wic which pays for all forumla and from what I hear they give like 10 cans a month.

I think that WIC drives up the cost of formula. There are two stores in my town that sell formula, one that accepts WIC checks and one that doesn't. The one that accepts WIC checks charges $19 for a can of formula, while the other store that does not accept WIC checks charges about $10 for the same can... hmm!!

I think that WIC drives up the cost of formula. There are two stores in my town that sell formula, one that accepts WIC checks and one that doesn't. The one that accepts WIC checks charges $19 for a can of formula, while the other store that does not accept WIC checks charges about $10 for the same can... hmm!!

Oh that's interesting! We don't qualify for WIC so are stuck paying $26 for a tub of formula that would sometimes only last 3 days. Definitely not affordable! Luckily I froze a ton of BM when I was BF/pumping so that helped a bit until it ran out :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->