can I make porridge with cow's milk?

Sarah lo

mum of 2 little monkeys!
Reaction score
I feel really stupid asking this as I'm weaning my second child :haha: but. Olivia was milk intolerant so she never had dairy in her diet till she was a toddler.

So basically Wesley is nearly 7 months and exclusively breast fed. I've been giving him cow and gate baby porridge for breakfast which I make up with water, but its annoying me that a box of the stuff only seems to last me about 5 days so I've bought him some readybrek. The trouble is that I can't express no matter how hard I try so I can't make it with breast milk and I don't fancy paying £10 for a tub of formula just to make his breakfast with if it's actually ok to make it with normal cows milk.

I think they can have cows milk in cooking from 6 months so does that mean this would be OK?

It is fine in cereal and cooking just not as a drink.

i will still never understand why not as a drink but can in cooking, i get that it replaces their formula or bm which they still need, but i just dont get why its so important not to give a drink of milk, what if i swapped LB's yogurt for a bit of milk, is that bad?
sorry to hijack your thread

Yes its fine in cooking or cereal.

Babymamma 93. It's not that a bit of milk on its own would cause any problems. It's that it shouldn't replace bm/formula as their main form of milk. There are a lot less calories in cow's milk, plus it doesn't contain all the nutrients and vitamins etc that breastmilk/formula contains. That's why they say age one, as food had usually replaced milk as their main form of nutrition by age one, so there is no longer the need for breast or formula milk.

Eta: didn't mean that to sound like you should stop bf at one, if you don't want too. Just that it's usually not their main source of nutrition anymore.

I agree with liz1982. I used cows milk in porridge from 6 mths it was just easier. Like she says it's just the vitamins etc that's missing in cows milk why it shouldn't be their main drink until they're one.

right so its not frowned upon to give a little drink of cows milk before one? just not a bottle full basically?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->