Can I kiss my baby if I have cold sores?

booflebump thank you. I love your avitar picture. I lived in Africa from the ege of 9 through 19. My parents worked there studying big cats and I love the bond the female animals have with their young it so magical. Ever since I saw that and many animals givibg birth I've always wanted to be a mon myself.

no pun intended but your sister needs HELP--Who says something like that to someone they love? kissing is not advised when someone has active cold sore present but all that extra stuff is out of the world and very rare.

Thanks everyone. Shelly is really mean (sister) but she was being honest. I won't be kissing my baby at all. I've came to terms with it since I made this post. Its just not worth any risk to me at all even if the only risk is my kid gets cold sores too. I have done a lot of reading about it and I have been very worried about it. Well I have learned enough so that I am sure I am making a good decision. I read that cold sore hsv1 is actually worse for babies than hsv2. I love my baby too much to risk it. Thanks to everyone who listed when I first made this post.

Sparkly, that's a very sad decision to make!
Can't you just refrain from kissing when you have an active outbreak?
Remember that the majority of the population carry the cold sore virus so your child could just as well become infected by little friends at the nursery, love kisses etc...
Even if your child gets the virus (which will probably happen anyway) it doesn't mean that they will suffer like you do.
My mum has always suffered from cold sores. She refrains from kissing and sharing bottles or cups or anything like that when she has an active outbreak. My dad, my older sister and I don't suffer from cold sores at all, my little sister has had them very occasionally. In all likelihood most of us will carry the virus but it doesn't exactly infringe on our lives (just like you carry viruses and bacteria for all kinds of nasty illnesses around without falling sick).
Never being kissed by our mother, however, would surely have a much bigger influence on our lives! Can you imagine? I have to admit that I would feel very sorry for your child if you carried through with this and rather upset that you listened to your silly sister who doesn't know what she is talking about.
Do speak to your doctor or midwife about your fears and see what the qualified people say Xxx

I think what some people do not know is that cold sores are herpes. It is an infection, and should definitely be discussed with your doctor.

Petitpas there are many other ways to show affection other than kissing. There are cultures where people don't kiss babies at all and those kids seem to come out just fine. Its not worth any risk to me and there are risks even though people don't think cold sores are a big deal. I have spoken to my doctor about this. He said there are people who shed the virus even if they do not get out breaks and that those are the people who are usually spreading it just as I already assumed. My doctor doesn't recommend people kissing babies at all coldsores or not. I would rather have an alive baby thana baby to kiss. I also do not want to spread it to my child so they don't have to go through the same thing. You also have to worry about transporting it gentially your whole life. Its just a big mess I don't want my baby to ever have to deal with. Thanks

Hi sparkly, I'm glad you discussed it with your doctor. He/she would know better than most of us.
I'm sorry, reading back I think I sounded a bit judgemental. Not a good idea to write posts at 4am :blush: Apologies if there was any offense. I assumed you purely meant oral herpes which is very difficult to avoid contact with.
Even then, of course you can also show love without kissing and yes, your doctor will be the best person to advise :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->