Can anyone give me some epidural info please

Lottie86

Mummy to Findlay & Iona
Reaction score
Had an appt with my consultant yesterday and at the moment his plan is for me to try and have Kermit naturally with it being my first baby (although at my next appt in 4 weeks he'll see how I am and review natural vs csecion).

Due to my medical condition they need to try and avoid me getting too tired as my condition flares up when I'm tired which will make me even more poorly and so he has said as soon as I go into labour I will need to be put on a drip to keep me well hydrated as getting dehydrated could make me tired quicker and I will need a full epidural (apparently they usually use mobile ones) so I don't feel anything at all as he said pain can make you tired quicker as well.

Has anyone had a full epidural? What exactly are they like? How quickly after the baby arrives will I be able to feel my legs again and be able to walk around? Does the needle hurt when they put it in your back? Does it cause back pain afterwards? Do they have any side effects?

Will it make labour longer as I won't be able to move around? Will they tell me when to push as I am guessing if I can't feel anything at all I won't know when to push?

Anything else people can think of to tell me about epidurals would be appreciated, thanks!

Hi, I had a full epidural with my first, it was fine. I couldnt feel much but could just about move my legs but it was really hard, I couldnt really feel them and if I touched the skin I remember feeling kind of wierd because I coulnt feel it in my legs just in my hands (hope that makes sense!) The monitors told me when to push etc. I couldnt say if it made labour longer as I wasnt motoring along before (hence the epi)
After she was born I wanted to pee and they didnt want me to get up (about 3 hrs later) but I couldnt go on the bedpan so I waited till they left the ward and got up anyway, I felt like a newborn giraffe!! but it was OK. Its comparable to a c/section in that sense as you can move once the anesthetics have worn off which will vary a little person to person.
Dont worry about the actual procedure, you get a local first before the acutal needle goes in so you cant feel pain sensations from it, it does feel a little odd but no real pain.
There are side effects but they are rare (headaches and the like) as for ongoing backache I have to say I did have some for a while but I cant be totally sure it was the epi as pregnancy hormones can cause backache as we all know!

The headaches are rare-about 1 in 100 and i was unlucky enough to be the 1 last time!! they are horrendous and it lasted a week constant!!! I hope you are one of the lucky 99 that dont get it,good uck chick x

i had epidural and mine didnt work but in your case im sure they would persist until it did.
i didnt suffer headaches but i do suffer with back ache, i suffered horrendous spd whilst preg and now im getting back ache as least 3 times a week but nothing bad just achey pains

Lou
xxx

You should get a local anaesthetic before they put the epidural needle in - this feels a bit stingy but makes you numb quite quickly.

Being unable to move around can slow labour down, but even with a full epidural, it is sometimes possible to be able to change positions to aid labour.

Usually, after the epidural is off, feeling in your legs will return within a few hours, depending how dense your block was (how well it worked and how numb it made you)

When you are pushing, the midwife will guide you to help you push correctly (like you are doing a huge poo)

Good luck and look forward to hearing how you get on! xxxx

I've had 2 epidurals and have to say that the relief when they go in is immense, there's hardly any pain at all. I was unable to feel my legs at all so was completely immobile, but just sat as upright as possible. TBH I was just sitting up in bed watching telly having a laugh with the MW all the way through.

They will keep asking if you want it topping up, near to delivery they will let it run out so that you can feel to push.

I never needed any assistance (forceps etc) in delivering my 7lb
8oz ers.

I had an epidural with my first and never felt a thing to be honest, never felt pain with the needle going in or anything. It can be topped up when the pain returns. I never had any side effects with it at all. Even before that I had problems with my back but since then never had any problems! Once my baby was here and I was cleaned up and taken to the ward I was up after that to go to the loo, the nurse did get me into trouble for that but I was able to feel my legs and didn't know why she was stressing!!

From what I have read they say it takes longer to deliver a baby that way but this was my first so don't know to be honest and he was also back to back which takes longer to deliver seemingly. Becuase my baby was a back to back birth contractions were in my back and I couldn't feel them to be honest and the midwifes had me on a monitor which measured contractions and baby's heartbeat and told me when one was coming. Not sure if that is the same when baby is right way round.

The good thing for you is if you do have an epidural and can't deliver they can section you if necessary under the epidural.

Thanks everyone for all the brilliant advice :D

Sorry I can't help, this is my first and I having a section but I just want to say I hope everything goes well for you, take care :hugs: XX

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->