Can anyone recommend a breast pump?

Delamere19

Mummy to 2 gorgeous boys!
Reaction score
Hi ladies,
I am hoping to breastfeed my new baby. I didn't get to really do it for long last time for medical reasons after birth so I am still a novice. I am looking into breast pumps and was wondering if anyone can recommend a breast pump. Either manual or electric. Thanks x

I use the medela swing electric pump and find it very good. Got it online at amazon so got about £30 off what it is normally in the shops.

What are your goals for pumping? Will you be pumping occasionally, every day, several times a day?

A double electric is a must IMO if you are planning to pump very often. Medela PISA is a great one. If you're not sure you'll need one of those, you could just get a manual to start with -- never hurts to have one of those around, for when you are engorged during the night, forget to bring your electric pump parts to work, etc -- and then see if you end up needing an electric as well.

What are your goals for pumping? Will you be pumping occasionally, every day, several times a day?

A double electric is a must IMO if you are planning to pump very often. Medela PISA is a great one. If you're not sure you'll need one of those, you could just get a manual to start with -- never hurts to have one of those around, for when you are engorged during the night, forget to bring your electric pump parts to work, etc -- and then see if you end up needing an electric as well.

I'm not really sure yet tbh. I would like to be able to give my oh chance to feed the baby too but I think maybe not until I am established with a good supply. When do you actually start pumping from? Day one or when your milk comes in? X

Some people pump early on if they have issues with latching etc, but you're generally advised to wait 4-6 weeks until your supply has regulated. You really don't want to create an oversupply.

I waited until around 5 weeks. I found a manual one too much work. I pump once or twice a week to allow me some time out on a Saturday morning at the gym.

Some people pump early on if they have issues with latching etc, but you're generally advised to wait 4-6 weeks until your supply has regulated. You really don't want to create an oversupply.

I waited until around 5 weeks. I found a manual one too much work. I pump once or twice a week to allow me some time out on a Saturday morning at the gym.

Thanks for the advice. I am really grateful. I am thinking of electric breast pump as I have a condition which means I get painful joints and painful hands so I don't think I could cope with a manual one. X

Definitely electric then, manual is a pain! I don't have any such condition and I still find it annoying :haha:

I agree with Pielette -- you'd only want to pump early on if you are unable to nurse or need to supplement for some medical reason. Or if you are really really engorged, just to relieve some pressure, but you shouldn't remove any more milk than necessary or you can just make the problem worse.

I pumped for my boys while they were in the NICU before exclusively breastfeeding them and I wasn't very successful with the pumps and turned to hand expressing!

I used the Tommee Tippee Manual and can easily get 5oz in 20 mins :thumbup:

I have just bought a TT Electric to hopefully speed up the process as my friend gets her 5oz in 8 mins :winkwink:

Im using the avent electric pump. Its amazing and you control the speed you want to pump and then set it so the pump remembers..when you change to the next breast the setting will be the same and you van change it with a quick click. It also comes with a battery pack if you aren't by a plug socket and can be used as a manual to ;) there on sale in mothercare at the moment x

Thanks for all your inputs ladies it's much appreciated.

I have read about the tt electric pump and read bad things like it loses suction after a short time.

I think my 2 top choices are Phillips Avent and medela swing. Best get saving though!!

I will def remember the advice about not pumping too early too. I definitely feel a bit anxious about bf as I had problems establishing a supply last time due to a difficult birth and being really anaemic. Doesn't help that my MIL hasn't been very supportive and has made some comments about me not being successful last time. Really annoyed me! :growlmad:

I have the Dr. Brown's Simplesse and I love it, really easy on the nipples. Feels much more like the baby than the traditional vacuum pumping ones. The parts are finicky though, but they will send you replacement ones for free any time you have any issues, you don't have to go buy new ones.

I had to bring my supply in by pump in the NICU, I used the Medela Symphony, and then I rented it later, I am very familiar with suction based pumping, and I got equal or more milk out with the Simplesse and way more comfy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->