Can blood test show negative too early?

Shelley1317

Reaction score
I went to the hospital last night with stomach cramps and back aches. My stomachs been cramping for a couple days but the pain got a little too much, but I explained to them I've had cramps, back aches, headaches, nausea, vomiting and some days I'll have a very increased appetite. As soon as the doctor heard lower back ache he heard nothing else and said UTI. They did a urine sample and blood work and come to find out I have a uti but the test on pregnancy was negative, can they be wrong?? I'm only 8dpo today and I'm due to start my period next week. The nurse said they're pretty accurate but she also said it didn't hurt to wait and see if my periods been missed.

Yes, they can. It depends on a couple things. 1. how far you are, 2. when baby implanted, and 3 what kind of blood test they did. You are still so early and a baby can implant anywhere up to 12dpo. hCG doesn't start to rise until implantation so for that reason alone, there is still a very good chance for you.

The other thing is there are two blood tests that can test for pregnancy. If they did a qualitative hCG test it is a yes/no answer and it needs a decent amount of hCG to trigger the 'yes'. The other test is a quantitative hCG and that tells exactly how much hCG is in your blood and is the far more accurate test in my opinion. Some doctors feel anything over 5 is pregnant while others won't confirm it until it's over 25 but knowing the exact number will tell you more certainly than the other.

Also, I had a blood test done at 14dpo after suspecting I was pg. It came back negative so I went about my business. Two weeks later, I still hadn't gotten AF so I tested and it came up BLAZING bfp. DS is now 7.

Thank you!!! I've read that they can and basically what you said. They basically did an everyday blood sample where it checked my blood count, white blood cells and all that. They checked for everything basically. When the doctor said I wasn't pregnant my husband was so disappointed but I told him in my opinion it is still too early. I was 7dpo last night and honestly I'm not sure when we would've conceived if we did this time. I just know when I ovulated and when I'm due to start but I don't wanna feel discouraged really until AF comes

Yes it happened to me!!!! With my first I was about 8dpo and went for a routine physical and blood work at my fam dr. It was our first month that we threw caution to the wind and I asked him to throw in a beta blood test. It came back negative. I asked dr if I could drink and party and he said and I quote " hcg reaches blood Before it does urine, safe to say this month u aren't pregnant". Well, 3 days later I was cleaning out my bathroom and found a cheapie hcg test. Was on phone with my bff and till this day I have no idea why but I just decieded to poas, I was 11dpo I remember clearly. The test was an obvious positive! I fell off the toilet seat and dropped the phone in the bowl! LOL. Biggest shock of my life. Took 10 tests that day all bfp including a digi! Went back to dr with a ziplock of tests and was yelling "what is this ?!" Lol I was in shock ! Beta hcg that day came back at 117 and dd is now 5! Very possible, I'll never forget that

Lol thank you!!! I'm staying positive until I know for sure. The doctor just wrote everything off as soon as I said low back pain, so I didn't pay him any attention. When the nurse said they were accurate but wait for AF then I remained positive. I just wanted to know if anyone else experienced this.

I had a negative test at my dr on a Thursday, a negative hpt the following Saturday, then that Wednesday I had a very positive frer. So it is very possible that is just too early. :)

On average implantation happens at 9 dpo so at that point you would likely not even technically be pregnant even if you were to go on to get pregnant this cycle. I did have symptoms from 8 dpo with my first (headache and nausea) but not til late in the day on 10 dpo with my second. I suspect they are right and whatever you're feeling is more likely related to an infection than pregnancy (stomach cramping as in cramping in your actual stomach and pain isn't a normal pregnancy symptom) but that doesn't mean pregnancy symptoms won't start appearing in a few days though. Good luck!

The cramping is in my lower abdomen, not in the actual stomach. And what's weird is I don't have any symptoms of a uti, just the cramping. This is my first uti too so I really don't know what is going on. I just know the symptoms that were listed on the paper and I have none of them. I do have pregnancy related symptoms but who knows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->