Can I eat cooked/vegetarian sushi?

ParisJeTadore

Mum to my beautiful kids!
Reaction score
I know this has probably already been asked before but since I am unsure...is it ok to eat out at a sushi restaurant if I stay away from raw fish? Also, is it a little over the top to be worried about the sushi being prepared on the same surface as the one they use for raw fish?

I LOVE sushi and have been craving it ever since I became pg so would love to be able to eat it again. Any thoughts?

You can eat it raw if the fish has been frozen first (most of it will have been but if eating out check with the restaurant first). Cooked is perfectly fine. Obviously you still have to avoid certain fish like swordfish/marlin etc but thats a separate issue. x

You have the concern of cross contamination... if you trust the restaurant I would think you're ok.

You can eat cooked sushi.

My ob said yes abosulety and i asked about the chef using the knife with raw fish and she said not to worry about that and to enjoy, but she also said to keep in mind the mercury content of the fish your eating, i was stoked thats valentines dinner yay!

You can eat it raw if the fish has been frozen first (most of it will have been but if eating out check with the restaurant first). Cooked is perfectly fine. Obviously you still have to avoid certain fish like swordfish/marlin etc but thats a separate issue. x

See my ob said no raw anything.. :shrug: I don't like raw fish at all so it didn't bother me.

I have had crab and shrimp sushi with this pregnancy, making sure I pick cooked rolls.

Thanks ladies!

I think I will stay away from the raw stuff (I tend to be overly cautious but I guess it doesn't hurt!) but I am really looking forward to having sushi, hooray!

See my ob said no raw anything.. :shrug: I don't like raw fish at all so it didn't bother me.

This is from National Health Service website (UK). I guess that some OB's will say that to be cautious.

Sushi

It's fine to eat sushi and other dishes made with raw fish when you're pregnant as long as the fish used to make it has been frozen first. This is because occasionally fish contains small parasitic worms that could make you ill. Freezing kills the worms and makes raw fish safe to eat.
Sushi sold in shops or restaurants, whether it's ready-made or made in the shop, should be fine to eat. This is because the raw fish the shop uses to make sushi must have been frozen at minus 20C for at least 24 hours.
If you make your own sushi at home, freeze the fish for at least 24 hours before using it.
Some raw fish used to make sushi, such as smoked salmon, doesn't need to be frozen before it's used. This is because smoking kills any worms in the fish.

I think if anyone worried about it then they should avoid it just for their own piece of mind. I take all the guidelines with a pinch of salt and pretty much eat everything that I used to. x

I was told that listeria is in the rice of sushi as it is cooked then cooled then sits in cabnit/fridge for a while. But I don't listen to that, I just had raw salmon sushi plus prawn and chicken sushi only 2 hours ago drizzled in soy sauce, SO damn good!

I wouldn't buy sushi past about 1 oclock tho just incase it's been sitting too long.

I was told that listeria is in the rice of sushi as it is cooked then cooled then sits in cabnit/fridge for a while. But I don't listen to that, I just had raw salmon sushi plus prawn and chicken sushi only 2 hours ago drizzled in soy sauce, SO damn good!

I wouldn't buy sushi past about 1 oclock tho just incase it's been sitting too long.

I've never heard of that before arj... I just called the healthlinks line and talked to a nurse. She told me to stay clear of raw fish but that it was perfectly fine to eat vegetarian or cooked sushi. So I will take her word!

i've been eating sushi but eat only vegetable rolls or crab and lobster at a very fresh sushi place. as long as you stay away from the fish i think you'll be find. so yummy!!

I love sushi but haven't had any raw stuff since I found out I'm pregnant. I have had the cooked and vegetable versions though. Still I can't wait to get back to the raw stuff!!!

Just got this from the net:

"Other than the already mentioned mercury and fish related food poisoning, issues with sushi may also be due to the rice which crazily enough is a common source of food poisoning if left hanging around lukewarm/reheated etc"

"I'm sorry to report that a very good friend of mine lost a baby at 5 months due to - you guessed it Listeria from Sushi she ate. This was not in NYC, but in a middle sized city in the North East US. It isn't the raw fish you need to worry about - it is bacteria - and trust me, I am not a germophobe, just a friend of someone who was devastated at the loss of a girl she never met".

I wonder if it really was the sushi tho. Who knows. Just follow your common sense I reckon and don't eat things that have been sitting for ages, or past use by dates etc

I'm all for eating it still tho. Did my last two pregnancies. My philosophy is pretty much any food can give you food poisoning or listeria etc if its been contaminated or is rotten or been sitting too long etc.

I'm all for eating it still tho. Did my last two pregnancies. My philosophy is pretty much any food can give you food poisoning or listeria etc if its been contaminated or is rotten or been sitting too long etc.

I was thinking about this too...I don't know how often I have seen pregnant ladies at my local icecream shop having soft serve...I eat leftovers from my fridge regularly...you take risk with almost anything you eat.

That said, I chickened out yesterday and got thai food instead! :dohh:
But I am certain at some point I will splurge and have some sushi :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->