Can I request creating a sticky thread please?

bigbetty

Mammam to a princess
Reaction score
In the Formula Feeding section recently there have been a lot of threads about how to make formula, whether you can pre-make, how to store it etc.

I thought it might be a good idea to create a thread that provides the latest guidelines from the World Health Organisation for reference so that people can refer to it rather than creating a new thread each time. I know where to get the information from but I was hoping it could be made sticky so that it's easy to see and find.

If you don't think it's advisable then that's completely fine but just thought I would ask :)

i think its a good idea defo!

I'll speak to other admins about it. My one concern is that different areas have different guidelines which could cause some issues (well that and the guidelines always seem to be changing)!

I'll speak to other admins about it. My one concern is that different areas have different guidelines which could cause some issues (well that and the guidelines always seem to be changing)!

Thank you.

Below is a quote from the WHO website about why the guidelines were created and basically states it is a generic document designed to provide support and guidance for governments and countries. They have been in use since 2007.

I post it for your consideration.

Powdered infant formula (PIF) has been associated with serious illness and death in infants due to infections with Enterobacter sakazakii. During production, PIF can become contaminated with harmful bacteria, such as Enterobacter sakazakii and Salmonella enterica. This is because, using current manufacturing technology, it is not feasible to produce sterile PIF. During the preparation of PIF, inappropriate handling practices can exacerbate the problem.

Recognizing the need to address such hazards in PIF, Codex Alimentarius decided to revise the Recommended International Code of Hygienic Practice for Foods for Infants and Children. In doing so it requested specific scientific advice from the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) and the World Health Organization (WHO). FAO and WHO have provided this advice in the reports of two expert meetings held in 2004 and 2006 on Enterobacter sakazakii and other microorganisms in PIF. Part of this advice included a recommendation to develop guidelines for the preparation, use and handling of PIF.

In 2005 the World Health Assembly (WHA) of WHO requested the Organization to develop such guidelines in order to minimize the risk to infants.

These present guidelines are considered to be a generic document that will provide guidance and support for countries and governments. When adapted at the country level, conditions (i.e. climatic and socioeconomic differences, etc.) within the country should be reflected. Individual countries should outline minimum training requirements for parents, caregivers, and staff in hospitals and day-care centres.

Edit: Here is the link to the guidelines I wish to post too xx

https://www.who.int/foodsafety/publications/micro/PIF_Bottle_en.pdf

Sorry - hope you don't think I'm being pushy, just want you to have the facts. It most certainly won't be a problem if you decide against it, it's just a lot of ladies who reply to the threads I've read already advise this method and it just seems very repetative.

I understand there are people who do things differently and I wouldn't want it to be having a go at them, simply providing information on what is recommended as the safest way and then it is up to the individual to decide what they want to do.

Ok I'm going to shut up now :blush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->