Can I change my mind at this late stage?

Whatme

Reaction score
Hello, I'm booked in at the hospital, because in my previous pregnancies I've had high BP, with proteins and lots of swelling..
But this time around nothing? At all actually.. It's totally different, I had an easy and speedy second labour, and know I can do it at home, so I was wondering if my BP stays ok, could I change to a hb at this late stage? I'm 33 weeks?
I see the consultant next week, and at this rate he'll sign me off to the midwives..

Of course you can, and 33 weeks isn't late for changing to a home birth-they usually don't book you in for home birth until 34-36 weeks and theoretically you can choose a home birth at any point xx

Of course you can! In fact, you could go into labour and decide that you'd rather stay at home and they will send someone out to attend you. Granted, it does help if they know in advance so they can have directions to your house and your birth plan to hand and have been able to drop off some supplies, but they normally don't 'book' you in for a home birth til 36/37 weeks. I was always planning on birthing at home, but I had to wait til 36 weeks because I had a low placenta at 20 weeks and had to have a scan to check that it wasn't blocking the cervix. After my scan, I gave my midwife my birth plan to read at my 36 week check, and told her I planned to birth at home. I picked up the home birth kit from them at 37 weeks exactly and my daughter was born 5 days later. As long as you feel prepared (in your head) and have all the supplies you feel like you need in advance, then there is really no deadline about when you need to tell them. They might be more difficult about it if you've been under consultant care, but it's still your choice and they have to respect it.

Hope you decide on home birth though! Mine was awesome!

Thanks for your advice ladies, I'll discuss with the doctor next week, I'll bet he'll want to see me again at 36 weeks just to check, so fingers crossed after that, we'll be good to go.. X

In our area they don't drop off kits or do a homebirth visit at all - the come with it all on the day, so depending on your area, it may make absolutely no difference at all even if you change your mind right at the last minute :)

And remember - the consultant can't tell you whether or not you can have a homebirth - it's always your decision, you have to weigh up the advantages and risks for yourself :flower:

I just wanted to say how great it is that this pregnancy is going so much better! I'm happy for you that it sounds like you'll be able to get your homebirth. I envy how much easier it is over there to have a homebirth than it is here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadleyfai
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->